New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! Given that I'm a reapplicant, all the purgatorial trepidation had become numbing. Glad to have gotten through the gate.

Congrats GKO! Very exciting. Did you get the letter today, even though it was dated 4/10?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the same interview group! everyone seemed really nice so I am glad to hear of another acceptance from our group. Congrats!
Interviewed 4/2, a.m. session.
Acceptance letter dated 4/10.

Got my acceptance letter today! Dated from 4/24, interviewed on 4/1.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! I will have another interview with Touro CA soon but I think I prefer stay close to home.

Cool. I interviewed on the 8th. You've got me hoping there will be a letter in my mailbox when I get home from work.

Cool. I interviewed on the 8th. You've got me hoping there will be a letter in my mailbox when I get home from work.
I think my letter of intent somehow helped my acceptance. I believe you sent one as well. Best of luck to you!

I think my letter of intent somehow helped my acceptance. I believe you sent one as well. Best of luck to you!

Yeah I sent one. It was pretty simple and honest. I hope it went over well. I didn't get anything today. Maybe Monday... Congrats again:)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know what the waitlist movement is like or when to expect any movement?

does anyone know what the waitlist movement is like or when to expect any movement?

Based on threads from the last few years the waitlist seems to start to move in May and people receive acceptances all the way up to the the last week before class.

Wow, this is new! If that is the case that means that you guys will be finishing first year earlier, starting second earlier, ending second year earlier, and have more time to study for the boards (if they still allow you to take it up until the end of June that is)--this is a good thing. In the past, classes have always started in the last two weeks of August.

So is orientation considered the first day of class or is the first day the following day?

So is orientation considered the first day of class or is the first day the following day?
Orientation is usually three days with classes
Beginning on that third day

They are still interviewing, today there a bunch of students touring and interviewing

They are still interviewing, today there a bunch of students touring and interviewing
How do you know they were interviewing ? And not just touring or had appointments with admission

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

How do you know they were interviewing ? And not just touring or had appointments with admission

I know I was offered an interview this week originally but they asked if I was local and since I was gave me an interview at the end of March. Probably the last group though

Dima, because when I was on campus I literally passed the tour and they were on their way to their interviews. By the way, the school does not offer tours without an interview.

Does anyone know what the last day to withdraw from nycom is?

As of tomorrow it will be 4 weeks since my interview and I haven't heard a peep. I'm getting antsy. Has anyone from the April 8th group heard anything yet?

As of tomorrow it will be 4 weeks since my interview and I haven't heard a peep. I'm getting antsy. Has anyone from the April 8th group heard anything yet?

I am sure they will be in the mail this week if they are not already, the May 15th deadline is looming. Maybe give them a call and see what the news is? If you do let me know what they say. Thanks, and best of luck to you with NYIT.

I am sure they will be in the mail this week if they are not already, the May 15th deadline is looming. Maybe give them a call and see what the news is? If you do let me know what they say. Thanks, and best of luck to you with NYIT.

Yeah. That's what I was thinking as well. I'm sure they are on the way. I'm too much of a scaredy cat to call and straight up ask them:)

Yeah. That's what I was thinking as well. I'm sure they are on the way. I'm too much of a scaredy cat to call and straight up ask them:)

Then all there is to do is wait. I get the treasure chest opening music from Zelda Ocarina of Time in my head every time I go to open my mail box over the past few days. However I am only greeted with an electric or cable bill as of late.

Reactions: 3 users

I called last Monday and they said they were behind on those who have been interviewed because of the Easter holiday. I am on to my 5th week right now too since the date of my interview. I don't think it would hurt to call and ask maybe next week if you still haven't received anything by the end of this week.

I called last Monday and they said they were behind on those who have been interviewed because of the Easter holiday. I am on to my 5th week right now too since the date of my interview. I don't think it would hurt to call and ask maybe next week if you still haven't received anything by the end of this week.

Wow... 5 weeks. Terrible. I guess I will call at the end of the week. Thanks for the info.

I interviewed on 04/02 and called admissions last week (right at the 4 week mark). Whoever I spoke to gave me a short, "it takes 4-6 weeks, no decision has been made" and hung up without bothering to look at my file specifically. I think two people from my interview day posted on this thread that they were accepted around two weeks after, so it was disappointing to not get any information from whoever I spoke with. If you call, maybe you'll have better luck, but my phone call was useless.

I hope I hear sometime this week, because another school wants me to send a deposit by the 14th :nailbiting:

I hope I hear sometime this week, because another school wants me to send a deposit by the 14th :nailbiting:

Same deal here, May 15th is the big day. I hope they respect that some students need to hear back a few days before May 15th so we can make a decision on a school.

Same deal here, May 15th is the big day. I hope they respect that some students need to hear back a few days before May 15th so we can make a decision on a school.

I thought may 30th was

Where are you headed?

I thought may 30th was

I guess it depends on the school, for me I have an acceptance to a school that wants a deposit by May 15th. Also all MD programs have May 15th as their last date to pick one program.

May 15 only applies to MD schools you guys, not DO schools. Good luck!

Some schools require a deposit by May 15th, like the one I was accepted to, that is why May 15th is important for me at least. Does not necessarily apply for everyone.

May 15 only applies to MD schools you guys, not DO schools. Good luck!

Accepted via snail mail today. Interviewed 4/2 AM, letter dated 5/5. I sent a LOI about 2 weeks ago. Will definitely be attending and withdrawing from Touro-NY Harlem. Good luck everyone!

Accepted via snail mail today. Interviewed 4/2 AM, letter dated 5/5. I sent a LOI about 2 weeks ago. Will definitely be attending and withdrawing from Touro-NY Harlem. Good luck everyone!

Congratulations:) I hope they sent out a bunch of letters... I'm losing my mind:)

Also, I called Monday 5/5 late afternoon to check on my status and they told me that they haven't made a decision on my file yet. Weird.

Also, I called Monday 5/5 late afternoon to check on my status and they told me that they haven't made a decision on my file yet. Weird.

That is weird. That tells me that they probably just didn't feel like checking your file. But who can blame them. The admissions process has to get pretty tedious by the end of the season.

What made you choose NYCOM over Touro

What made you choose NYCOM over Touro

To be quite frank, I liked Touro a lot better. The students and faculty there seemed a lot more approachable and friendly. Class size is smaller. NYCOM is the easy choice for me though because I have a spouse attending graduate school at Stony Brook University and commuting to the city everyday from Long Island would be an absolute disaster.

Reactions: 1 user
To be quite frank, I liked Touro a lot better. The students and faculty there seemed a lot more approachable and friendly. Class size is smaller. NYCOM is the easy choice for me though because I have a spouse attending graduate school at Stony Brook University and commuting to the city everyday from Long Island would be an absolute disaster.

I disagree a bit here, but you can chalk it up to individual experience... I found the students at Nycom to be extremely interested in the students interviewing. The president of the freshmen class actually snuck over to hang out with us and answer questions for about 15 minutes. I spoke with at least 5 different students during the tour and each of them had different tidbits of advice about the pros and cons of the school. At Touro I felt generally ignored and my interview was extraordinarily painful. Not to mention that Nycom is extremely established in the region whereas touro is still struggling with rotations.

I disagree a bit here, but you can chalk it up to individual experience... I found the students at Nycom to be extremely interested in the students interviewing. The president of the freshmen class actually snuck over to hang out with us and answer questions for about 15 minutes. I spoke with at least 5 different students during the tour and each of them had different tidbits of advice about the pros and cons of the school. At Touro I felt generally ignored and my interview was extraordinarily painful. Not to mention that Nycom is extremely established in the region whereas touro is still struggling with rotations.

Can you please elaborate how you felt ignored and why you unfortunately felt you had a bad interview experience?

Thanks!

Can you please elaborate how you felt ignored and why you unfortunately felt you had a bad interview experience?

Thanks!

The ignored part was probably just in my head so let's drop that part for now. My interview at Touro was aproximately 12 minutes long and consisted of me being asked questions in a condescending tone and being interrupted mid sentence during nearly every response. The better prepared I was for the question, the quicker I would be cut off. It was either a stress interview or they had something more important to be doing. But I was rejected so take this all with a grain of salt. I'm sure I'd be talking about how great everything was if they had accepted me right?:)

Ugh this wait for a decision really sucks. I remember they said since it was so late in the season it would be a 2-3 week turn around....guess not lol. Entering week 5 already, it's really messing with my plans to make decisions. I have places already asking me for a security deposit for apartments at other schools. C'mon NYIT just give me some peace of mind!

Reactions: 4 users