New York COM, Jonesboro Campus (NYIT-COM, Jonesboro) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is discussion for the upcoming NYIT-COM Jonesboro Campus at Arkansas State University.

Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essay prompts when available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

I got an email today about here. Anyone else ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they have a separate adcom for Jonesboro Campus?

Do they have a separate adcom for Jonesboro Campus?
The associate director of admission told me they review application separately. You think it is worth giving a shot ?

isn't it kind of risky since they aren't really an established campus/branch...

Did I miss something? No essays and ~ 75% of the information asked is not required?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Did I miss something? No essays and ~ 75% of the information asked is not required?

Is this on the supplemental application on their website? So they don't send their supplemental ?

Wouldn't be the first school. Off the top of my head: A&M, LMU, etc

When do you suggest one fills out the secondary. If they have them on their website. Do we wait for some sort of email giving us a go ahead ? Or we just fill them out as we submit our AACOMAS ?

Does anyone have insight on the MCAT cutoff and average since this is a newer campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
For AACOMAS you just fill out the NYIT application? I submitted the secondary but all i have received from this school is secondary application is complete because
they received the payment.

Interviewing here on the 15th! Anyone know of a good place to stay near campus?

Interviewing here on the 15th! Anyone know of a good place to stay near campus?
Most of Jonesboro's hotels are all clumped together a few miles from the campus. Lots of dining options in the same area. As someone who lives here, I've never stayed in any of them, but I've been in most of them on ambulance calls. Any of the big name hotels will be fine. I would avoid motel 6.

Most of Jonesboro's hotels are all clumped together a few miles from the campus. Lots of dining options in the same area. As someone who lives here, I've never stayed in any of them, but I've been in most of them on ambulance calls. Any of the big name hotels will be fine. I would avoid motel 6.
Awesome, thanks for the advice!

Awesome, thanks for the advice!
If you have any questions about the town, feel free to ask. I'm not a student of the COM, but I am finishing up my degree on the same campus.

Are there any current students on this thread?

Hey guys! I'm a first year at this branch, and I'd be happy to answer any questions you all have if I'm able!

Anyone interviewing here receive the parking info email they said they would send out? I'm interviewing tomorrow and still haven't gotten it

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What is your class MCAT average?
As far as I am aware, that information hasn't been released. That's something you will have to ask someone in student administration, and they will be able to tell you if they know or not.

As far as I am aware, that information hasn't been released. That's something you will have to ask someone in student administration, and they will be able to tell you if they know or not.
Thank you

Interviewed on 09/26. Can answer questions if anyone has them regarding the interview.

3.64 cGPA, 3.77 sGPA, 503 MCAT (127, 124, 126, 126), tons of volunteering/ shadowing and strong LOR's.

The interview was fantastic. Very low pressure and conversational. The COM building is on ASU's campus and is very technologically modern. Everyone at the school was very welcoming and warm.

Didn't get to tour the city too much but there's plenty of amenities around. Everything is surprisingly spread out for a city though.

3.64 cGPA, 3.77 sGPA, 503 MCAT (127, 124, 126, 126), tons of volunteering/ shadowing and strong LOR's.

The interview was fantastic. Very low pressure and conversational. The COM building is on ASU's campus and is very technologically modern. Everyone at the school was very welcoming and warm.

Didn't get to tour the city too much but there's plenty of amenities around. Everything is surprisingly spread out for a city though.

Thank you and hopefully I get some love here

Anybody know when we're supposed to hear back after interviews?

What was the interview format?
What was the day like? Lunch?

Interview consisted of 2 one-on-one interviews back-to-back that each lasted 30 mins in length. My application file was open and present in which a handful of questions were presented to me asking for elaboration on particular areas. General questions were also asked, like: "How would you explain DO to someone that's never heard of it before.", etc.

The day consisted of interviews first, presentation on the school second, tour of the school third and lunch last.

Lunch was consumed within ASU's student union where they basically let us eat whatever the school had to offer (there were tons of options to choose from).

Following lunch, there was an optional tour of ASU's campus that I didn't participate in as I had a long drive back home and it was raining intermittently.

Hope that was thorough enough!

Where did you guys park for the interview?

Where did you guys park for the interview?
There is a parking garage next to the building. If you look at the "directions" PDF they sent out in the interview info e-mail, the instructions are kind of hidden at the bottom right side of that page below the driving directions. I believe it's "North Deck" lot or something?

Reactions: 1 users
There is a parking garage next to the building. If you look at the "directions" PDF they sent out in the interview info e-mail, the instructions are kind of hidden at the bottom right side of that page below the driving directions. I believe it's "North Deck" lot or something?

I'll second this.

What are the rotations like for this school?

I'll second this.

Thank you!

isn't it kind of risky since they aren't really an established campus/branch...

While this branch of the school is newly established, the curriculum is the exact same as the Old Westbury campus of NYIT. We are considered one class and take the exact same tests, same lectures, etc.

On the question of rotations, nobody has been on any actual rotations yet so it is hard to say exactly what the rotations will be like. Rotations can be at several places though including Jonesboro which has two large hospital systems in the region that are supporting the school, Little Rock, Fayetteville, and several other locations will have rotation sites. If you want specific information about rotation sites then maybe ask about the details in the interview.

I'm a first year at the school btw.

For hotels, I would recommend the holiday inn.

If you have any other specific questions don't hesitate to ask. Good luck to all those applying.

Interviewed on 09/26. Can answer questions if anyone has them regarding the interview.

I interview here next week. Were the interview questions more based on your application, general questions like "Why DO?" or a mix? Also I used to listen to blessthefall lol

I interview here next week. Were the interview questions more based on your application, general questions like "Why DO?" or a mix? Also I used to listen to blessthefall lol
I will be there next Monday, you?

Mix, I was asked why DO, but I was also extensively asked about specific parts of my application. The interviewers are very professional and nice, but I don't think I had the best interviewer. My advice is to just be confident in yourself, good luck!

Mix, I was asked why DO, but I was also extensively asked about specific parts of my application. The interviewers are very professional and nice, but I don't think I had the best interviewer. My advice is to just be confident in yourself, good luck!
Best interview*** The interviewer was amazing! I just didn't interview well.