This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted480971

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not retake the MCAT. A 34 is a great score.

The fact that you have a failed cycle with a 34 indicates that it is definitely not your MCAT that is holding you back. Not by a long shot. Retaking the MCAT would be a poor decision, and many adcoms would see it that way as well.

Are the 3 schools in your MDApps the only 3 schools you applied to??

Reactions: 1 user
Your MCAT is likely one of the strong points of your application unless you are applying only to schools with averages in the 36-38 range. Don't retake your MCAT unless the schools you're applying to will no longer take the old MCAT (or yours expire) by the time you apply/matriculate.

Members don't see this ad :)
would your mcat still be valid?

some schools don't accept the old mcat for hte next cycle i think

According to the spreadsheet no school has said they won't accept it. IU appears to have reversed their policy.

Best to check with them again after this application cycle slowed down.

Do NOT retake. That's not your problem or what should fix. Most schools are accepting the current version of MCAT for at least the next cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
According to the spreadsheet no school has said they won't accept it. IU appears to have reversed their policy.
Source? If true, this is AWESOME NEWS!!!!!!!
EDIT: I misread. Still upset that IU is not taking the old MCAT for the 2016 cycle. :(

Last edited:
Source? If true, this is AWESOME NEWS!!!!!!!

Well the people that put it together called/emailed a lot of schools. Others put it on their websites

Most schools should be taking the old MCAT next cycle. It doesn't make sense for schools to expect ALL of its applicants to have taken the MCAT within the previous 3 months. I'm not applying to any of the few schools with such a ridiculous policy anyways.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all, a huge reason why I want to retake it is that I'm an international student. Acceptance rates for us are very, very low. I applied to 20 schools the past cycle, with a good reach-high chance-safety(ish) ratio. I think I had a decent application, but I will work on my ECs too. I need to be able to stand out for a chance at getting accepted, and its a generally observed trend that internationals with high MCAT scores get accepted. This is why I want to retake it.

I might just take the old one again, in light of what you guys have said. It should be easier to prepare for, and I know I won't be getting any curve balls thrown at me.
That MCAT is not why you didn't get in.

Reactions: 2 users