New Texas Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kelly11

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm going to be applying next cycle, and as a Texas resident, i'm aware that we have 2 news schools opening: UT Austin and UT Edinburg (Pan American). I was wondering if UT Edinburg will focus on recruiting students that live in south texas near the border and accept more Latinos that other ethnicities. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would assume so! I think the regional bias may be similar to the Tech schools. As for proportion of ethnicity, I think it would be more skewed towards Hispanics, but I think they would have a very diverse class still. This is just speculation though!

If Tech - El Paso is any indication, then yeah, their goal will probably be training primary care physicians for the area with a focus on Latino culture. But, also like El Paso, I'm sure they'll still cater to all sorts of students and specialties.

Members don't see this ad :)
These three for sure:

1. University of Texas at Austin - Dell Medical School
2. University of Texas–Rio Grande Valley
3. University of the Incarnate Word (DO school)

University of Houston is also in discussion of opening up a new medical school. 12 medical schools, possibly 13?! Woa.

Reactions: 1 user
University of Houston has been discussing that for around 6 years lol. They are pretty sure it's not going to happen, because Baylor and UT Houston already share the hospitals and there are already 2 schools in the city. Just my opinion though:)

whaaaa? I haven't heard of University of Incarnate word! Anything about that school seem worthy to note?

What hospitals do UT and Baylor share?

The Texas Medical Center hospitals. Basically, from what I heard ( I go to UT and there was a discussion about this), Houston doesn't want to add another medical school when there's already 2 that primarily rotate there, while UTMB for example does some rotations there. Just what I heard at school, but I could be wrong!

The Texas Medical Center hospitals. Basically, from what I heard ( I go to UT and there was a discussion about this), Houston doesn't want to add another medical school when there's already 2 that primarily rotate there, while UTMB for example does some rotations there. Just what I heard at school, but I could be wrong!

Yea Houston now has UT Houston, Baylor, UTMB, and A&M all rotating there... But then again there's over 20 hospitals in the TMC alone so I guess there's enough.

Yea Houston now has UT Houston, Baylor, UTMB, and A&M all rotating there... But then again there's over 20 hospitals in the TMC alone so I guess there's enough.

I just don't see Texas having 13 medical schools lol. Although it would be nice, even if it wouldn't be open by the time I apply

I just don't see Texas having 13 medical schools lol. Although it would be nice, even if it wouldn't be open by the time I apply
I agree with you that Houston probably won't open theirs since they've been "discussing" since 2007, but if 12 schools are already confirmed then is 13 really that hard to imagine at some point? (wherever it may be)

Let me clarify a few things here.

UT-H and BCM don't "share" any hospitals. BCM's students rotate through Ben Taub Hospital and UT-H sends their kids to Memorial Hermann. I do know that at BCM, you can chose to do a small rotation at UT-H and whatnot. But they're not "sharing" any schools.

University of Houston has been in talks of opening a medical school for a very long time, but it looks like it will happen by the end of this decade. It's no small challenge to plan a med school. I heard that UH has been actively exploring this and here's a good link: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/loc...tor-highlights-accomplishments-5791219.php#/0

Also lol at @mimelim, that was a rhetorical question

As always, don't be that Texas premed who doesn't apply to all the schools. When you submit your application for med school as a Texas resident, you should have every med school checked off on TMDSAS and Baylor on AMCAS. You never know, and your goal is to be a doctor, not to get into X school. I know people who didn't apply to certain school "because they weren't competitive". That's BS. You should apply everywhere in TX cause you live in the greatest state with the highest acceptances for med school (70%+ must be IS)

alright rant/rave over. back to MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me clarify a few things here.

UT-H and BCM don't "share" any hospitals. BCM's students rotate through Ben Taub Hospital and UT-H sends their kids to Memorial Hermann. I do know that at BCM, you can chose to do a small rotation at UT-H and whatnot. But they're not "sharing" any schools.

University of Houston has been in talks of opening a medical school for a very long time, but it looks like it will happen by the end of this decade. It's no small challenge to plan a med school. I heard that UH has been actively exploring this and here's a good link: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/loc...tor-highlights-accomplishments-5791219.php#/0

Also lol at @mimelim, that was a rhetorical question

As always, don't be that Texas premed who doesn't apply to all the schools. When you submit your application for med school as a Texas resident, you should have every med school checked off on TMDSAS and Baylor on AMCAS. You never know, and your goal is to be a doctor, not to get into X school. I know people who didn't apply to certain school "because they weren't competitive". That's BS. You should apply everywhere in TX cause you live in the greatest state with the highest acceptances for med school (70%+ must be IS)

alright rant/rave over. back to MCAT.

I personally won't apply to UT Edinburg simply because I would not like to live near the border. It's a personal preference of mine, and if that means I don't get in anywhere then it is what it is :) Good luck on your MCAT

Also: https://www.bcm.edu/about-us/affiliates/education-affiliates

They do share a few, namely Texas children's.

I personally won't apply to UT Edinburg simply because I would not like to live near the border. It's a personal preference of mine, and if that means I don't get in anywhere then it is what it is :) Good luck on your MCAT

Also: https://www.bcm.edu/about-us/affiliates/education-affiliates

They do share a few, namely Texas children's.
It's a terrible idea for you to not apply just because of that. You may not get in even if you do apply. On the other hand, you may not get in anywhere but that place. I haven't been through the cycle yet but I'll be in it with you in this upcoming one

TMC is like the largest medical center i the world, with something like 40-50 hospitals in a few square miles, theres enough hospitals for another 100 students or two, to rotate through im sure.

As always, don't be that Texas premed who doesn't apply to all the schools. When you submit your application for med school as a Texas resident, you should have every med school checked off on TMDSAS and Baylor on AMCAS. You never know, and your goal is to be a doctor, not to get into X school. I know people who didn't apply to certain school "because they weren't competitive". That's BS. You should apply everywhere in TX cause you live in the greatest state with the highest acceptances for med school (70%+ must be IS.

Actually, it's 90% for the public schools, so even better. I believe Baylor is required to accept 70% IS.

The advice to apply to every school is right on target. Would you really want to risk giving up your dream career because you're not willing to even VISIT a school to SEE if you might like it? A very foolish presumption. And you may be very pleasantly surprised by the caliber of the facilities and faculty. (Read the TT El Paso school specific threads.)

It's a terrible idea for you to not apply just because of that. You may not get in even if you do apply. On the other hand, you may not get in anywhere but that place. I haven't been through the cycle yet but I'll be in it with you in this upcoming one

Good luck:) And for me it's not a terrible idea. But thanks for your advice. And also guys this is just stuff i've heard from meetings at the University of Texas. So of course it could be wrong, but just repeating what was said.

Actually, it's 90% for the public schools, so even better. I believe Baylor is required to accept 70% IS.

The advice to apply to every school is right on target. Would you really want to risk giving up your dream career because you're not willing to even VISIT a school to SEE if you might like it? A very foolish presumption. And you may be very pleasantly surprised by the caliber of the facilities and faculty. (Read the TT El Paso school specific threads.)

I don't think it's a foolish presumption. As someone who's lived in Brownsville for several years, i'm not a huge fan of the area. And I would rather wait a year, improve my stats, and then apply elsewhere. But that's just for me :)

I don't think it's a foolish presumption. As someone who's lived in Brownsville for several years, i'm not a huge fan of the area. And I would rather wait a year, improve my stats, and then apply elsewhere. But that's just for me :)
Alright...but you better have a good answer in an interview as to why you chose not to matriculate that year, because I don't think "I didn't want to live there" will cut it

I'll see you around! :)

Alright...but you better have a good answer in an interview as to why you chose not to matriculate that year, because I don't think "I didn't want to live there" will cut it

I'll see you around! :)

Good luck on your MCAT:)

I've heard of Dell at UT, but haven't heard of the other two. That's great news. More Texas schools to apply to, and maybe more of a chance to get in, however big or slim that chance may be.

That's pretty silly. If someone doesn't want to attend one of the Texas schools, why should they apply? Yes, it increases your chances of matriculation to apply to every school, but chance of matriculation is NOT the only factor. Location and mission are important too, and if you know a school isn't a good fit for you, you shouldn't waste their time.

I applied to every school in Texas, but I know many who didn't apply to a couple because "They would rather reapply than go there." That is absolutely their choice to make. Don't berate others when their values don't correspond with your own.

Reactions: 1 users
That's pretty silly. If someone doesn't want to attend one of the Texas schools, why should they apply? Yes, it increases your chances of matriculation to apply to every school, but chance of matriculation is NOT the only factor. Location and mission are important too, and if you know a school isn't a good fit for you, you shouldn't waste their time.

I applied to every school in Texas, but I know many who didn't apply to a couple because "They would rather reapply than go there." That is absolutely their choice to make. Don't berate others when their values don't correspond with your own.

Thanks! So many people just apply for the sake of getting in, even though they would be miserable there. For example, I wouldn't apply to Loma Linda simply because although i'm religious, I don't think I would quite fit in with the atmosphere of mission based activity and no alcohol etc. This is the same thing.

The "rather reapply than go there" philosophy is really only valid if you know a lot about the school and locale. Making that decision based on what you think the location is like based on everything you've heard is short-sighted.

Reactions: 2 users
The "rather reapply than go there" philosophy is really only valid if you know a lot about the school and locale. Making that decision based on what you think the location is like based on everything you've heard is short-sighted.

You should worry about your own application/school and let others decide what they want to do. I'll repeat it again: I lived in the general vicinity of the new school and did not really like it. And let's say you don't like it, apply and get in and are very unhappy the 4 years you are there? Happiness is an important part of doing well in school. So thanks for your opinion but let others have their own.

Not necessarily; it can also be about distance from family. A friend of mine who is extremely close with his family knew he wouldn't want to live in Lubbock or El Paso simply because of how much more difficult it would be to see them. If he's determined that that's something important to him in a medical school, then that's his choice and doesn't make it short-sighted. It just means he has different priorities.

If a school isn't a good fit for you, you're not going to get accepted. That's for the actual medical school to decide, like @DokterMom basically just said.

And yeah I get what you're saying. But while you may be one of the few people who can select which school to apply to, I know tons of students who would be more than happy to just get into a medical school, regardless of the location. At the end of the day, yes going to somewhere like El Paso may not be your first choice, but I'm speaking from the perspective that there's people that'll take any place they can get.

There's no telling of your happiness 4 years down the line. Happiness comes from so many places, and that's all I'm going to say about that.

Also Kelly, not to sound salty here but I saw your thread on AMCAS where you posted your stats. You should apply to all the schools. It is literally, the most logical thing to do.

If a school isn't a good fit for you, you're not going to get accepted. That's for the actual medical school to decide, like @DokterMom basically just said.

And yeah I get what you're saying. But while you may be one of the few people who can select which school to apply to, I know tons of students who would be more than happy to just get into a medical school, regardless of the location. At the end of the day, yes going to somewhere like El Paso may not be your first choice, but I'm speaking from the perspective that there's people that'll take any place they can get.

There's no telling of your happiness 4 years down the line. Happiness comes from so many places, and that's all I'm going to say about that.

Also Kelly, not to sound salty here but I saw your thread on AMCAS where you posted your stats. You should apply to all the schools. It is literally, the most logical thing to do.

Like I said before, I wont apply where I wouldn't want to live. And I think my statistics make me average at most other schools in Texas. You should probably get off studentdoc and study for the MCAT :) Good luck!

Thanks everyone for your opinion! I think everyone can make up their mind whether to apply to a school or not. Everyone knows what benefits them and other people are nice to offer advice, but at the end of the day, the person knows what's best for him/herself.

Thanks everyone for your opinion! I think everyone can make up their mind whether to apply to a school or not. Everyone knows what benefits them and other people are nice to offer advice, but at the end of the day, the person knows what's best for him/herself.

As you've said, you have enough information about south Texas to know that's not where you want to be. Others are basing their opinions only on what they've heard. I'm not talking about you @Kelli11.

UT doesn't go to Texas Children's. They have their own children's hospital.
UTH rotates @ MDACC, Memorial Hermann and LBJ.
Not 100% sure about BCM but ik for sure they rotate at Methodist.

UTH rotates @ MDACC, Memorial Hermann and LBJ.
Not 100% sure about BCM but ik for sure they rotate at Methodist.

I actually don't think they rotate at Methodist. Methodist split from BCM a couple years ago. Cornell rotates at Methodist.

Like I said before, I wont apply where I wouldn't want to live. And I think my statistics make me average at most other schools in Texas. You should probably get off studentdoc and study for the MCAT :) Good luck!

Your stats are below average for the current UT schools + Baylor.

I actually know one person who only applied to 2 UT schools one app year and was rejected flat out just cuz of the fact they didn't apply to all TX schools.

Don't make the mistake of not applying to all TX schools (including TCOM)!

I know my MCAT is not below average and I don't need to get into a UT school lol

Your stats as a whole are below average at those 5 schools (aka you are not "average at most other schools in Texas"). Where exactly do you hope to get into?

Your stats as a whole are below average at those 5 schools (aka you are not "average at most other schools in Texas"). Where exactly do you hope to get into?

Ideally a school in Texas, obviously hah and thanks for the concern about my scores (which I didn't even post here lol).

Med school is a seller's market. Limiting yourself to schools in desirable locations (especially in a state like Texas) is extremely short sighted.

Having a choice of schools is a bonus, but not one you should count on. There really is no domestic location bad enough to justify putting off a year of school (especially since doing so isn't gong to help your chances at schools that are closer to home/better location/more urban/etc.)

Limiting options for yourself when they exists is pissing opportunities down the toilet, and it's a very dangerous thing to do given the competitiveness of the process.

Reactions: 1 users
Ideally a school in Texas, obviously hah and thanks for the concern about my scores (which I didn't even post here lol).

Just giving you a reality check. You act as though you have your pick of schools when that couldn't be further from the truth. Good luck with your application goals of 2015.

Just giving you a reality check. You act as though you have your pick of schools when that couldn't be further from the truth. Good luck with your application goals of 2015.

Thanks! And I don't need a reality check, I am perfectly capable of looking up statistics for schools. :)

Thanks! And I don't need a reality check, I am perfectly capable of looking up statistics for schools. :)

I didn't mean to rustle your jimmies (your PM seemed quite a bit salty), and I never said you wouldn't get accepted anywhere. In fact, I think you're a shoo-in for TCOM, a good school in a good location. :)

I grew up in the largest city in the US, im fairly confident I know enough about myself to know I would NOT enjoy living el paso or edinburg without ever having visited either locale... But thats just me. You know whats kinda short sighted, you thinking you know me better than me knowing me. :rofl:

On the contrary, I grew up in one of the largest cities in the US, but attended undergrad in a very rural town. When I arrived, I realized I didnt know I was thinking when I applied. But I grew to enjoy it and grew a lot.

Of course everyone knows themselves best. Just putting it out there that if you're on the fence, keep an open mind.

I actually know one person who only applied to 2 UT schools one app year and was rejected flat out just cuz of the fact they didn't apply to all TX schools.

Don't make the mistake of not applying to all TX schools (including TCOM)!

I had a different experience with not applying to all TX schools. I only applied to UTH, UTMB, UTSW, and TCOM. I knew I wouldn't be happy in any of the other cities. I ended up getting in to my top choice and don't feel as if my application/chances were hurt in the slightest. At the end of the day though, my N=1, same as your friend.