New to the Idea of PT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcp5016

Round 2 Success Story
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so for the past 12 years of my life, I was positive that I would be a doctor. I was a bio major at PSU and graduated with a 3.52 cum GPA, about a 3.45 sci GPA. I did all the pre-med type ECs and then came my kryptonite. I suck at standardized tests and the MCAT is the beast of them all. I took it twice with a 24 being my highest total. The breakdown was a 6 physical science, 9 bio sci, 9 verbal and O(50th%) in the writing section. I have no clue if you guys know what that means but the 9s are good (50th-60th%) and the 6 is the deal breaker. I have applied to osteopathic schools, which has a very similar philosophy to PT, and am trying to get an idea of my competitiveness as well as some suggestions for where to apply in the PA or NJ area (I'm in Philly).

I have not taken the GRE, yet and would love to not need to. I am trying to get some pt observation and think I have lined up one at an outpatient hospital setting. When I was in college, I volunteered at a nursing home (75hrs), where I did watch the PTs work. I did not need to record them when I thought it was for med school, so I dunno if I can still use it. I did a bunch of community service including Habitat for Humanity and Soccer Coach to Physically/Mentally Disabled child. I had an undergraduate research project that was molecular/microbiology related. I completed an internship at a nationally reknown cancer clinic in Philly, I completed 2 research projects while there, first named author, and shadowed the docs.

Does any of this count toward PT school? It was great for med schools but I honestly don't know where these apply in PT.

Thanks to anyone who lasted this long, any comments are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a great chance of getting in somewhere. I just got into 5 different programs and I have a cummulative gpa of 3.4 and upperdivision 3.7 and 860 hours of observation in the field. My advice would be to take a gre course, do better than 1100 at least and get as many observation hours (inpatient, outpatient and specialty) as possible and just apply. I live in Miami FL and only applied to Florida schools and George Washington university so I can't help you with Philly schools but I def think you have a solid chance. Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
u can definitely get in somewhere, and i doubt u would need to crack 1100 to get accepted (i didnt, and ive been accepted to a couple programs).

just dont let interviewers know that PT was a fallback plan bc u didnt get into med school

u can definitely get in somewhere, and i doubt u would need to crack 1100 to get accepted (i didnt, and ive been accepted to a couple programs).

just dont let interviewers know that PT was a fallback plan bc u didnt get into med school

I see that your in Ambler, where did you apply to?