New programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Annette

gainfully employed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are new programs in the works?

Members don't see this ad.

Annette, I'm not the best source for this info, but I don't like it when no one answers my queries, so I'll do my best to answer yours.

U of Tennessee is supposed to have one in the next couple of years. University of Kansas (!) is trying to get one for next year. San Antonio should have a (civilian) program either next year or the year after that. LSU-Shreveport wants one, too, as does U-So-Alabama.

I'm sure there will be at least one newbie next year, as every year for the last 20 or so there has been at least one newbie. Unfortunately, I don't know which of the places I listed above is closest.

Hi Annette

I was talking to a friend from florida last night, and she told me that there are plans to start a program at Univ of South Florida. I guess they have been recruiting people outside the match for this year and they eventually plan to participate in the match, when I don't know. maybe next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by pinbor1
Hi Annette

I was talking to a friend from florida last night, and she told me that there are plans to start a program at Univ of South Florida. I guess they have been recruiting people outside the match for this year and they eventually plan to participate in the match, when I don't know. maybe next year?

USF is in the match for this year.

i'm not the best source either but have heard from other 4th years on the interview that the following places are starting up new programs in the near future: Omaha NE, Des Moines IA, and Tampa. Actually I think tampa is interviewing this year but not in the match.

Actually I think tampa is interviewing this year but not in the match.

lbird, as Apollyon noted in the post right before yours, USF is in the match this year.

They did not participate in ERAS, but they are in the match. They just finished interviews last week. They interviewed close to 100 people.

I didn't interview there, but I heard that the PD is kinda stilted. Comes across as rude, per my classmate.

OK, let's talk dirt about all the crummy PDs out there. My vote for sleaziest: St. Luke's-Roosevelt. That guy is frightening to talk to. I felt like he wanted to rape me - and I'm a man! I can't imagine how the women felt.

Utah is also starting a program, I believe.

As the above posters have stated, Univ of South Florida has started a new program this year, PGY1-3, 6 spots. They got approval (from what I understand) too late to participate in ERAS, but they were accepting applications. They will be included in the match, however. And as far as I know, they are not signing people up outside the match. It should be a good program, since TGH is a nice big hospital in a nice part of Tampa that sees a huge gamut of patients. I think they are getting 70k visits a year...

And if any DO students are listening, I know that one DO residency lost their accreditation (or funding, one or the other) and their residents had to leave (Des Peres Hospital), and another one is in the works. My suggestion for any DO students out there looking for DO EM residencies, DO YOUR RESEARCH!

Originally posted by Hornet871
I didn't interview there, but I heard that the PD is kinda stilted. Comes across as rude, per my classmate.

OK, let's talk dirt about all the crummy PDs out there. My vote for sleaziest: St. Luke's-Roosevelt. That guy is frightening to talk to. I felt like he wanted to rape me - and I'm a man! I can't imagine how the women felt.

I interviewed at USF, and the PD was rather standoffish, but did not hit me as per se rude; he really lightened up when he interviewed me (he said that I wrote a "very interesting" PS (which is either very good, or very bad), and liked where I'm doing prelim, and that I went to military college), but I can see how he might look uptight.

As far as PD's, I have a whole take on that, but, when I wrote about it about a month ago, a certain frequent poster flamed me up one side and down the other, so I figured it wasn't worth it.

I've heard that UCSF is looking at starting a program by 2004.

Univ of Iowa has been trying for years. Brought in an ex PD who didn't get the job done really due to no fault of his own. They hospital is huge but the other services decend on the ED to take all the patients. They are trying hard to change but not a lot of success. The numbers are not really high and the acute stuff gets swept away fast, and there is not a lot of it. THe poplulation is young and not very rowdy.
Des Moines might be a good place. About 500k for pop. Got its bad parts as well. Why does Miami not have a program?
San Antonio would be sweet. I was in the military there and the Military hosp for Army and AF have a deal with the city to take all the GSWs for stabilization. SA is or was the drive by capital of the US. No kidding. Tons of turf wars in the latino gang population. Great town too.
RKS

I'd like to put in my two cents about the program director at St. Luke's Roosevelt (Dr. Lanoix), who has been bashed several times lately in this forum.
I did a one month 4th year EM rotation at St. Luke's-Roosevelt several months ago, and thought Dr. Lanoix was fantastic. He;s a young guy, with tons of energy and ideas, and a major focus on education. He used to be PD at Lincoln but switched over the SLR a little over a year ago. He's infectiously happy to be at SLR, as he was born, raised, and still lives just a few blocks from St. Luke's. He's a bit unorthodox in how he carries himself, and I can see how some interviewees might have been initially turned off. However, after speaking to him many times over the month and seeing him interact with the residents, I consider him to be in the top tier of PDs in terms of friendliness, dedication, etc.

A few years back when I visited Lincoln, Dr Lanoix interviewed me. He seemed to stress that the program was a "happy" one, in which he and Dr. Gernshiemer tried to make it one where, although the residents worked very hard, they came out as great clinicians. He also emphasized that research was not a terribly high priority.

During the interview, he did seem somewhat intense, but a nice guy nonetheless. The residents all seemed happy with the program, and said that Drs. Lanoix and Gernsheimer helped to keep it geared toward the residents. I think anyone working under him would have a great learning experience.

I've heard that the UCSF EM residency would start no earlier than 2005. Bummer for me, because I'll be applying to start 2004 and would love another option for getting a spot in CA.

Just discovered this site. Thanks for all the information!

Hey Quinn. I have been hearing rumors about a new DO program in AZ (maybe lake havasu city). Have you heard this?

If I don't match this year, I would go there! Spring Break year-round!

(This is only a rumor that is not confirmed)

Chris-

I am checking the AOA website now as we speak for the new site...

Nope, it didnt' register on there. So it may be in the planning stages...

However, I would caution some of the DO EM residencies as they have been known to be troublesome (one DO EM residency had to shut down a few months ago, with several residents scrambing for any open spot... this was in Oct/Nov!).

Q

Yeah, I applied to one. Didn't participate in that match.

I also heard University of Utah next year.