New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is really killing me...is it just that this year the school is running behind or something? I've been complete since the end of September and haven't even heard a pin drop on their end. I wonder why? Good to see though people are still getting II's.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
@BlueHeisenberg I feel you. Although, I have not been done for too long, this waiting is definitely testing my patience :(

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Current fourth year, the school has recently made some drastic changes to clinical education of their fourth year curriculum for the upcoming third years that has a lot of them very disgruntled and concerned about their future residency prospects. IDK the full details, but thought you should know for your upcoming decisions. The school as of November recently hired a new Dean of Clinical Education that has been making changes to the curriculum. Just an FYI. Good luck with all your interviews and up coming choices. Happy to help with any questions you guys may have about NYCOM.

Reactions: 1 user
I was complete 9/29/14, and all I've heard is static on their end since.
And the bad news is the earliest available interview date is the end of March. I don't think they will send too many IIs.

Current fourth year, the school has recently made some drastic changes to clinical education of their fourth year curriculum for the upcoming third years that has a lot of them very disgruntled and concerned about their future residency prospects. IDK the full details, but thought you should know for your upcoming decisions. The school as of November recently hired a new Dean of Clinical Education that has been making changes to the curriculum. Just an FYI. Good luck with all your interviews and up coming choices. Happy to help with any questions you guys may have about NYCOM.
Do you know when NYIT-COM will conclude their interview?

Last edited:
when were you guys complete?[/QUOTE]
1/28 so not that long ago.

Still waiting to hear back. Interviewed January 14th. So anxious! Anyone else from 1/14 or earlier who hasn't heard back yet?

Just got my acceptance today! Best of luck everyone!!! :banana:

Reactions: 5 users
Just got my acceptance today! Best of luck everyone!!! :banana:

Congrats! When was your interview?

Edit: haha sorry, was too anxious to even think of scrolling up a bit.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats. I know that usually they send the acceptances are lot quicker than waitlists so they must have really wanted you. :) Are you planning to attend this school?

I'm super stoked- right now it's between NYCOM and a school in Colorado. Leaning more towards NYCOM because I'm from Long Island and thought the discussion-based track was really neat. Haven't heard the best things about the relationship between the administration and the 3rd/4th year students. Can anyone comment on that?

Been complete since August, still haven't heard anything. 31 MCAT, 3.5 cGPA, and decent ECs so I'd say I'm competitive for NYCOM. Would really like an II since it's one of my top DO school choices.

Wondering if I should call them up, send a letter, or something. Any suggestions?

And congrats to everyone that already got in here!

Also just got accepted!!!! So excited, still waiting to hear back from other schools but I will put down my deposit for sure!

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted!! Really excited about this school! Interviewed Jan 7th.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to everyone who's been accepted, and to those still waiting to hear back good luck and try not to get discouraged. I was accepted more than 8 weeks after my interview so I know how painful waiting to hear back can be.

Currently an MS1 4 weeks into the second semester so if anyone has questions about anything I'll try my best to help.

Congrats to everyone who's been accepted, and to those still waiting to hear back good luck and try not to get discouraged. I was accepted more than 8 weeks after my interview so I know how painful waiting to hear back can be.

Currently an MS1 4 weeks into the second semester so if anyone has questions about anything I'll try my best to help.

Hey. Thanks for reaching out. Can you explain a little about admissions? Does NYIT prefer high GPAs and low MCATs? or the opposite? Do they dislike students who they think will go elsewhere? Do they prefer traditional over non-trad? or people with solid research backgrounds? There are a lot of us out here who are confused by the fact that we haven't heard anything back even though we've been complete for months, are IS, have solid numbers above the school's means and good experience. And then we watch as OOS students with lower numbers and less experience get IIs. I'm happy for them but wondering about me. Not sure what to make of it. I know I've gotten ii elsewhere, so I don't think there's a big red flag in my app. Any insight? Thanks.

how do you like the curriculum? anything in particular you feel NYIT does well that you like? I have my interview in a couple weeks and am very excited as I have strong ties to the program. Thanks!

Hey. Thanks for reaching out. Can you explain a little about admissions? Does NYIT prefer high GPAs and low MCATs? or the opposite? Do they dislike students who they think will go elsewhere? Do they prefer traditional over non-trad? or people with solid research backgrounds? There are a lot of us out here who are confused by the fact that we haven't heard anything back even though we've been complete for months, are IS, have solid numbers above the school's means and good experience. And then we watch as OOS students with lower numbers and less experience get IIs. I'm happy for them but wondering about me. Not sure what to make of it. I know I've gotten ii elsewhere, so I don't think there's a big red flag in my app. Any insight? Thanks.

It is very hard to tell you exactly why you may or may not have been overlooked. I will say that this is an osteopathic medical school and it definitely helps if you have a letter of recommendation from a DO. There is a lot of diversity in terms of the different backgrounds and experiences among the members of my class (OMS1) so it is not really apparent to me in terms of their preference for research background although it definitely is a bonus. In terms of GPA and MCAT scores, there has been some talk/rumors about admissions being slightly tougher on the applicants this year. Last year we had 6,227 applicants and a 5% acceptance rate 77% of whom were NYS residents. Another factor to consider, of course, is the date when your application was complete. By now, its pretty obvious that the whole med school application process is often times a crap shoot and you just get lucky or unlucky. Odds are in your favor if you have amazing stats/background but nothing is guaranteed. But...I will say the season is still months away from being over. I can definitely relate to how you feel about other people getting in with worse stats, background etc. However, the best thing you can do for yourself, is just to not compare yourself to others which will also apply if and when you get into med school as well. As always PM me if you guys have more questions.

Thanks, G. Appreciate that. It's easy to feel slighted in this process!

Just had my interview here today. I was so nervous I kept babbling... does anyone have bad interview and still get into this school? I feel like crap........

Accepted! Interviewed January 6th! I'm a little bit torn between TouroCOM and NYIT-COM at the moment though. :/

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! Interviewed January 6th! I'm a little bit torn between TouroCOM and NYIT-COM at the moment though. :/
I have also been accepted to both these schools! (Touro-Middletown) I think I will submit my deposit to NYIT-COM --Which are you leaning towards? And why? My only hesitation towards NYIT is the cost of the school and the higher cost of living in Long Island.

I have also been accepted to both these schools! (Touro-Middletown) I think I will submit my deposit to NYIT-COM --Which are you leaning towards? And why? My only hesitation towards NYIT is the cost of the school and the higher cost of living in Long Island.
Currently leaning towards TouroCOM for personal reasons: the numerous NJ rotation sites work well for me with my girlfriend living in NJ and I've also already submitted my deposit here, still pending my top choice to get back to me. I'm also under the impression that Touro is going to go far in making a name for itself among DO programs.
On the other hand, NYIT-COM's overall establishment and facilities really appeal to me but I'm not quite sure how I feel about the large class size or adjusting to life in Long Island.

Pretty much what Gracelikerain said. I still consider the admissions process a black box so I can't really say why certain students get accepted over others. What I do know is that a majority of the accepted students are in state so they do have that preference despite being a private school. I personally had a heavy research background but did not have a DO LoR or DO shadowing for that matter.

how do you like the curriculum? anything in particular you feel NYIT does well that you like? I have my interview in a couple weeks and am very excited as I have strong ties to the program. Thanks!

I like the curriculum so far. Our class has a new curriculum compared to previous years (and rumor has it next year's class will have a revamped curriculum as well) so that our "foundations" class is a 20 week full semester class where we do all of gross anatomy (including neuro) and basic sciences. Having all of that in one semester on top of having to study OMM was a meat grinder but our class did surprisingly well. We get pathoma and firecracker for free so that was also a big plus to me. As usual non-mandatory lectures are a huge plus as I can study on my own time; during foundations I was only on campus 2 days a week (occasionally 3 when there were 2 anatomy labs scheduled) and now that we're doing systems, half the time I'm in once a week unless we have DPR/ICC sessions. Basically, you have a lot of free time to use as you see fit. A good chunk of people still attend lectures so if you're the type of person that likes that structure then it's available.

Overall I'm really happy with my choice since I'm a LI native and wanted to stay close to friends/family. Good luck with your interview and feel free to PM if you have any other questions

I like the curriculum so far. Our class has a new curriculum compared to previous years (and rumor has it next year's class will have a revamped curriculum as well) so that our "foundations" class is a 20 week full semester class where we do all of gross anatomy (including neuro) and basic sciences. Having all of that in one semester on top of having to study OMM was a meat grinder but our class did surprisingly well. We get pathoma and firecracker for free so that was also a big plus to me. As usual non-mandatory lectures are a huge plus as I can study on my own time; during foundations I was only on campus 2 days a week (occasionally 3 when there were 2 anatomy labs scheduled) and now that we're doing systems, half the time I'm in once a week unless we have DPR/ICC sessions. Basically, you have a lot of free time to use as you see fit. A good chunk of people still attend lectures so if you're the type of person that likes that structure then it's available.

Overall I'm really happy with my choice since I'm a LI native and wanted to stay close to friends/family. Good luck with your interview and feel free to PM if you have any other questions

Hi, would you mind describing the new curriculum a little bit? During last cycle, I heard that the school was trying to incorporate a little bit of PBL or group based learning into lecture based curriculum. Is this true?

Earliest date that I was able to schedule was March 11th.

Nice! Complete in august/September (can't remember or be bothered to check), received II two weeks ago, earliest available date was also March 11th.

Just had my interview here today. I was so nervous I kept babbling... does anyone have bad interview and still get into this school? I feel like crap........

Don't think you should worry about it. What's done is done. No use stressing yourself out :) Personally, I think they interview people just to make sure they aren't crazy.

Starting to lose hope for an II. Been complete since Sept 2nd and already sent two updates. Haven't heard a thing since then =/

Thanks, I'll give them a call today!!
I can image what they say: Thanks for your calling. Your application is still under review. We will send you an interview invitation if selected. We will continue interviewing until late spring when the class is full. However, we can not provide you with an individual status check. If there is something missing from your application, we will do our best to contact you. Thanks for your interest in NYIT-COM, we wish you succeeded in your medicinal career.

Reactions: 3 users
I can image what they say: Thanks for your calling. Your application is still under review. We will send you an interview invitation if selected. We will continue interviewing until late spring when the class is full. However, we can not provide you with an individual status check. If there is something missing from your application, we will do our best to contact you. Thanks for your interest in NYIT-COM, we wish you succeeded in your medicinal career.

LOL while I've definitely gotten my fair share of these responses, try and make some small talk with the rep, be very polite, ask them their name, and ask how they are doing. Then say that you're really really really interested in this school, and haven't heard much of anything, and was hoping if you could give a more specific update? That is if your stats are close to/on point with the avgs.

If you're far off, then its tougher to get a more specific answer.

I think it's important to remember that they are humans, and they have feelings/some empathy for us applicants. At least for me its tough to be outright cold/furious over the phone to a complete stranger. I remember I was very polite, and human to an AdCom member from a very prestigious school and she basically told me off the record what was wrong with my application, and why I was no longer being considered. You'll always get the few staff members who are complete c**** to you over the phone, but that's life and don't let it discourage you.

LOL while I've definitely gotten my fair share of these responses, try and make some small talk with the rep, be very polite, ask them their name, and ask how they are doing. Then say that you're really really really interested in this school, and haven't heard much of anything, and was hoping if you could give a more specific update? That is if your stats are close to/on point with the avgs.

If you're far off, then its tougher to get a more specific answer.

I think it's important to remember that they are humans, and they have feelings/some empathy for us applicants. At least for me its tough to be outright cold/furious over the phone to a complete stranger. I remember I was very polite, and human to an AdCom member from a very prestigious school and she basically told me off the record what was wrong with my application, and why I was no longer being considered. You'll always get the few staff members who are complete c**** to you over the phone, but that's life and don't let it discourage you.
Finally, I understand why I can not be a doctor. Thanks for teaching me so much. I know I am not good at communicating. I have prepared to accept another failure. However, no matter what the results will be, the sun rises as usual, and the God still loves me.

Last edited:
Finally, I understand why I can not be a doctor. I love your for teaching me so much. I know I am not good at communicating. I have prepared to accept another failure. However, no matter what the results will be, the sun rises as usual, and the God still loves me.

is that sarcasm I sense? :mooning:

can anyone comment on how the interview day was? have mine upcoming and want to know what to expect!

can anyone comment on how the interview day was? have mine upcoming and want to know what to expect!

Definitely don't stress! I had a morning slot, so from 9AM to 11AM I sat in the waiting area with all the other applicants. We were called in one at a time to interview with one of the two interviewers. My interviewer asked a lot of typical interview questions (why medicine? why nyit-com?)and then a few odd questions like if I was an animal, what animal would i be?! That was my toughest question! Our conversation lasted about 30 minutes or so. Luckily, I was the third or fourth person called in. I felt bad for the people who went last and literally sat stressing for 2 hours.

After the interviews were over we had presentations on the admissions process and curriculum. They put a lot of emphasis on the new 'Doctor Patient Continue' curriculum. Then we had lunch with current students. My day ended with a tour.

The mood of they day was very laid back. I left with a great impression of the school and am SO happy I received an acceptance!

Definitely don't stress! I had a morning slot, so from 9AM to 11AM I sat in the waiting area with all the other applicants. We were called in one at a time to interview with one of the two interviewers. My interviewer asked a lot of typical interview questions (why medicine? why nyit-com?)and then a few odd questions like if I was an animal, what animal would i be?! That was my toughest question! Our conversation lasted about 30 minutes or so. Luckily, I was the third or fourth person called in. I felt bad for the people who went last and literally sat stressing for 2 hours.

After the interviews were over we had presentations on the admissions process and curriculum. They put a lot of emphasis on the new 'Doctor Patient Continue' curriculum. Then we had lunch with current students. My day ended with a tour.

The mood of they day was very laid back. I left with a great impression of the school and am SO happy I received an acceptance!

awesome recap, thank you, and congrats! my interview says to arrive by 11 am, so I guess that means were afternoon slot if you were morning slot. I appreciate it!

When did you interview and when did you receive your acceptance?