New student loan interest rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalguy1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today Obama announced that he will let students consolidate their loans at a lower interest rate and also lowered the IBR from 15% to 10% over 20 years.. What does this mean for us dental students??

Members don't see this ad.

Today Obama announced that he will let students consolidate their loans at a lower interest rate and also lowered the IBR from 15% to 10% over 20 years.. What does this mean for us dental students??

It means he's getting nervous and wants your vote

Members don't see this ad :)
He's got my vote! Last thing you should want is to have some redneck Republican come into office to end up changing all the school loan terms and then being screwed for the next 15 years after dschool.

He's got my vote! Last thing you should want is to have some redneck Republican come into office to end up changing all the school loan terms and then being screwed for the next 15 years after dschool.

Haha! First off i don't think that changing student loan terms are anywhere near the top of agendas for either party. Secondly, the candidate that currently has my vote, saved Massachusetts from a 3 billion dollar deficit, ran a billion dollar company, has an estimated worth of 200 million, and has a JD/MBA from Harvard.... sounds like your typical redneck republican right?!

Cain and Romney, the 2 republican frontrunners = rednecks?

You need to do a little reading.

Also, remember, when you are a dentist someday the last thing you will want is someone spending most of your money. You should be able to use/donate the majority of it how you chose.

It means he's getting nervous and wants your vote

It's not like he will have any trouble winning again anyways. He has no real challengers from the democrats or republicans.
Anyone wanting to run against Obama will waste their time, and would probably be wiser to save their funds for '16 when Obama's term ends.

Obama had a beast campaign in '08, and will have another beast campaign in '12.

Anyways, the 0.5% cut in interest rate isn't that significant, and it doesn't make up for the recently discontinued subsidized Stafford loans, but at least we're heading towards the right direction.

The IBR 10% over 20 years can be huge for though for those who are attending expensive private dental schools (USC, NYU, Tufts, BU etc), and plan on doing general dentistry. At least this will give these students the peace of mind knowing that they can still allocate their money for other expenses and the loans won't suffocate them.

It's not like he will have any trouble winning again anyways. He has no real challengers from the democrats or republicans.
Anyone wanting to run against Obama will waste their time, and would probably be wiser to save their funds for '16 when Obama's term ends.

Obama had a beast campaign in '08, and will have another beast campaign in '12.

Anyways, the 0.5% cut in interest rate isn't that significant, and it doesn't make up for the recently discontinued subsidized Stafford loans, but at least we're heading towards the right direction.

The IBR 10% over 20 years can be huge for though for those who are attending expensive private dental schools (USC, NYU, Tufts, BU etc), and plan on doing general dentistry. At least this will give these students the peace of mind knowing that they can still allocate their money for other expenses and the loans won't suffocate them.

Spot on

So for those SDN members who might have no idea what any of these words mean (me!), can someone elaborate?