New UCSF Class of 2009: Let's Do This

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oneday_9

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey yall,

First off, you ready? I hope so.

Now...I want each and every one of you to let me know if you have any questions about school, where to live, books, classes, what to read up on, etc., I'd be happy to help (especially you out of staters). Even if you need help on what type of oil to put in your car, or what movie to see next week, or what IPOD to buy? There are three, but the mini is my pick. Question no longer being fielded.

Next, if you will be out in the city for any part of the summer, feel free to contact me here, we can trade numbers. If you aren't from the Bay Area, need a place to crash while checking out the school or need to find an apartment, well come on to my pad, ie party place. Just kidding, but if you need to save some cash, I'd be happy to help with a couch. Hey, we're students, and the city isn't cheap.

Now, to any of you around the city or visiting, hopefully we can go out with some other P1's (soon to be P2's) and hang out at a bar, eat, whatever. Reply to this thread and we can set up an SDN thing during the summer or at the beginning of Fall Qtr.

It'd be a great way to get to know you all better and make your transition here smooth. I highly recommend going to the camping trip in September, we had a blast and I met some of my best friends there.

Again, welcome to the school each and every one of you, you made the right choice (don't listen to those naysayers), and all of us in the class of 2008 wish you the best.

(they don't mind me speaking on their behalf, they love me...haha...well LOVE is a strong word...tolerate may be better).

We're hearing great things about you!

Curt

Members don't see this ad.

bump, curt. i "lost" your invitation in the mail last week or maybe someone 4got to send it! I say the latter! see if i'm lending you a couch in san diego in the future :rolleyes:

endlesslove said:
bump, curt. i "lost" your invitation in the mail last week or maybe someone 4got to send it! I say the latter! see if i'm lending you a couch in san diego in the future :rolleyes:

Let me restate this...lol...ANY friend of mine including classmates or anyone I know for that matter, esp certain UCSD class of 2009 members are fully welcome to crash at my place, hang out, etc.

Oh by the way...please forgive me...haha...I'll get at you this week, we're going out on Friday...so believe me, you're formally invited.

My bday is on the 29th, so that may be better.

you're too funny.

Members don't see this ad :)
curt, i was going to uninvite you to my graduation next month as a result, haha, j/k.

to UCSF c/o 2009--curt is the cOOlest!! this guy writes the world's best poetry and is HELLA nice. Be his friend or i'll beat you up! :D

Hey my name is stephanie and am really excited about school next year!...ok got a few questions...
How is the workload your first year? Which class is probably the most difficult? and is there anything I should do during the summer to prepare for classes...read up on stuff? Also if you know anybody moving out of their place please let me know. We're looking for a 3 bedroom that is pet friendly and close to transportation or walking distance....we want to move in late August. All 3 of us are from San Diego. Any suggestions on looking for housing since we dont live in the area and can't really go to check out the places first hand?

thanks!

Bluhappy102 said:
Hey my name is stephanie and am really excited about school next year!...ok got a few questions...
How is the workload your first year? Which class is probably the most difficult? and is there anything I should do during the summer to prepare for classes...read up on stuff? Also if you know anybody moving out of their place please let me know. We're looking for a 3 bedroom that is pet friendly and close to transportation or walking distance....we want to move in late August. All 3 of us are from San Diego. Any suggestions on looking for housing since we dont live in the area and can't really go to check out the places first hand?

thanks!

Steph, great to meet ya.

Ok I'll try to answer your questions:

1) First year the work load is a bell curve. So the first qtr is chill but gets tough towards the end. Second Qtr is a ton of work and truly kicks ya in the pants. Third qtr, I mean, have any of us studied the last 4 weeks...NO....but we have a lot going on.

I think the classes I found challenging were def Physical Chemistry and Kinetics. Kinetics in 2nd qtr was the hardest final I have ever taken, the Pchem Thermodynamics wasn't that bad first qtr. I found CP or Pharmacy Practice very tough first qtr bc of the amount of info we needed to know on various disease states (How to txt pharmacologically with non-OTC recommendations) and all the alt med details. Essentially, this class became how much can we cram in our heads. However, they are changing the course this Fall so I can't tell ya what it will be like but the prof teaching has said she wants to test differently. It's main focus the first year is on OTC meds only, so you go over a disease state and learn how to treat with OTC products and basically learn to SOAP cases. You have biweekly conferences with a pharmacist discussing cases, learning how to consult, etc. The easiest class first qtr is Biopharmaceutics simply bc the prof is an awesome teacher.
Second qtr is Adv Organic Chem, Kinetics, Histology, Pharmacy Practice, Biochemistry, and Law and Ethics. It's about 6 classes, so it totally ruins you by the end of Finals week...haha...

Third Qtr is Anatomy which has a cadaver lab...yes, dissection of bodies, for me this was tough as I was afraid at first but it isn't bad...just the smell. Then there is Bioinformatics, Pharmacogenetics, and Drug Delivery. This is where UCSF flexes its pharmacogenomic muscles. You'll hear all this dialouge about other schools being ahead of the game in pharmacogenomics and what not, well...sorry to say it...but our faculty is defining this area and pushing the envelope, mainly due to such faculty as Kathy Giacomini who is on the National Advisory General Medical Sciences Council for the NIH and heads our Center of Pharmacogenomics. Really this class is introducing these concepts and is definitely correlating pharmacogenomics to drug therapy; why it is important?

I am now also workin on research on cost effectivness of individualized dosing with chemotherapeutic agents as it pertains to pharmacgenomic principles, so our faculty allow you to get involved early if you desire it. I just want to clarify this to other pre-pharms interested in this area...we have such research NOW and have faculty that are leaders in this field and others around the block. Our classes constantly hit these principles home and we navigate through many of these topics showing how it is important to us as clinicians. Keep that in mind...other schools are just starting, we immediately have this avenue available and are growing...this research is imperative to our recent selection as the top pharmacy school. There's a reason for that as far as NIH funding and what not goes.

Anyways, these classes all touch upon this topic. Then we have Pharma Chemistry, which is structures and analyzing the compounds to show how it functions in the body and what principles are significant to its action. Then Pharmacy Practice which looks at lots of other subjects in pharmacy and how to treat Over the counter.

To prepare, touch up on your calculus and try to test out of classes...no other studying required before hand just the calc as the pchem and kinetics is all derivations.

2) The best resource for finding a place in the INNER SUNSET area which is right where school is located, is craigslist.org. Just search apt with UCSF and Inner Sunset and you should get a bunch of hits. You might also go to the UCSF site and go to campuslifeservices and check out the housing office. They have a database of renters who probably want students and will understand the concept of loans and that you don't work. You can bet rent to be about 500-700 a month. Many times that will include water, garbage, and sometimes electricity. Mission Bay is also opening but is way too far from campus, yet it's brand new and is supposed to be top notch.

You might want to try to get a place at the beginning of August or right at the end, bc the influx is usually September. I am not aware of your financial situation but move in costs///SUCK. That's all I'll say on that after moving mid 2nd Qtr and eating the costs. Just move once and stay! haha

Let me know if you need anything else!

Curtiz

Is there a white coat ceremony at UCSF? And if there is...what goes on? are family members invited, and is it before school starts?

smilinh said:
Is there a white coat ceremony at UCSF? And if there is...what goes on? are family members invited, and is it before school starts?

There is, and ours was a few weeks after school started, on 10/29 (friday) last year. Family members are invited, and you get 2 tickets per student, but you can usually ask to add a few more to the list. It's held in one of the auditoriums at UCSF, with a reception to follow across the street at the Milberry Union. You will get more detailed info as the school year starts, with a save the date, as well- it's hosted by the dean and it's a wonderfully fun experience!

Hi, I have a question about parking. How bad is it in the inner sunset district for street parking? I have surfed on the craiglist for a while, and some of them said street parking is easy without a permit. Some said you need a parking permit.

camellia said:
Hi, I have a question about parking. How bad is it in the inner sunset district for street parking? I have surfed on the craiglist for a while, and some of them said street parking is easy without a permit. Some said you need a parking permit.

Yea, it really varies. I would say many people don't have too many issues with parking. I would find a place in inner sunset near school, I have a friend who walks from 13th ave or Funston every day. It doesn't take long. I take the MUI everyday from 40th ave (school is around 3rd) and it only takes me 15-25 minutes to get here. So park your car at your place and walk or use public transit to get to school, no biggie.

But I know many who park without permits, no prob.

ok.......

i know this is going to sound repetitive, but i'm having housing issues.

first, i actually live in san francisco. about 15 minute drive to ucsf campus. but i'm kind of hell bent on moving out. its not like i don't love my parents, but they're really over bearing and i'd like to live on my own.

with that being said, i just got my letter form housing and have been offered a studio at mission bay. its a bit more expensive than i thought it would be ($930 per month). the main reason i don't want to live in housing is because of its distance from the pharmacy campus. but i understand how cool it would be to live with other students and the facilities are supposed to be awesome. my friends also want to look for an apt in sf and are willing to live around the ucsf area if i wanted to live with them. in my opinion, this would be optimal for me since i would probably pay less rent (i'm expecting 700 - 800) and i could get a place close to campus. but teh issue with this is that they want to move in june and i want to save $$$ and move in august.

am i being stupid and should i just live at home and save money? does anyone living off campus see any advantage living away from home? and another thing to keep in mind is that i don't drive so i would have to muni it everywhere. and the housing contract is due in less than 2 weeks. right now, i'm leaning toward off cmapus housing but living at mission bay sounds pretty good too. i don't know what to do!

If your parents' place is that close to campus- honestly I'd say you should stay put.. doing the math on how much rent would be- it's worth it for that to just go towards something like a car, a house payment, or payment back for your school loans.
(12 months, around $1000k/year---wow, that's $48k for four years!)

Mission Bay is a great little space, but if staying @ home is an option- it's well worth it! When you're on your own in SF, it's the little things that take a LOT of time.... laundry... cooking... getting groceries... blah blah.. and if you're @ home it is so much easier.

If you look during the summer, you might be able to find shared housing from anywhere from $600-$800/month with fellow students- but keep in mind if you are with fellow students, you also live with thier lifestyle, which may or may not be beneficial to your academic health.

I'll PM you if any shared housing posts come my way through the student listserv.

I think you got to get the notion of Undergraduate life out of your head.
It's not going to be like undergrad where everyone lived in this dorm and you all hung out and partied and everyone was great with everyone, etc. etc.
First of all. you will be busy off your ass.
Second, 700-800 bucks is a lot to pay for rent especially if you just live 15-20 minutes away. And the benefits that living at home will give you, I tell you are well worth it.
I understand the overbearing parent thing. I would just talk to them about it and work something out with them, rather than move out, since they will still continue to be overbearing, and they will be a 15-20 minute drive away from you.
When I first got here I think I had the idea that it would be a lot like undergrad, and it's not. It's a lot more professional than you think. Everyone have already developed there own lives for the most part.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the replies. yeah, i've really been tihnking about it and i've come to the conclusion that staying at home for at least one year will be best for me. i won't go into too many specifics but there were a lot of things i needed to think about and now, living at home is the only option but i'm happy about it.

but i have another question. what happens at ucsf when you have to withdraw from a quarter? i'm thinking that most classes are only offered once a year so if i had to withdraw, would i have to retake the class the next year? how would that affect my progress? again, i don't really want to go into specifics, but there's a really good chance i will have to withdraw once during the year and i just wanted to know what to expect. thanks again for any responses.

tomrocks said:
thanks for the replies. yeah, i've really been tihnking about it and i've come to the conclusion that staying at home for at least one year will be best for me. i won't go into too many specifics but there were a lot of things i needed to think about and now, living at home is the only option but i'm happy about it.

but i have another question. what happens at ucsf when you have to withdraw from a quarter? i'm thinking that most classes are only offered once a year so if i had to withdraw, would i have to retake the class the next year? how would that affect my progress? again, i don't really want to go into specifics, but there's a really good chance i will have to withdraw once during the year and i just wanted to know what to expect. thanks again for any responses.

I think if you withdraw you will have to repeat it, and some will prevent further progress as some classes are linked. So a CP or pharmacy practice course can be limiting bc you are supposed to take therapeutics at the end of your 2nd year and without all the CPs you can't move on. What I recommend is that you talk with OSACA right now. They are so cool and accomodating. Get the info from them. PM me and I will give you some names of people to contact who can help you with this; you have my cell too, so give me a ring if ya want.

Apteka said:
If your parents' place is that close to campus- honestly I'd say you should stay put.. doing the math on how much rent would be- it's worth it for that to just go towards something like a car, a house payment, or payment back for your school loans.
(12 months, around $1000k/year---wow, that's $48k for four years!)

Mission Bay is a great little space, but if staying @ home is an option- it's well worth it! When you're on your own in SF, it's the little things that take a LOT of time.... laundry... cooking... getting groceries... blah blah.. and if you're @ home it is so much easier.

If you look during the summer, you might be able to find shared housing from anywhere from $600-$800/month with fellow students- but keep in mind if you are with fellow students, you also live with thier lifestyle, which may or may not be beneficial to your academic health.

I'll PM you if any shared housing posts come my way through the student listserv.

Do you think it's too far to live in Mission Bay housing? I'm wondering whether I should wait around until August and look for a place around campus or just take the Mission Bay housing and not worry about it. It's pretty expensive to live in Mission Bay.. $975 .what do you think?

Hehe, more questions from me...

1) I plan to get a cell phone after moving to UCSF. Is there a cell phone service you would recommend (good reception and more bars) in the area?

2) I am also considering Outer Sunset district (15th ave and beyond) for housing options. How is the neighborhood like compared to Inner Sunset? Is it a safe place to live (esepcially for a 22 year old woman)?

camellia said:
Hehe, more questions from me...

1) I plan to get a cell phone after moving to UCSF. Is there a cell phone service you would recommend (good reception and more bars) in the area?

2) I am also considering Outer Sunset district (15th ave and beyond) for housing options. How is the neighborhood like compared to Inner Sunset? Is it a safe place to live (esepcially for a 22 year old woman)?

1) since sf is a major city, most carriers are ok. i personally have sprint and they havent caused me any problems. however, i usually dont get reception in places like underground bart stations and some carriers do. but sprint is a good choice.

2) outer sunset is very safe. more residential than inner sunset. its a good bet if you're willing to take muni to campus but i have to warn you that there isnt much around the area.

Hi all!

For the current pharmacy students, do you recommend living all the way out at Mission Bay? I looked at the shuttle schedule, and even though there are early and late shuttles, it's still at least a 30-35 minute ride to and from campus. A friend of mine who is a P2 recommends living in student housing, as it's a good way to connect with other pharmacy students and makes it easier if I had late night questions or need help with a course. What do you think?

I'd like to live in such an environment, but the cost and travel time do not make it appealing to live at Mission Bay. Do you think it might be better I just find a place in the Inner Sunset district and make that my home?

Thanks in advance!

SV

santivier said:
Hi all!
For the current pharmacy students, do you recommend living all the way out at Mission Bay? I looked at the shuttle schedule, and even though there are early and late shuttles, it's still at least a 30-35 minute ride to and from campus. A friend of mine who is a P2 recommends living in student housing, as it's a good way to connect with other pharmacy students and makes it easier if I had late night questions or need help with a course. What do you think?
SV

With Mission Bay housing so far away from campus, I personally could not live that far away from campus. It's not really a 'neighborhood' just yet (a lot of construction still going on, no markets/shops/restaurants within walking distance so you'd end up driving everywhere- this is assuming you have a vehicle..) so it's not super ideal. The pluses are that it's one of the best deals in the city that you will get for brand spankin' new housing, and at that, ones with a view. (Isn't parking $$extra?) If you are considering anywhere in South of Market (or South Beach neighborhood) you could take the N-Judah line all the way to the end towards CalTrain station and live in one of the condos/flats out there. Easier, less UC administrative blah-blah to deal with, and at the end of the day, probably cheaper.

In terms of connecting with other pharmacy students, it's totally up to you- anywhere in the city would be (within reason) close enough for last minute study sessions with fellow classmates, and with our online "webCT" system, there always seems to be someone up at 3 am posting questions and topics for discussion.

Sharing a flat with incoming students anywhere in the inner or outer sunset would probably work really well for you- it's easier to find rental housing these days in SF (lucky y'all!) so don't feel bad if you try to 'negotiate' with your future Landlords!

santivier said:
Hi all!

I'd like to live in such an environment, but the cost and travel time do not make it appealing to live at Mission Bay. Do you think it might be better I just find a place in the Inner Sunset district and make that my home?

Thanks in advance!

SV

What's more, in our meeting with the school on thursday, I don't think our school is that excited about "student housing." It's too expensive, too far, and you should be able to find cheaper and closer housing. Bump what Apeka said about everything else. Just realize housing is its own entity, and is not enitirely out to save you money as its name may imply.

Do all of your courses have reading lists posted online somewhere? I could only locate information about reading material for chem 111-112 and 3 pdfs for bps 111. I can't find course websites or info for the other courses. Any info on reading for the first 3 quarters of P1 would be much appreciated.

Hey all
did anyone get financial aid responses yet?
i sent in my info a while ago but I haven't heard anything from the office.. When should I be getting my package?.
Thanks!

aquaregia said:
Do all of your courses have reading lists posted online somewhere? I could only locate information about reading material for chem 111-112 and 3 pdfs for bps 111. I can't find course websites or info for the other courses. Any info on reading for the first 3 quarters of P1 would be much appreciated.

I would go to the site:

pharmacy.ucsf.edu/pharmd/students

scroll down to the bottom of the page and there are links to all the classes we have taken with sites. Some you will not be able to access bc they use WebCT but BPS111 and Phys Chem should be up and running. Just review some basic calc and pick up an OTC book and read about dermatological disorders as well as gastric disorders...just pay attention to OTC products, this is the bulk of your pharmacy practice course for the year. Also, APhA-ASP is selling the OTC text, so hold off on that, we give you a discount.

Anyways, seriously, don't fret about being prepared or getting a head start. In all honesty, enjoy the summer off and get ready for school by relaxing! As a first year student about to finish, I'm glad I enjoyed that summer before matriculating.

Can't wait for the end of next week!