New residency program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microscp2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody, I matched in Family which I love, however I am away from home. I just found out today of a new fam med program that will open next year in my hometown. Do they usually have only PGY 1 openings when they start fresh? or they would also have PGY 2. This would be living testimony of answer to my prayers.

Members don't see this ad.

maybe they don't have a phone yet...but u could try calling over there and asking. but prolly just r1

New programs usually have all positions open. They like to fill PGY-1 and PGY-2 slots. You have to check with the program to be sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
New programs usually have all positions open. They like to fill PGY-1 and PGY-2 slots. You have to check with the program to be sure.
Yes, they will have PGY-2, They don't know how many yet!!!!

Hello everybody, I matched in Family which I love, however I am away from home. I just found out today of a new fam med program that will open next year in my hometown. Do they usually have only PGY 1 openings when they start fresh? or they would also have PGY 2. This would be living testimony of answer to my prayers.
Do you really want to match, presumably into a quality program, then pay to relocate, spend a year getting settled to then just pay to relocate and resettle again? Presumably where you matched is a tried and true program with experience and reputation.

Why not go there, get really well trained and complete your three years. You can then decide what you want to do practice and location. You may return back home and be faculty at this new program after they have sorted out some of the logistics and pilitics that are the nature of any new program.

In general, convenience wise and such, it is always better to start and complete at one program. Rather then an answer to your prayers, this may just be a bird in the bush temptation.....

Maybe it's just me, but I would be leery of leaving a well-established program to join a brand-new program that won't have any of the kinks worked out yet. Especially given that when you transfer programs, even from one well-established program to another, there are discontinuities and inconsistencies between the sequencing of rotations and requirements from program to program. This could be quite a gamble in terms of your overall quality of your training experience.

For me personally, I did not want to be a program's "guinea pig" during residency. I did interview at program that was only in its 2nd year of existence, at a very prestigious institution and with some potentially great opportunities. But ultimately I decided to rank several well-established programs higher, because for me, the stress of residency seemed like enough to handle, without the additional chaos of the inevitable growing pains of a new program.

...I would be leery of leaving a well-established program to join a brand-new program that won't have any of the kinks worked out yet. ...even from one well-established program to another, there are discontinuities and inconsistencies between ...from program to program...
There was a thread in this forum some time ago in which folks were trying to argue and/or justify counting deliveries towards their "continuity delivery" requirement to be boarded. It was suggested or mentioned by some that if they followed the [logging] requirements they would have difficulty meeting the requirements as they are. Another individual mentioned a colleague that had to remain beyond graduation to meet their continuity requirement. These examples were presumably within established programs.

In transferring, you will loose all of your pending continuity OB patients. Presumably, the new program identified a community need and clinical volume to support a program. However, that does not mean said volume will come over to the new program at any particular speed. You have no way of knowing what type of experience you will receive.

The new program has no residency or community track record. There may be some real "go getters" and hot shots that apply.... but, not uncommonly, a new program will start with ~lower caliber medical grads and as it develops a reputation attract increasingly higher caliber applicants. This maturation process takes years and usually several cycles of FULL program completion graduates.

In transferring, you will loose all of your pending continuity OB patients.

Meh. This shouldn't be a major factor in your decision calculus. Just make sure you're comfortable with the mechanisms they have in place for you to hit your numbers.

Echoing crazy, where is this new program?

I am planning to apply to Family medicine residency but unfortunitely i donot have a fam med LOR i have the following LOR'S please tell me which one's should i submit for family med residency application.
1)IM 2010
2)neurology 2010
3)nephrology 2010
4)radiology 2010
5)phych 2009
6)rheumatology 2009
7)i have a good research exp LOR 2010
which ones are ideal to submit for FP i have no idea i need guidance please.do i submit them in preference to recently dated or what?
please guide me,
Thanks!

I am planning to apply to Family medicine residency but unfortunitely i donot have a fam med LOR i have the following LOR'S please tell me which one's should i submit for family med residency application.
1)IM 2010
2)neurology 2010
3)nephrology 2010
4)radiology 2010
5)phych 2009
6)rheumatology 2009
which ones are ideal to submit for FP i have no idea i need guidance please.do i submit them in preference to recently dated or what?
please guide me,
Thanks!

I'd probably use the IM one.

1)IM 2010
2)neurology 2010
3)nephrology 2010
4)radiology 2010
5)phych 2009
6)rheumatology 2009
please guide me,
Thanks!
So, I don't know how many letters you can/need to submit. However, it used to be like 3-4. So, if you have a collection of good letters, submit IM, Psych, & rheum and make the point that they all show how well you do with a broad range of specialties.

But, the question has not been asked. Why don't you have a good FM letter either from a rotation attending or an FM mentor/advisor. Not a question you need to answer here. However, it will likely be a question asked on interviews and such. The fact that you have done well in multiple specialties may not be as important as an appearance that you lack a focus/true interest in any specialty. FM is a specialty and you need to reach out and have a true understanding of what it entails. Get a mentor in FM. Do yourself a favor and at least do an FM sub-I if you haven't had an FM rotation for whatever reason.

If you are applying to FP residencies, you need to make sure you have other primary care LORs. Since you don't have an FP LOR, other primary care LORs include IM (which u have) and pediatrics.

In your case docfats08, I would include IM, psych (a lot of primary care involves psych), and Neuro or Nephro LORs. U will be asked about your research, but unless it specifically involved direct patient care it would not be a good LOR to submit.

Good Luck!

Thank you all so much for your kind advice. The reason why i don't have a FP LOR IS because it is very difficult to obtain an observership/sub I in family Med I did try but was unable to get it so I decided that something is better than nothing.From the advice that you all have given me I have decided to submit the following LOR's.You can only submit 4 LOR's.
1)IM
2)psych
3)neuro
4)nephro

Please feel free to give any further tips, once again thank you all.

Regards,
Fatima