New York COM (NYCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to all with ii! I hope they send more tomorrow?!
Do you guys mind sharing your stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations to all with ii, hope they send more tomorrow?! Is that possible?
Anyway to those that got it today, do you mind sharing your stats?

Did you get it by email? I'm freaking out...I haven't heard anything!!! THIS IS MY NUMBER 1 CHOICE :(
around what time did you guys get the ii?

I wouldn't worry, I've had friends of mine who are current NYCOM students receive ii's in march. The waiting game is just the nature of the beast.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm concerned because I have a really low MCAT. The rest of my app is strong, for whatever reason I thought that maybe the rest of my application would make me a desirable candidate :(

Congratulations to all with ii, hope they send more tomorrow?! Is that possible?
Anyway to those that got it today, do you mind sharing your stats?

3.0sgpa 3.3cgpa 12B 11P 10V

instate

Last edited:
ii yesterday - complete 9/19

3.7cgpa 3.8sgpa 9VR 10PS 9BS

instate

when you guys say complete, do you mean the secondary, or that's the date AACOM released your verified app to NYCOM?
Sorry to be so annoying, I'm trying to see if they are selecting in some sort of order, or if they are randomly selecting candidates from the applicant pool.

when you guys say complete, do you mean the secondary, or that's the date AACOM released your verified app to NYCOM?
Sorry to be so annoying, I'm trying to see if they are selecting in some sort of order, or if they are randomly selecting candidates from the applicant pool.

Complete typically means when the school tells you that you're complete. NYCOM says in their initial email that you are complete when they process your secondary fee.

Complete typically means when the school tells you that you're complete. NYCOM says in their initial email that you are complete when they process your secondary fee.
I know, but I noticed from previous years that NYCOM has sent ii in the past to people who have not yet submitted secondaries sometimes. Based on that, I think they start evaluating candidates from the moment the AACOM releases the verified app to them. I also read yesterday, in their website under Admissions/frequently asked questions, where they state that they have rolling admissions. So I am trying to get a sense for their timeline and if the ii that were sent out yesterday correspond to applications which had been submitted to NYCOM by AACOM in June/July...or the selection process is being random and not necessarily following first come first served order. My verified AACOM wasn't released to them until 9/6 and my secondary with completed email receipt was done 9/14, so if they are reviewing by AACOM release date, then I know I have some time still. I know that the secondary/completed date is not tightly followed for ii from past year threads, wanted to see if I can figure out this year processing :)

I know, but I noticed from previous years that NYCOM has sent ii in the past to people who have not yet submitted secondaries sometimes. Based on that, I think they start evaluating candidates from the moment the AACOM releases the verified app to them. I also read yesterday, in their website under Admissions/frequently asked questions, where they state that they have rolling admissions. So I am trying to get a sense for their timeline and if the ii that were sent out yesterday correspond to applications which had been submitted to NYCOM by AACOM in June/July...or the selection process is being random and not necessarily following first come first served order. My verified AACOM wasn't released to them until 9/6 and my secondary with completed email receipt was done 9/14, so if they are reviewing by AACOM release date, then I know I have some time still. I know that the secondary/completed date is not tightly followed for ii from past year threads, wanted to see if I can figure out this year processing :)

I just called and she said the rolling admission comes into play once they have the primary, secondary and letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I received the complete email on 9/17 and have heard nothing from them. I would LOVE to go here and I am wondering if I still have a shot...

GPA: ~3.7 MCAT: 24 P

So I received the complete email on 9/17 and have heard nothing from them. I would LOVE to go here and I am wondering if I still have a shot...

GPA: ~3.7 MCAT: 24 P

You have a shot. Ultimately up to the school though. Are you NY resident?

You have a shot. Ultimately up to the school though. Are you NY resident?

Nope....Im from WA state. But lived in NY for five years of my life, would love to go back!!! The DO i shadowed graduated from NYCOM and talks very highly of it. Should I sent a letter of interest?? Im pretty sure they do not know any of this.

3.54, 30R. Completed 10-5 (though it's not my fault. They just didn't receive my secondary and an email straightened that up). Let's hope I get an II.

Did everyone get the complete email? I submitted my secondary waaay back in July but I did not receive any email about the application (except for one in September asking for secondary application).

I am so excited! I just got invited for an interview.

I applied to a few schools but nothing really tops this one. It's been my choice since I was 17 years old =)

Last edited:

Primary submitted in end of August and verified early October
Supplemental submitted 2 days ago I think.
Interview end of November!

I applied to a few schools but nothing really tops this one. It's been my choice since I was 17 years old. My parents live literally just a few miles away. I think it helps that I went to college and grad school here =)

Congrats!! Would you mind sharing your stats?

I applied to a few schools but nothing really tops this one. It's been my choice since I was 17 years old. My parents live literally just a few miles away. I think it helps that I went to college and grad school here =)
hi! I just got an invite to interview too!!!

but... I haven't submitted my secondary. what does this mean!? Glitch?

I know, but I noticed from previous years that NYCOM has sent ii in the past to people who have not yet submitted secondaries sometimes.

yeah! sorry I missed your post. This happened to me today!

Do I still submit my secondary? this is so weird

Congrats to those who got interview invites! I'm still waiting for mine but then again, I applied a bit late.

hi! I just got an invite to interview too!!!

but... I haven't submitted my secondary. what does this mean!? Glitch?

I know, but I noticed from previous years that NYCOM has sent ii in the past to people who have not yet submitted secondaries sometimes.

yeah! sorry I missed your post. This happened to me today!

Do I still submit my secondary? this is so weird

Hey, I'm pretty familiar with the NYCOM admission process since the majority of my friends go there. From what I know, the secondary is simply the information they use on interview day and they offer interview invites based on your primary application stats and give preference to NYIT students. A lot of people either got interview invites before submitting a primary or before submitting letters of recommendation. Either way, it still means you should probably send anything that doesn't make you complete before interview day.

:D II today as well. In-state. sgpa 3.0 gpa 3.3, 33Q. Complete end of September.

Congrats!!! i'm rooting for you!

Thanks dude! How are things on your end? Did you apply to NYCOM too? I'm rooting for you too!

Things are starting to turn. Got my first ii this week for azcom, it's in Jan. Hoping for more in the future.

Not applying to nycom (they don't take Canadians).

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Things are starting to turn. Got my first ii this week for azcom, it's in Jan. Hoping for more in the future.

Not applying to nycom (they don't take Canadians).

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Oh.... that makes sense! Congrats on that interview!!!! Hope you get more too =)

Why is this thread so quiet?

I was thinking the same thing. No love for this school it appears....

Wow, I got my ii last thurs and when I called today to schedule, it goes all the way to early Jan

Edit- It seems that they sent out ii's on Thursday, so perhaps there'll be more this Thurs.

Last edited:
Wow, I got my ii last thurs and when I called today to schedule, it goes all the way to early Jan

Edit- It seems that they sent out ii's on Thursday, so perhaps there'll be more this Thurs.

Was January the first one they offered to you today? If so then that's pretty crazy...

Interview invite!!! :D

First one of the cycle for me! Earliest date was the beginning of January, weird

Ha, I'm from redneck Idaho(mean streets let me tell you!!). My mentor Dr. Jadick went to NYCOM and said it is a very systems based approach to learning. The cost of living is high but it can be offset with loans, scholarships, FASFA, etc. Secondaries are offered to everyone if they are unaware of this. just have to go to their website. To all of you remember, it's not a matter of if. It's a matter of when. Dreams are worth struggling for. They are worth fighting for. They are worth dusting your feet off and retrying. Good luck!

Ha, I'm from redneck Idaho(mean streets let me tell you!!). My mentor Dr. Jadick went to NYCOM and said it is a very systems based approach to learning. The cost of living is high but it can be offset with loans, scholarships, FASFA, etc. Secondaries are offered to everyone if they are unaware of this. just have to go to their website. To all of you remember, it's not a matter of if. It's a matter of when. Dreams are worth struggling for. They are worth fighting for. They are worth dusting your feet off and retrying. Good luck!

I like your post!! Made me feel better, NYCOM is my number one choice and haven't heard a thing :(
Did you get an ii from them?
If yes... Congratulations!

Was January the first one they offered to you today? If so then that's pretty crazy...

Yup, I don't know if I'll be canceling it now that I'm accepted to CCOM. I live in NY though, the decision to stay or go away...

Hey guys. I don't know if this question was asked or not but I applied fairly early to NYCOM. I was done with my primary some time in june and done with the secondary some time in september. I have heard people have started getting interviews. Does that mean I have been screened out or it takes time for everyone to be invited? My gpa is a 3.52 and my mcat score is a 31O. What do you guys think? I am also a NY resident. Do you think I have a good chance of being accepted? NYCOM is my top choice for medical school.

I was sent a complete email last week.

3.44 GPA, 3.48 sGPA, 27M (10,8,9) ....only problem, out-of-state

when should I expect to hear something? or do I even have a shot being from Michigan?

hey guys,

one of my friends is applying here and has yet to hear back,

her stats are 3.45 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA, NYU undergrad with a degree in economics 29 MCAT(PS 10, BS 10, VR 9) Strong extracurriculars.

I think her stats are solid for the school, and hopefully an II soon, anyone have any knowledge about NYCOMs interview process? or if these stats are within NYCOMs ranges? they seem to move a bit slow and especially with the amount of apps they receive plus with the hurricane, half the schools probably underwater...

thanks in advance for any help

hey guys,

one of my friends is applying here and has yet to hear back,

her stats are 3.45 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA, NYU undergrad with a degree in economics 29 MCAT(PS 10, BS 10, VR 9) Strong extracurriculars.

I think her stats are solid for the school, and hopefully an II soon, anyone have any knowledge about NYCOMs interview process? or if these stats are within NYCOMs ranges? they seem to move a bit slow and especially with the amount of apps they receive plus with the hurricane, half the schools probably underwater...

thanks in advance for any help

Yea her stats will be fine. It will depend on her EC's, residency, personal statement, LORs, etc. and when she applied. I wouldn't count on hearing from them this week or next considering 90% of Long Island is without power. Could take 7-10 days to restore. I live in Manhattan and still have power luckily. The storm wreaked some havoc on this city and surrounding areas.

anyone else going for an interview on the Nov. 6th? I hope they are not closed due to the damages caused by hurricane Sandy...

anyone else going for an interview on the Nov. 6th? I hope they are not closed due to the damages caused by hurricane Sandy...

Campus opens Monday so hopefully it's okay.

I had to reschedule for January also. Sooo annoying yet completely understandable given the circumstances. Long Island was hit pretty bad. Really inconvenient though because I am starting a new job next week and now I am going to have to take a day off for this interview.