New research this summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Decathlete

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am applying for the 2014-2015 cycle and have a few questions. I've been pretty lucky to be accepted to an amazing research program and will be working with a "famous" PI in my field this summer. It was really a struggle to decide whether or not I wanted to pursue a new experience in the summer before senior year, but his research lines up extremely well with my current research, and I really think this will be a life changing opportunity. It doesn't officially start until July 1st.

My questions are this:
1) Forums suggest to not list future activities (can I even on AMCAS?) I think I will list this though because I have already been accepted and have already begun making (informal) presentations through my program showing what I will be working on. I've put in quite a bit of time reading up on what I will be doing. I am also not listing this activity for the purpose of "upping" my hours. What are everyone's thoughts?
2) Should I approach this new letter of recommendation as an updated letter to be sent later in the application process? The program ends in September and ideally I would give my new PI time to write it. How would a letter like this work? I am considering calling every program I apply to about this second question.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

List the experience in your AMCAS, giving a description of your proposed project. Follow up at the end of the summer with an update of the project's outcome. The letter of recommendation will be important, so encourage your PI to submit it no later than mid-October.

Thank you for the response! My biggest concern here is then how do I make sure my application is thoroughly reviewed before this last letter is received? I will have all the required letters without this new one, but will my application be on hold if admissions is expecting the new letter? Is the answer just to hope that my application is strong enough to get an interview invite without the new letter?