New required reading for all premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gut Shot

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, the thread title is a bit dramatic, but here's some food for thought.

Today former Senator Tom Daschle accepted the position of Secretary of Health and Human Services. Back in February he published a book entitled "Critical: What We Can Do About the Health-Care Crisis." The next four years are the ripest time to enact significant health care change as we've seen in many decades. Since Daschle is now the man, his book will likely provide valuable clues as to what he will try to accomplish, and how he will go about doing it.

It's only $16.29 at Amazon... I ordered my copy today. Not surprisingly, it's sales rank is now #29.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks Gut Shot, I'll definitely look into this...let us know how it is :)

EXCELLENT, consider it purchased.

Daschle should pay you....

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like it's required reading for me too (practicing doc).
But since I'm broke from my $700 car repairs this week, I'll see if my local library has it.

Reading "for fun" sucks:thumbdown: I'de rather clean toilets than read "for fun"

Sounds like it's required reading for me too (practicing doc).
But since I'm broke from my $700 car repairs this week, I'll see if my local library has it.

I got kicked in the groin with a $360 repair last month, so I feel your pain. Can't wait to own another Subaru.

hmm, no mega cheap used copies yet (or they sold out immediately after the announcement). i'll wait till the recent buyers put them up for sale. thanks for the heads up, definitely looking forward to reading this!

Thanks for the rec Gut Shot, I'll definitely look into it.

Bump, little dudes.

Edit: The Amazon sales rank is now up to #18.

Last edited:
Anyone know of a good book or website that outlines health care and all those good stuffs for n00bs? I seriously have no clue what medicare, global health care, etc. means. Thank you!

Anyone know of a good book or website that outlines health care and all those good stuffs for n00bs? I seriously have no clue what medicare, global health care, etc. means. Thank you!

I found "Sick" by Jonathan Cohn really helpful for that. It's interesting because he uses case stories but he also does a really good job of explaining what the current health care programs are and how they developed out of previous health care programs. Having everything in the context of history and real life situations makes it a lot simpler to understand.

Understanding Health Policy: A Clinical Approach By Bodenheimer. It was used as a textbook for a health policy course I took. Its any easy read though. Lots of vignettes that make it easy it understand. Your school's library probably has it

Members don't see this ad :)
Understanding Health Policy: A Clinical Approach By Bodenheimer. It was used as a textbook for a health policy course I took. Its any easy read though. Lots of vignettes that make it easy it understand. Your school's library probably has it

Great book.

Amazon sales rank for Daschle's book is now #15. Since yesterday morning the number of reviews has gone from four to seven. Shockingly, they largely fall along partisan lines.

You should just see if a local bookstore has it and read it there without paying for it hah. that's what I do at borders and b&n all the time. Suits me well. :)

Why do you think we leave chairs out all over the place? Just don't leave a giant stack in the cafe. That's all I ask. :laugh::thumbup:

Oh, and try one of our new caffeinated beverages!:D

(Actually, in the first couple of weeks of media exposure, popular books tend to sell out faster than we can display them, depending on the author and social relevance of the subject. However, new releases and best sellers are always 30% off [at Borders] with a possible upgrade to 40% with members-only [this is free] coupon, making the purchase affordable [because 27+ for cloth binding is ridiculous].)

You should just see if a local bookstore has it and read it there without paying for it hah. that's what I do at borders and b&n all the time. Suits me well. :)

typical cheap indian

[YOUTUBE]EKqdIDxoWBE[/YOUTUBE]

Does anyone know Daschle's stance on healthcare. I understand he's for massive reform of national healthcare built on the private sector. But, I couldn't find much.

Why do you think we leave chairs out all over the place? Just don't leave a giant stack in the cafe. That's all I ask. :laugh::thumbup:

Oh, and try one of our new caffeinated beverages!:D

(Actually, in the first couple of weeks of media exposure, popular books tend to sell out faster than we can display them, depending on the author and social relevance of the subject. However, new releases and best sellers are always 30% off [at Borders] with a possible upgrade to 40% with members-only [this is free] coupon, making the purchase affordable [because 27+ for cloth binding is ridiculous].)

Haha, I work at Border's too. People leave stacks and stacks of magazines in the cafe all the time :(

If you print out the coupons, you'll get a pretty great price. Some are better than my discount.

I just got it off of ebay. THANKS!

Alright I bought this book with some christmas gift cards and all that. finished it earlier today. the idea of a federal health board that mirrors the federal reserve is definitely an interesting system to model our healthcare system around. although our deepening economic crisis is probably gonna push this back, but i believe a new healthcare system should be PART of revitalizing our financial system since an ever increasing % of our money is going towards healthcare.

Hmmm, with all the skeletons turning up in Daschle's closets, his appointment might be hosed.

Hmmm, with all the skeletons turning up in Daschle's closets, his appointment might be hosed.

We'll see. Geitner also had a bunch of tax issues but he went through but his were fewer and had an excuse. Even if daschle doesn't get through I think Obama is pretty set on a third party quasi public group to run healthcare so someone similar will come up.

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:
I used the money to buy a nice pair of headphones instead so I can crank up the music and feign ignorance :cool:

Last edited:
Daschle withdrew from his nomination for HHS. So, I guess this book will be dropped from these pre-meds' required reading lists...

No, but really - it's a pretty interesting book that everyone should read.