New to MCAT studying, need some advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmm080

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm planning on taking the new MCAT sometime in 2017 and would like to get a head start on studying (looking at around a 6 month schedule). There is so much self-study material to choose from and I am totally lost on what I should purchase.... Is online better than actual books and who has the best self-prep? (Kaplan, Princeton, etc.) I am definitely a EXTREMELY poor test taker (will most likely be getting a time extension for the MCAT) and would like to purchase self-study material that reflects not only the key concepts needed to do well, but prepares me for the types of questions the MCAT will ask.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I liked Kaplan's set. They have a nice 7-book set (I think?) for around $200. If you are doing a course, I think Princeton might have better courses. I did self-study with Kaplan's books for 4 weeks straight, got 522 on MCAT. Other friends of mine did the Princeton courses, got scores ranging from 517-523. Depends on whether you are self-studying or doing a course.

Thank you for the feedback! I definitely would like to do self-study, I was thinking of purchasing either Kaplan or EK. along with the AAMC practice package.

Personally, I liked Kaplan's set. They have a nice 7-book set (I think?) for around $200. If you are doing a course, I think Princeton might have better courses. I did self-study with Kaplan's books for 4 weeks straight, got 522 on MCAT. Other friends of mine did the Princeton courses, got scores ranging from 517-523. Depends on whether you are self-studying or doing a course.
what did you do exactly? read the books only?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend the Berkely Review! They are very challenging but also develop your understanding and teach you effective test taking strategies

I would recommend the Berkely Review! They are very challenging but also develop your understanding and teach you effective test taking strategies
i have the older version, from pre 2015. I've done some passages but not all but is also been a while. should i go back and do them all?

i have the older version, from pre 2015. I've done some passages but not all but is also been a while. should i go back and do them all?
I only have the new set not the old one. But I have heard that the science passages are still pretty useful! So just make sure you have the AAMC content outline with you to ensure you dont cover any material that is not tested on the new MCAT.

Hi everyone!
I'm planning on taking the new MCAT sometime in 2017 and would like to get a head start on studying (looking at around a 6 month schedule). There is so much self-study material to choose from and I am totally lost on what I should purchase.... Is online better than actual books and who has the best self-prep? (Kaplan, Princeton, etc.) I am definitely a EXTREMELY poor test taker (will most likely be getting a time extension for the MCAT) and would like to purchase self-study material that reflects not only the key concepts needed to do well, but prepares me for the types of questions the MCAT will ask.

Anyone have any suggestions?
ExamKrackers. I personally found them the best books, especially if you need to improve test taking skills. But to each their own, I would supplement them with either TPR/Kaplan/TBR and a Biochemistry Textbook like Lehninger and Khan academy for Psychology.