New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just received an acceptance today. Interviewed 2/21

you interviewed 2 days ago on a Saturday? lol just bustin chops, congrats!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Would anyone that interviewed recently be nice enough to give a quick description of the actual interview?

I keep seeing, 20 minutes, relaxed, and conversational, but no information on who interviews you or the type of questions to look out for. Got my interview set for Wednesday. Excited and nervous at the same time.

Thanks in advance and good luck to all those who are waiting. It's gotta be nerve racking to wait over a month for an envelope. Keep in there and keep the faith!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed in early February and accepted 2 days ago. Also have a lot of research experience

Reactions: 3 users
Would anyone that interviewed recently be nice enough to give a quick description of the actual interview?

I keep seeing, 20 minutes, relaxed, and conversational, but no information on who interviews you or the type of questions to look out for. Got my interview set for Wednesday. Excited and nervous at the same time.

Thanks in advance and good luck to all those who are waiting. It's gotta be nerve racking to wait over a month for an envelope. Keep in there and keep the faith!

the interview is exactly as you just described. no questions are really listed because your interview will be much different than mine since almost every question was about my app and experiences. The interviewers my day were clinical faculty members, but again, this could vary.

it's truly nothing to stress over. it's short and laid back, just know your app well and it'll go great.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey can I ask? For the research experience questions you guys were asked, was it mostly "explain the research and your role in the study"?

Hey can I ask? For the research experience questions you guys were asked, was it mostly "explain the research and your role in the study"?

Hey so it really depends on your interviewer. Some ask specific questions and others frame it more like "so have you conducted any research" and from there you can talk about research or the approach of research or whatever you want. It really depends on the interviewer because some of them are PhD faculty and really want to know about your research and others are surgeons who don't really ask anything about it. I would know what your research is and why its been important to you since you don't know your interviewer ahead of time.

accepted^ ^ interviewed earlier this month

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed in early February and accepted 2 days ago. Also have a lot of research experience
Hey, can you please tell me exactly what you received in the envelope? I have the technical standard, preenrollment confirmation, acceptance letter, acceptance reply, and that green envelope.
My mom opened the envelope thinking it was advertisement and almost used them as scrap paper..................
Are we supposed to get anything to fill out for the immunization? please confirm> <

Hey, can you please tell me exactly what you received in the envelope? I have the technical standard, preenrollment confirmation, acceptance letter, acceptance reply, and that green envelope.
My mom opened the envelope thinking it was advertisement and almost used them as scrap paper..................
Are we supposed to get anything to fill out for the immunization? please confirm> <
Yes, that's what I got. For now you just send back the acceptance reply form, preenrollment sheet with $1500 check or money order. The instruction is written at the bottom of the acceptance reply form.

Hey so it really depends on your interviewer. Some ask specific questions and others frame it more like "so have you conducted any research" and from there you can talk about research or the approach of research or whatever you want. It really depends on the interviewer because some of them are PhD faculty and really want to know about your research and others are surgeons who don't really ask anything about it. I would know what your research is and why its been important to you since you don't know your interviewer ahead of time.

Thanks so much!!!

Has anyone who interviewed second week of Feb heard back yet?

Has anyone who interviewed second week of Feb heard back yet?

I think it's too early. It's usually 4 weeks. I interviewed the 2nd week also. Have my fingers crossed

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewing tomorrow! I have turned the Meadowbrook Motor Lodge into my secret pre-interview command station. Very excited to see this place in person!

To those who were accepted and sent their deposit, the pre-enrollment confirmation form says that transcripts have to be sent to NYIT from every school attended. That is separate from the transcripts we sent to AACOMAS, correct?

To those who were accepted and sent their deposit, the pre-enrollment confirmation form says that transcripts have to be sent to NYIT from every school attended. That is separate from the transcripts we sent to AACOMAS, correct?
Yes, you have to request transcripts again to be sent to NYIT-COM by July

I have an interview in March but I don't have an LOR from a doctor. Do you think this will count against me in the end? Did anyone get accepted without an LOR from a doc?

I have an interview in March but I don't have an LOR from a doctor. Do you think this will count against me in the end? Did anyone get accepted without an LOR from a doc?
I definitely don't think it will if you have already received an II, at this point they like your stats and app, and want to get to know you so don't stress over that and kill the interview!

Btw...you're the tall guy with glasses, right? I'm about 98% that's you.

Haha you should be excited and nervous, but mostly just excited! There's nothing about the interview process that you need to worry about. I was one of the last ones to be interviewed and everyone who came out of the interviews seemed pretty content and happy as they left. They do have a set of questions to ask the interviewees, but my interviewer and I just had a really pleasant, flowing conversation and my interviewer didn't even ask me anything on my application!

Interviewing tomorrow! I have turned the Meadowbrook Motor Lodge into my secret pre-interview command station. Very excited to see this place in person!

OMG this comment.

Accepted after a long wait! Good luck everyone else!!

Reactions: 3 users
Haha you should be excited and nervous, but mostly just excited! There's nothing about the interview process that you need to worry about. I was one of the last ones to be interviewed and everyone who came out of the interviews seemed pretty content and happy as they left. They do have a set of questions to ask the interviewees, but my interviewer and I just had a really pleasant, flowing conversation and my interviewer didn't even ask me anything on my application!

I know this was intended for me but I can definitely confirm everything written on here. The interviewer was REALLY nice and it felt closed file. I believe my interviewer read my file but the questions were not connected to knowledge of my application. I'm sure this differs from interviewer to interviewer though.

To future interviewees. Remember, they chose you for an interview over thousands of applicants. It's relaxed and low stress. Just let your personality shine through and you will do fine. This is coming from someone who doesn't interview well too.

For those waiting for an invite. Keep in there. It's still early for NYCOM. I'm wishing you good luck!

Congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats and when did you interview?

3.5 cum GPA/3.3 sci GPA, nys res, 27 mcat. Interviewed jan 21st. Unbelievably blessed :soexcited:

Good luck everyone!!!

Reactions: 4 users
I'm really trying to get an interview at NYCOM and was wondering if a recommendation from a current medical student at nycom would help my application? Anyone know if the adcom accepts these kinds of letters? I've heard of some schools that do consider them and others that look down upon them. I just really wanna make sure before sending in anything... Wouldn't wanna screw myself over haha... Anyone know how they feel about em?

3.5 cum GPA/3.3 sci GPA, nys res, 27 mcat. Interviewed jan 21st. Unbelievably blessed :soexcited:

Good luck everyone!!!

Congrats! Would u mind sharing some of ur extracurriculars or anything else that u think helped ur application? I have similar stats but haven't heard back yet.. Maybe it's bc im not a ny resident??? Jerseys close enough haha

I'm really trying to get an interview at NYCOM and was wondering if a recommendation from a current medical student at nycom would help my application? Anyone know if the adcom accepts these kinds of letters? I've heard of some schools that do consider them and others that look down upon them. I just really wanna make sure before sending in anything... Wouldn't wanna screw myself over haha... Anyone know how they feel about em?

Hey so I don't think getting a rec from a current medical student at nycom would do much for you since they don't have the ability to talk about your characteristics and potential in the same way that someone who is already a physician would. If anything, maybe a letter of rec from an alumni, or an osteopathic physician, or a professor that teaches there. For me, I think those would be informative and say the most on your behalf to adcom. But then again. I'm just an applicant like you so what do I really know about this stuff.

Hey so I don't think getting a rec from a current medical student at nycom would do much for you since they don't have the ability to talk about your characteristics and potential in the same way that someone who is already a physician would. If anything, maybe a letter of rec from an alumni, or an osteopathic physician, or a professor that teaches there. For me, I think those would be informative and say the most on your behalf to adcom. But then again. I'm just an applicant like you so what do I really know about this stuff.

Yeah, I wouldn't add a med student LOR either, unless the potential letter writer has been your supervisor in some capacity. I get the feeling that letters from coworkers/friends/other equals, are generally not appropriate for med school applications.

I actually have a good letter from a DO alumnus who also used to be a faculty there and it didn't help me. Got ii's from other schools but no NYIT. Strange.

Awesome, thanks!
Did you guys add tracking to the green envelope? I just put the enveloped in the blue mail box (without stamps since it says no postage required if mailed w/in US), now I'm paranoid that it may get lost............

Congrats! Would u mind sharing some of ur extracurriculars or anything else that u think helped ur application? I have similar stats but haven't heard back yet.. Maybe it's bc im not a ny resident??? Jerseys close enough haha

Very very strong research background - about 5 years with international, clinical, and lab research included, strong volunteer and humanitarian presence in college and outside of my full time job, over 200+ hours of shadowing (DO and MD)

Anybody who interviewed the second week of February hear back yet?

I've been scared out of attending this school after reading that there is a >10% attrition rate. also the school has kinda indicated to me that it's a commuter friendly school and geared towards locals.
Can anyone address these questions?

Did you guys add tracking to the green envelope? I just put the enveloped in the blue mail box (without stamps since it says no postage required if mailed w/in US), now I'm paranoid that it may get lost............
I completely sympathize with your paranoia. I figure I'll give them a call soon to check whether they've received my deposit and official transcript.

Does anyone known how filled the class is so far ?

I interviewed 1st week of Feb, accepted 2/17, so anyone after that should hear from them soon. They only update you through post mail, good luck everyone!

For those already accepted and paid a deposit, do you know if there will be a second look day anytime soon? The interview was pretty short and I didn't get a feeling for the school as I did some other places. Since I'm IS, this might be because I spent less time there than traveling to other states where I had to get to know the city and campus etc. And what are some of the reasons you ultimately chose this school over others? Are there ultimately going to be changes to 3-4th year curriculum? My interviewer was a PhD and didn't know much about it. I am really excited to have the option of staying IS, but as my spouse has to live in Manhattan for work, I wanted to know how easy and costly it would be to get a small place near campus. It didn't seem feasible to commute that far on a daily basis. Does anyone else have experience with this?

I interviewed 1st week of Feb, accepted 2/17, so anyone after that should hear from them soon. They only update you through post mail, good luck everyone!

For those already accepted and paid a deposit, do you know if there will be a second look day anytime soon? The interview was pretty short and I didn't get a feeling for the school as I did some other places. Since I'm IS, this might be because I spent less time there than traveling to other states where I had to get to know the city and campus etc. And what are some of the reasons you ultimately chose this school over others? Are there ultimately going to be changes to 3-4th year curriculum? My interviewer was a PhD and didn't know much about it. I am really excited to have the option of staying IS, but as my spouse has to live in Manhattan for work, I wanted to know how easy and costly it would be to get a small place near campus. It didn't seem feasible to commute that far on a daily basis. Does anyone else have experience with this?

I feel bad as I do not have any information to provide you, as I am a current applicant. Hopefully some people who currently attend NYCOM can chime in on your issue. I just got excited about the information you provided about your interview/acceptance dates. Wonder if they are moving slowly from 4-week to 2-week turnaround times. Regardless I got a bit of a wait anyways, but more and more excited!

The unfortunate thing I've heard relating to your question about getting a place near campus is that the cost of living around this school is exceptionally high compared to other schools. I do not live in the area so I cannot give any specifics, but I asked around during the interview and many locals confirmed this. If you are moving between two residencies then you might be able to get a place with some roommates and possibly even work out a deal with them to get some cheaper rent, especially if you are not around most of the time and just need it for a bed. The school does not have mandatory attendance and many students during the tour said that some people are only on campus once-twice a week (whenever they attend Anatomy Lab/OMM Lab/etc). I personally need to attend class, its just how I am, but if you learn well from video lectures, everything is recorded, then NYCOM might be a good fit for you. That might also open up the possibility for commuting if you are only on campus 1-2 times a week. Please note that this is only information that I got during the tour and asking around. I am not a current student.

Has anyone gotten a rejection pre-II? Are they still handing out interviews?

I feel bad as I do not have any information to provide you, as I am a current applicant. Hopefully some people who currently attend NYCOM can chime in on your issue. I just got excited about the information you provided about your interview/acceptance dates. Wonder if they are moving slowly from 4-week to 2-week turnaround times. Regardless I got a bit of a wait anyways, but more and more excited!

The unfortunate thing I've heard relating to your question about getting a place near campus is that the cost of living around this school is exceptionally high compared to other schools. I do not live in the area so I cannot give any specifics, but I asked around during the interview and many locals confirmed this. If you are moving between two residencies then you might be able to get a place with some roommates and possibly even work out a deal with them to get some cheaper rent, especially if you are not around most of the time and just need it for a bed. The school does not have mandatory attendance and many students during the tour said that some people are only on campus once-twice a week (whenever they attend Anatomy Lab/OMM Lab/etc). I personally need to attend class, its just how I am, but if you learn well from video lectures, everything is recorded, then NYCOM might be a good fit for you. That might also open up the possibility for commuting if you are only on campus 1-2 times a week. Please note that this is only information that I got during the tour and asking around. I am not a current student.

Thanks for your input. I hadn't thought about the non-mandatory attendance, so that is good to know...although I am interested in their version of PBL and would like to explore that option. I just want to clarify that I didn't receive the envelope until a week later, so the time frame was pretty much close. My acceptance date was the date on the letter. I live IS so maybe it takes them a while to put everything in a package? Or it could be the mail service.

They are known for doing silent rejections so I don't think anyone has recieved one yet. Can anyone give some input on the chances of getting a II at this point?

Reactions: 2 users

Ya as @TheCheerDoc said they are known to silently reject. They are still handing out interviews and if you are waiting for an II then just cross your fingers and hope. They are known to do rolling admissions but I've heard they go back and review previous files constantly.

Thanks for your input. I hadn't thought about the non-mandatory attendance, so that is good to know...although I am interested in their version of PBL and would like to explore that option. I just want to clarify that I didn't receive the envelope until a week later, so the time frame was pretty much close. My acceptance date was the date on the letter. I live IS so maybe it takes them a while to put everything in a package? Or it could be the mail service.

Ha, guess there is no way around it. Really excited about this school. As for PBL I believe they meet 2-3 times a week (Forget if its TR or MWF) and the non-mandatory aspect kinda goes out the window. Thanks for the response!

I was nervous too, after about five business days without receiving a confirmation e-mail or letter, I called the office, they were really great and confirmed they received it and told me my seat was reserved and my letter with further instructions was sent, and few days afterwards I received it!

3.5 gpa, 32 MCAT. Because of extenuating circumstances, haven't turned in secondary yet. What are my chances if I send it in this week? (March 4th) Applying late reduces my chances, but by how much?

3.5 gpa, 32 MCAT. Because of extenuating circumstances, haven't turned in secondary yet. What are my chances if I send it in this week? (March 4th) Applying late reduces my chances, but by how much?

Don't do it. At this rate, save the money. Wait til next cycle if needed.