New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It could be that they've accepted more than the class size.
That's probably it then. Class might just be overfilled.

Members don't see this ad.

So if no one gives up a spot then when the class starts. All the excess people will go to lecture on the first day?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Despite giving out more seats, I feel that they should take a couple people off the waitlist respective to how many people decide to withdraw. Then what was the point of putting us on the waitlist? This wait is just...brutal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to those on the wait list. I was just wondering of my chances here. 3.5s/3.7cGPA 24 MCAT. Anyone with similar stats get accepted?

So if no one gives up a spot then when the class starts. All the excess people will go to lecture on the first day?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
The applicants who have been accepted will be blessed by the God. It is the time to worry about the ones who were waitlisted...

Last edited:
Good luck to those on the wait list. I was just wondering of my chances here. 3.5s/3.7cGPA 24 MCAT. Anyone with similar stats get accepted?
You still have time to improve your MCAT. NYIT accepts January MCAT score. The medical school is becoming more and more competitive. Take September MCAT.

So then... I wonder if they will ever send us a rejection letter. Or is it just something we assume if their orientation day comes around?

So then... I wonder if they will ever send us a rejection letter. Or is it just something we assume if their orientation day comes around?
From past threads, the school doesn't seem to send out rejection letters to waitlisted students. Just have to wait it out until orientation.

From past threads, the school doesn't seem to send out rejection letters to waitlisted students. Just have to wait it out until orientation.

There have been rejection letters sent in the past but they are only issued immediately after the interview. I think they are reserved for people who really screw up. You should be proud not to have received one:)

There have been rejection letters sent in the past but they are only issued immediately after the interview. I think they are reserved for people who really screw up. You should be proud not to have received one:)
Don't get me wrong. I'm really grateful to still be in the running. Just hoped we would've heard back by now.

Don't get me wrong. I'm really grateful to still be in the running. Just hoped we would've heard back by now.

I agree with you. Calls to the admissions office aren't giving a positive vibe either.

What are they saying? Everytime I call they tell me that they can't tell me anything...

Yea I've gotten a similar response...they say no movement yet, not sure if/when there's going to be any.
School starts in less than a month, how could they not know if they're going to take people off the WL?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I've gotten a similar response...they say no movement yet, not sure if/when there's going to be any.
School starts in less than a month, how could they not know if they're going to take people off the WL?

I think someone said earlier that they accept more students than they have seats for. Basically, the true waitlist is built into the pool of accepted students, well that's what it seems like. I'd think if all the extras they accepted and in addition to a few more students dropped/withdraw their acceptances then only the "waitlist" that we're on will move.

An odd fact was that if no one dropped their acceptances, the extras the accept would in fact not lose their acceptances. I have no idea how that works or is even possible.

I feel like the nature of waitlist has changed this past cycle compare to the previous cycles. More and more schools are finding that people are keeping their seats which means waitlist isn't like it used to be anymore.

For this school, I had a strange feeling that they were interviewing into pretty late in the cycle and that no rejections have been sent out. I mean I guess there is no point now in talking about it but how do you guys feel overall? Do you guys have next steps you are going to take if this school doesn't offer you off the waitlist?

Im doing a 1 year mph at gw and reaplying. I'm all submitted for DO and MD as of today. I retook the mcat on 7/2. If my score is significantly higher I will be applying to 20 + schools. This year I'm going all out.

Im doing a 1 year mph at gw and reaplying. I'm all submitted for DO and MD as of today. I retook the mcat on 7/2. If my score is significantly higher I will be applying to 20 + schools. This year I'm going all out.

Good luck to you! :) I will also be reapplying this cycle.

Good luck to you! :) I will also be reapplying this cycle.

That's the right idea. I know several people who have applied multiple times before being accepted. The key is to keep on chugging.

I called admissions today and got a pretty rude answer haha. I was like there are many of us on the waitlist and there have been a couple people that withdrawed...it would be nice if we were given a chance. The answer I got back from the lady: What do you want me to do about it? ..ouch
On a side note, I was accepted to a conditional program (M.S.-D.O) at TouroCOM but it's sad..I had my hopes for NYCOM a lot :(

I called admissions today and got a pretty rude answer haha. I was like there are many of us on the waitlist and there have been a couple people that withdrawed...it would be nice if we were given a chance. The answer I got back from the lady: What do you want me to do about it? ..ouch
On a side note, I was accepted to a conditional program (M.S.-D.O) at TouroCOM but it's sad..I had my hopes for NYCOM a lot :(

I would've given you the same answer. That was inappropriate to call and say that.

Reactions: 1 user
I would've given you the same answer. That was inappropriate to call and say that.
Sorry you feel that was inappropriate zombie doc, I don't. I think there are definitely people on the waitlist that deserve a chance and if a seat is given up, why not?

Sorry you feel that was inappropriate zombie doc, I don't. I think there are definitely people on the waitlist that deserve a chance and if a seat is given up, why not?

I completely would be frustrated if I was in your shoes and your feelings are completely validated but you must understand that SDN does not represent the NYIT match list applicants as a whole.

If people on here are saying that they have yet to be taken off the waitlist, it doesn't mean they haven't picked from non-SDN users.

I'm really sorry you're going through this. I do hope they call you, if not, TouroCOM has a very strong pre-clinical program that you will experience even as a MS student and will prepare you well for the boards, which is something not often said about NYIT in recent years.

Hello incoming first years!
Just heard some new info for you guys: You all are starting on August 4th and ending June 12th...that's the longest year ever for first years (in the past first years have started around August 20th and ended May 31st). Not sure if it is because they are adding an extra course in first year, more time to study, or added extra days for mandatory board prep... but get ready for a longer year. The intro course will also be shorter, with a deeper focus on molecular foundations of medicine.

That being said, just heard that your anatomy course will be really cool! Each anatomy dissection table with have their own iPad with several anatomy reference apps on it, including Grant's Dissector, which will make studying the lab much easier (books wont' go missing, pages won't get wet and torn, etc). Anatomy labs will also be longer, but anatomy lab this year will finish much earlier in the semester, not in December like previous years.

Also, expect a MUCH bigger emphasis on studying for boards in year 1 than ever before, including mandatory homework assignments from a board review question bank, to facilitate studying for class exams along for the boards. Also, an end of the year "board-type" exam will be given.

Hey, at least you guys aren't getting the major change of all, which was supposedly thought to be given to your year...that will be giving the following year to the incoming class of 2019: a totally redesigned curriculum. Good luck everyone, enjoy these last few weeks!

And for those on the waiting list, don't lose hope! Nycom is starting VERY early this year...which means that some people may be on the wait list for MD schools and get that call at the end of August...so seats may even open up in the middle of August which means you may be called to start school even though school would have already started... or, you may get called the day before classes start on the 3rd! (It's happened before at nycom and many other schools).

Good luck and stay positive everyone, a longer year for you means a much deserved summer break at the end! ... until, of course, you will have to come back the first day of second year and take a comprehensive exam covering first year material (they are doing that this year for the second years), which means you will have to study summer after first year, too ;)

enjoy your last few weeks of freedom :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all! I'm currently an accepted member for the incoming class and wanted to fill you guys on the wait list with some info.
1) They have accepted people of the wait list ( there was some chatter on the fb page)
2) I know some people are wait listed at other schools and are waiting for an answer
3) lastly the school that those other students are waiting for historically has movement in late July and early August.

I know it's a stressful process because I'm waiting for another school my self, but keep positive thoughts!

Hi all! I'm currently an accepted member for the incoming class and wanted to fill you guys on the wait list with some info.
1) They have accepted people of the wait list ( there was some chatter on the fb page)
2) I know some people are wait listed at other schools and are waiting for an answer
3) lastly the school that those other students are waiting for historically has movement in late July and early August.

I know it's a stressful process because I'm waiting for another school my self, but keep positive thoughts!
First of all, thanks for letting me know. I had a question. If one gets accepted, will the NYIT call him/her or mail a letter?

First of all, thanks for letting me know. I had a question. If one gets accepted, will the NYIT call him/her or mail a letter?
I got accepted back in December through snail mail, but don't have any idea how they are going about that now.

A friend of mine that was accepted a day before classes started received a phone call...don't lose hope!

Foreign doctors (EPP applicants), apply here:

http://www.nyit.edu/index.php/calendar/details/epp_app_day

This is a brand new method for recruiting foreign physicians (emigre) to NYCOM for the new application cycle...this program has come a long way. Years ago, these foreign docs were accepted directly into third year and only had to complete years 3 and 4. Recently, it became the full 4 year program for them.

However, for LATINO/HISPANIC foreign docs, check this out: http://fm.mednet.ucla.edu/IMG/img_program.asp

Does anyone know when the final date for waitlist acceptances is?

Usually for other schools it's the day before class starts. From what I understood from the previous few posts, it seems as though you could be accepted at anytime, even after school has started, since supposedly MD schools start later than Aug 4th. This NYCOM waitlist is a headache.

According to the woman who picks up the phone at the admissions office, last date is the day school starts.

And for those on the waiting list, don't lose hope! Nycom is starting VERY early this year...which means that some people may be on the wait list for MD schools and get that call at the end of August...so seats may even open up in the middle of August which means you may be called to start school even though school would have already started... or, you may get called the day before classes start on the 3rd! (It's happened before at nycom and many other schools).

So according to dakterious and admissions, the last day is the day before school starts. According to calvinhobbes, you can be accepted even after school starts. I wonder where calvinhobbes is getting this information from.

I was correct about ppl being called the day before, and said there is a possibility that ppl *may* be called right after school starts bc they are starting so early this early...but it's unlikely. Good luck!

Hey everyone!
So like I said before I was on a waiting list for another school, but just got accepted! So I will be withdrawing from Nyit-Com in the coming days. I hope one of you gets lucky and takes my spot! Hopefully you all see some more movement! And like people said... The MD wait list are still moving!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone!
So like I said before I was on a waiting list for another school, but just got accepted! So I will be withdrawing from Nyit-Com in the coming days. I hope one of you gets lucky and takes my spot! Hopefully you all see some more movement! And like people said... The MD wait list are still moving!
Congratulations and good luck!! Where are you headed if you don't mind me asking?

Hey, at least you guys aren't getting the major change of all, which was supposedly thought to be given to your year...that will be giving the following year to the incoming class of 2019: a totally redesigned curriculum. Good luck everyone, enjoy these last few weeks!

Can you shed any light on this info? Skeptical about attending NYCOM due to attrition rate. The beginning of your post sounds promising, but I am not sure how I feel about being the first year of a new curriculum. Hoping I can get into the DPC track, although I like the idea of systems based M1 and M2.

Do they send out secondaries to everyone? And do they send them out before our primary apps are verified?

Recently, a girl was accepted off the waitlist.... NYIT called her to inform this wonderful notice...

Recently, a girl was accepted off the waitlist.... NYIT called her to inform this wonderful notice...
Yeah, saw that too. Both male and female were accepted. I wonder how the waitlist moves at this point, especially since it's not ranked..but let's not lose hope! Maybe this week, we'll hear something good?

Yeah, saw that too. Both male and female were accepted. I wonder how the waitlist moves at this point, especially since it's not ranked..but let's not lose hope! Maybe this week, we'll hear something good?

Where did you see this?

I can confirm that a female was recently accepted off the waitlist by phone since she is an aquaintence of mine.

That's really great news! At least we know there has finally been movement. Hopefully we will all be getting those calls soon!

Has anyone else withdrawn recently or know someone who is planning on withdrawing soon?

Just officially withdrew an hour ago! Hopefully someone here gets it!

My premed advisor got some information from NYIT early last week. Before the recent activity there were 4 spots that had opened and 120 active applicants on the waitlist. They said they expected at least a few more spots to open up before school starts. It seems like that is begining to happen.

Jesus 120? And only a few spots? I think I'll stop following this thread for the next week and wait for a phone call if I'm fortunate enough.