New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know the actual address to put in the GPS?
Ive seen previously people saying not to use their GPS address

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know the actual address to put in the GPS?
Ive seen previously people saying not to use their GPS address

Getting there is simple. Once you're on northern blvd you will see signs for nyit. Once you turn into the campus they are signs pointing you to the com.

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who sent in their deposit, did NYIT-COM send you an e-mail confirmation that they received it?

For anyone who sent in their deposit, did NYIT-COM send you an e-mail confirmation that they received it?

I received an email with an official receipt

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone get accepted from February so far. Or late January?

I've been reading both this year's and last year's NYIT discussion threads, and it appears as though the interview at this school is somewhat meaningless, in that if your stats are high and you receive an interview, you get in, and if your stats are on the lower side and you receive an interview, you get wait listed, regardless on how your actual interview went. I assume this since they accept ~70% of the students that they interview, the interview only lasts about 20 minutes, and they ask basic questions. It also seems to be a reoccurring theme that students give their stats on SDN which may be on the lower side, said their interview went really well, get wait listed, and vice, versa (students have higher stats, recieve an interview, said it went poorly, get accepted).

Perhaps this is a poor assumption because the sample size is rather small, but can anyone comment on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been reading both this year's and last year's NYIT discussion threads, and it appears as though the interview at this school is somewhat meaningless, in that if your stats are high and you receive an interview, you get in, and if your stats are on the lower side and you receive an interview, you get wait listed, regardless on how your actual interview went. I assume this since they accept ~70% of the students that they interview, the interview only lasts about 20 minutes, and they ask basic questions. It also seems to be a reoccurring theme that students give their stats on SDN which may be on the lower side, said their interview went really well, get wait listed, and vice, versa (students have higher stats, recieve an interview, said it went poorly, get accepted).

Perhaps this is a poor assumption because the sample size is rather small, but can anyone comment on this?

I would like to known this myself. I recently just interviewed their. My stats are toward the lower end, and I really want to get Into nycom. It my first choice and being from the area.

@drdeeezy i hope thats not the case. my stats are also on the lower end but i feel i killed that interview.plus people have posted acceptances on sdn with <25 mcat scores so idk if that theory holds. hopefully i see that acceptance in a month. it was such an accommodating atmosphere and the students were so forthcoming and honest. The interviewers were down to earth and made the interview more of a conversation with clear questions they had to ask and then some additional ones just to get a sense of who you were.

@drdeeezy i hope thats not the case. my stats are also on the lower end but i feel i killed that interview.plus people have posted acceptances on sdn with <25 mcat scores so idk if that theory holds. hopefully i see that acceptance in a month. it was such an accommodating atmosphere and the students were so forthcoming and honest. The interviewers were down to earth and made the interview more of a conversation with clear questions they had to ask and then some additional ones just to get a sense of who you were.

My assumption is strictly from observation, and again, it's a small sample size. It just appears as though there has been a lot of:
"28 MCAT, 3.0 GPA, interview went great.... wait list".

Along with
"28 MCAT, 3.7 GPA, did not think the interview went well... acceptance."

The fact that it's a 70% acceptance rate for interviewees combined with the fact that it's short and to the point makes me assume that they kind of have their minds made up before you even sit down to interview..

My assumption is strictly from observation, and again, it's a small sample size. It just appears as though there has been a lot of:

Along with

The fact that it's a 70% acceptance rate for interviewees combined with the fact that it's short and to the point makes me assume that they kind of have their minds made up before you even sit down to interview..

ya i get what you mean. Admissions during the day of our interview told us that they interview 800 students for around 260 seats. This stat was different than what I had read beforehand online but that is a big reduction of how many people are actually accepted. Granted they may accept a few more students than they have seats for. Also, it seems that they arent rejecting anyone so everyone is essentially being put on the waitlist so I dont know how the movement of that list would work. No point in worrying I guess. Might as well just wait the 4-6 weeks and wait for that letter in the mail to see if we got in or not. Best of luck to everyone waiting for interview invites and for their decisions.

Reactions: 1 user

Along with

I would think that the school feels some pressure to keep its stats up there, so this sorta makes sense to me. Not trying to justify it. This is just the reality of a competitive school. That being said, I have heard of plenty of applicants with lower stats who got in and plenty of people with really high stats who didn't even get an interview. It makes me really curious as to how they determine who to interview and who to accept post-interview. Hypothetically, if they already made up their minds about who to accept pre-interview, I think that would just defeat the purpose of interviewing in the first place, but that's just my two cents. Like many people have said before me, this whole application process is a crap shoot most of the time, so best not to dwell. ;)

Just withdrew my acceptance. Best of luck to everyone still waiting on decisions!

Getting really down now its the middle of February and from what I'm reading there are already late march interview slots being booked. I really hope they send me an invite but I can't help feel sad. Its my #1 DO school since I'm from NYC and I would like to stay in NY.

Getting really down now its the middle of February and from what I'm reading there are already late march interview slots being booked. I really hope they send me an invite but I can't help feel sad. Its my #1 DO school since I'm from NYC and I would like to stay in NY.

People will start dropping their interviews and acceptances as they receive good news from their top choices so there is still hope! I know it's hearsay but my friend's sibling got an invite in April and still got in. I just got my very first two ii's last week (not to NYIT though). I'd send an update with Fall grades or something like that just to show you're still interested.

Thing is I am already a graduate since 2012. I am a re-applicant (2nd time ever) and have been working since October 2013 at an ophthalmology clinic. I have no real "updates" since I have been working pretty much 5-6 days a week. I got a II and have been wait-listed at another DO school. I really do hope that NYIT sends invites even that late in the game.

Thing is I am already a graduate since 2012. I am a re-applicant (2nd time ever) and have been working since October 2013 at an ophthalmology clinic. I have no real "updates" since I have been working pretty much 5-6 days a week. I got a II and have been wait-listed at another DO school. I really do hope that NYIT sends invites even that late in the game.

Maybe you could call or send an email just to "check if they have all your app materials" or something like that... Not sure if it ever helps but it's not like they will put your application in the trash for calling.
I hope you get an ii! It definitely looks like most DO schools are still sending them out so NYIT is probably not different.

Literally in the exact same boat as you! I'm trying to stay positive but this entire process just sucks. I live about an hour from NYIT and would love to stay close to home. I'm hoping there's some good news coming our way!

Last edited:
For anyone who got an acceptance letter, did it come as a big envelope/package? Or just a normal letter size envelope? So anxious!

Anyone from Jan 20-21 interviews hear back yet?

WHAT THE HELL?
They sent me a warning today saying they will withdraw my application if I do not respond to the interview invitation they sent to me one month ago.
I DID NOT GET ANY INTERVIEW OFFERS. WOW. I am surprised and shocked... It must have been a glitch. I had similar problems with other schools..... This isnt my year.. sigh. I am calling them tmr to find out what's going on lol.

would anyone have any information as to how many seats are still available?

I think I have given up on recieving an ii.... haven't heard anything since I applied :(
Its like I'm waiting for a miracle!

I think I have given up on recieving an ii.... haven't heard anything since I applied :(
Its like I'm waiting for a miracle!

Same, I called them yesterday and all they told me was "we're still sending out II and your app is still under review". I've pretty much given up and already preparing for applying again next cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
would anyone have any information as to how many seats are still available?

Finally got a hold of someone in the office.. according to her more than half the class is still up for grabs...was pretty surprised to hear that.. hope its true tho

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone from Jan 20-21 interviews hear back yet?
Received my acceptance today! :biglove: Good luck to everyone still waiting for IIs and acceptances. Don't lose all hope just yet! This entire application process is lengthy and grueling, but will (hopefully be) so worth it in the end!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
They interview around 40 people per week since they only interview on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. 20 people per day, 10 people for each session (AM/PM). Not trying to be a Debby Downer, but I personally think they can easily fill the class given the numbers. Also, for some reason, the vast majority of the people they give interviews to are from NY. Don't quite understand why since it's a private school.

Nonetheless, keep the faith, and I agree with whoever posted above that if you haven't gotten an acceptance somewhere, start working on your reapplication. It may not happen for you now, but with some persistence, it'll happen eventually :).

They interview around 40 people per week since they only interview on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. 20 people per day, 10 people for each session (AM/PM). Not trying to be a Debby Downer, but I personally think they can easily fill the class given the numbers. Also, for some reason, the vast majority of the people they give interviews to are from NY. Don't quite understand why since it's a private school.

Nonetheless, keep the faith, and I agree with whoever posted above that if you haven't gotten an acceptance somewhere, start working on your reapplication. It may not happen for you now, but with some persistence, it'll happen eventually :).

Ya they interview a lot of people per week but the reason I think they don't accept that many (numbers wise) is because they only want those who they think will attend and fit into their school. While waiting in the waiting area an admissions person had approached us and congratulated us for getting this far. He said receiving an interview meant that they liked the gpa and mcat and that the interview was to get to know us on a personal level and to see what kind of doctors we will become. They have a specific candidate in mind when they accept and they only accept those they feel will really come to their school and because of that they have such a high acceptance of NY residents. In state students are more likely to go there because of proximity. Also, NYIT-COM sends out interview invites very late into the cycle so don't give up. They are probably still sending II for early april and they are known to interview until late april, beginning of May so keep your fingers crossed if you haven't heard from them yet. Good luck to those still waiting for II, or to see whether or not they got in post interview, and for those waiting for some movement on the waitlist (which I heard happens VERY late based on previous years threads).

Ya they interview a lot of people per week but the reason I think they don't accept that many (numbers wise) is because they only want those who they think will attend and fit into their school. While waiting in the waiting area an admissions person had approached us and congratulated us for getting this far. He said receiving an interview meant that they liked the gpa and mcat and that the interview was to get to know us on a personal level and to see what kind of doctors we will become. They have a specific candidate in mind when they accept and they only accept those they feel will really come to their school and because of that they have such a high acceptance of NY residents. In state students are more likely to go there because of proximity. Also, NYIT-COM sends out interview invites very late into the cycle so don't give up. They are probably still sending II for early april and they are known to interview until late april, beginning of May so keep your fingers crossed if you haven't heard from them yet. Good luck to those still waiting for II, or to see whether or not they got in post interview, and for those waiting for some movement on the waitlist (which I heard happens VERY late based on previous years threads).

You're correct with every point you made. Not trying to argue at all. I'm just curious as to why they accept mostly in state as a private institution when other schools who are also private don't have as strong of a regional bias as NYIT-COM. Also, every school wants students who are most likely to attend, so why wouldn't other private schools have as strong of a bias as NYIT-COM? Any thoughts on the topic are much appreciated.

You're correct with every point you made. Not trying to argue at all. I'm just curious as to why they accept mostly in state as a private institution when other schools who are also private don't have as strong of a regional bias as NYIT-COM. Also, every school wants students who are most likely to attend, so why wouldn't other private schools have as strong of a bias as NYIT-COM? Any thoughts on the topic are much appreciated.
The proximity doesn't make sense for NJ/CT residents who are applying. I am much closer to NYIT-COM than someone living in Buffalo but I am judged as less likely to go there? This might be why I haven't heard back from them.

Last edited:
Received my acceptance today! :biglove: Good luck to everyone still waiting for IIs and acceptances. Don't lose all hope just yet! This entire application process is lengthy and grueling, but will (hopefully be) so worth it in the end!

Congrats! Anyone else from this interview cycle hear back?

Got my acceptance letter 2.21.15 and I interviewed the week of Jan 20-21. I'm so excited to attend :soexcited:Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear from this school!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone from the Jan 20-21 cycle still waiting to hear back?

Anyone with lower stats get accepted here so far. All I see are high stats. It's scaring me because my stats are toward the low end and I'm waiting to hear back from nycom.

Anyone with lower stats get accepted here so far. All I see are high stats. It's scaring me because my stats are toward the low end and I'm waiting to hear back from nycom.

In the same boat and waiting by the mailbox...