New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just called the admissions... My interview was Feb 25. I was told now that it will take another 2 to 3 weeks before the decision on my file will be made. At this point I'm terrified and really losing hope... Can you guys also call them and post here what they tell you? They are checking individual files by last name, so please please call, you may be in the same boat with me... Or may be not, I simply no longer believe " the committee has not met yet" story

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok guys, this is going to make you all feel better now: from THE VERY RELIABLE SOURCE, I have just found out that the committee INDEED HAS NOT MET YET, and all of us out there waiting, starting last week of Feb, will hear back in MAY.Good luck to us, and our chances are not a bit less than they were after we walked out of Serota center on Feb 25.

Reactions: 5 users
Just called the admissions... My interview was Feb 25. I was told now that it will take another 2 to 3 weeks before the decision on my file will be made. At this point I'm terrified and really losing hope... Can you guys also call them and post here what they tell you? They are checking individual files by last name, so please please call, you may be in the same boat with me... Or may be not, I simply no longer believe " the committee has not met yet" story

They may be waiting to see how many seats they can offer once the MD schools deadline hits (to see how many of the seats will withdraw acceptances). 2-3 weeks falls in that timeframe to allow seats to open up, and for the committee to meet.

There's no reason for them not to send out a "waitlist" letter (even if they were in fact rejecting us)

Members don't see this ad :)
Early May... that puts me around 10 weeks. Bring it on!!!

This might mean that I gotta spend some money on a reapplication though. Doesn't the new system open and allow you to submit early May now?

I'm always happy to hear that we are doing fine and that good news shall come eventually. Good Luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Early May... that puts me around 10 weeks. Bring it on!!!

This might mean that I gotta spend some money on a reapplication though. Doesn't the new system open and allow you to submit early May now?

I'm always happy to hear that we are doing fine and that good news shall come eventually. Good Luck everyone!
Goodluck, if I was you I'd still fill out the common application onces it opens but don't spend money to send it in yet...it really doesn't make a big difference a few days or weeks. I submitted my applications to MD school last year literally within an hour of opening and I got washed out, I submitted my applications for DO about two months after they opened and I got in to NYCOM. Just wait because its alot of money and damn if it doesn't add up. :)

Has anybody else called today?
Don't waste your time calling until after the first week of May. "Our goal is to make decisions the first week of May, " and if they said " goal," that means they will try hard to do it, but even that is not for sure!
This is the most painful waiting of my whole life...

Don't waste your time calling until after the first week of May. "Our goal is to make decisions the first week of May, " and if they said " goal," that means they will try hard to do it, but even that is not for sure!
This is the most painful waiting of my whole life...
Who are you quoting exactly? I'm all for people splitting the calls and certainly don't consider it a waste of time; it keeps us updated and our nerves a bit settled. I'm sure we're all losing sleep in the meantime. Keep positive!

Yeah, I've called twice in 8 weeks. The first was probably 5 weeks in since the original quote was 2-4 weeks and it seemed reasonable. I always hate calling since I don't want to bother them, especially for something out of their control. But I do admit, hearing new information does help with the wait. Also hearing other people call prevents me from calling. If I had not have known about early May, then if probably have called each week because they kept telling me "Should be next week".

I'm also convinced that Zlobnyak is a wizard and will follow his/her information without question :p It's all I got...

I'm also convinced that Zlobnyak is a wizard and will follow his/her information without question :p It's all I got...
Oh I wish I were a "wizard"!!! thanks! I'm getting to look like one after waiting that much: long grey hair and other signs of premature aging...:hungover:

Oh I wish I were a "wizard"!!! thanks! I'm getting to look like one after waiting that much: long grey hair and other signs of premature aging...:hungover:

Eventually you just start waking up in cold sweats screaming MCAT
verbal passages... I cannot imagine it going uphill from here. Oh dear.

Members don't see this ad :)
They told me 2 weeks when I called today.

Eventually you just start waking up in cold sweats screaming MCAT
verbal passages... I cannot imagine it going uphill from here. Oh dear.
Eventually? I've been doing this since the interview invite! Although my nightmares were more along the lines of waking up screaming, "WOULD YOU LIKE FRIES WITH THAT?"

Hey guys, I just interviewed yesterday. How long do you think I will hear back from them

Hey guys, I just interviewed yesterday. How long do you think I will hear back from them

The last week of February has yet to hear back. We were told early May, after the MD school deadline. That puts us at 10 weeks of waiting, but you might be lucky as I presume they are going to group everyone together when they finally make a decision. So you might hear back in 1-2 weeks. Again, that's just my theory. They tell you anything during the interview day?

I was
The last week of February has yet to hear back. We were told early May, after the MD school deadline. That puts us at 10 weeks of waiting, but you might be lucky as I presume they are going to group everyone together when they finally make a decision. So you might hear back in 1-2 weeks. Again, that's just my theory. They tell you anything during the interview day?
I was told approximately 4-6 weeks. The reason I am asking is that it is almost end of April. I believe they might speed up the process since the interview cycle is ending soon

It's possible, but it's hard to say. We thought that we would hear back pretty quickly too. If you got another acceptance elsewhere then your fine. News will come when it comes. But, if you will need to reapply in the event that you do not get accepted here then it does not hurt to prepare, even if you don't submit it.

But, I would not worry too much. Just stick in there. It's been a long wait, but from what we have been told, even if they are taking a loooong time, your chances here are still good.

How did you feel about the interview?

It's possible, but it's hard to say. We thought that we would hear back pretty quickly too. If you got another acceptance elsewhere then your fine. News will come when it comes. But, if you will need to reapply in the event that you do not get accepted here then it does not hurt to prepare, even if you don't submit it.

But, I would not worry too much. Just stick in there. It's been a long wait, but from what we have been told, even if they are taking a loooong time, your chances here are still good.

How did you feel about the interview?
I was little bit nervous at first, but it got smoothly after sitting down and talking to the interviewer for a while. He was such a nice guy.

Yeah, we all probably felt nervous so I wouldn't sweat that part. It sounds like it went really well, I think you got it. Good Luck!

Yeah, we all probably felt nervous so I wouldn't sweat that part. It sounds like it went really well, I think you got it. Good Luck!
No one knows for sure till you actually have the letter in hand. But thanks though

Any students know the laptop requirements for incoming students. Just want to start looking lol. Good luck to all those waiting! Hang in there!

Reactions: 2 users
Any students know the laptop requirements for incoming students. Just want to start looking lol. Good luck to all those waiting! Hang in there!

I would look for one that doesn't have an "off" button. Also, one with a battery that holds a 4-5 year charge. ;)

So a tear powered laptop? Sums up most of my final exam experiences at least.
Apple's new Macbook seems to fit that description, and is able to handle the workload.
It's powered by blood, sweat, and tears; Sunlight will cause the computer to spontaneously combust, and as a bonus feature, to hasten the times for downloading, uploading, and saving documents, loud screaming and banging of the keyboard is recommended.

Hey,
I'm sure any relatively new laptop will do the trick (Windows 7,8.1, Mac OS X etc). I'd say if you got your computer 4+ years ago when you started college then you are probably on the cusp of needing a new computer. Not that you couldn't use it but as a general rule after 5 years most computers are obsolete and will have difficulty downloading/running programs, documents etc that aren't backwards compatible. If you want to make the computer run programs, boot up, etc faster then consider buying (upgrading) to a drive with a SSHD. For about 80$ you can get a 1TB drive and trust me the difference between a standard HDD and an SSHD is like night and day. While IT might say different, if you have a computer running Windows 7 (or higher) (or comparable Mac OS), at least 4GB of RAM (memory), 250+ GB of available hard drive space and a decent processor then it should be all good. Such a computer will probably cost you about 300-500$ in a store.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity what are the approx price range per month for the apartments that students rent out?

Just out of curiosity what are the approx price range per month for the apartments that students rent out?

I have been looking, seems that the going rate is anywhere from 800-1000 per person. Depends on quality of the place over location... Properties are usually a split level house or apartment. You can find plenty of spots for sub-900 within the area if you spend time looking and are flexible.

I have been looking, seems that the going rate is anywhere from 800-1000 per person. Depends on quality of the place over location... Properties are usually a split level house or apartment. You can find plenty of spots for sub-900 within the area if you spend time looking and are flexible.

Ok good to know. You happen to see anything in Hicksville or near nyit or not all? Lol

April 30th falls on this Thursday. I wonder if they will meet this week and if we will have a decision by next week. That still fits the early May information we were given.

Regardless, we are getting so freaking close!

Has anyone heard back from financial aid? I am in the midst of looking for apartment & starting to set a monthly budget as well... but wondering if there is anything else I should be doing o_o

Has anyone heard back from financial aid? I am in the midst of looking for apartment & starting to set a monthly budget as well... but wondering if there is anything else I should be doing o_o
I haven't either, was wondering the same thing, submitted my FAFSA back in early March and still haven't received anything.

I haven't either, was wondering the same thing, submitted my FAFSA back in early March and still haven't received anything.

Do we wait to hear back before filling out the MPN and doing financial counseling? I am confused. Submitted FAFSA in late March, new to the whole government funding thing.

I submitted my fafsa way back when also, but recently checked my NYIT email and saw they sent me an email saying I needed to submit some Title VII form before I'd get my aid. Just mailed it out today. I'd check there to make sure you guys are complete.

Do we wait to hear back before filling out the MPN and doing financial counseling? I am confused. Submitted FAFSA in late March, new to the whole government funding thing.

Ah I am also very new to this as well. I also realized that if you go into NYIT Connect (you have to sign into my.nyit.edu) and if you check where it says To Do on the right side - I found out they needed a proof of residence/citizenship for Financial Aid and also the Title VII form. I didn't get an email for these things but I am glad I saw that and sent those in awhile ago.

I also was told you can do the Student Loan Entrance Interview & complete Master Promissory Note before they send you an award letter... I think it's taking them awhile also because the class isn't full yet. Looking at this thread, looks like they haven't send out acceptances for a very long time.

April 30th falls on this Thursday. I wonder if they will meet this week and if we will have a decision by next week. That still fits the early May information we were given.

Regardless, we are getting so freaking close!

Here's to hoping the stars align and we are all accepted soon.

Hey,
For financial aid you will need to do a FAFSA ( which may include a promissory note, counseling etc) it can all be found online at https://fafsa.ed.gov/. After you do this, and submit it, you will need to log on to NYIT connect and go to the To Do section and complete a form VIII for financial aid. You can then fax or mail it to them. Once you complete the FAFSA and form VIII you will see under the financial aid section of NYIT connect a section detailing your estimated need. Around May or June they will start sending out award letters to students with a submitted FAFSA . You will then accept the award and be on your way. DO NOT WAIT TO DO A FAFSA! It honestly should have been started in January if you are planning to attend school in the Fall. Good luck if you have any questions feel free to message me.

Has anybody called this week and received any updates?

Has anybody called this week and received any updates?

I'm contemplating a call Monday if no mail has arrived by that evening. This Thursday should be the earliest they meet because it will be after the April 30th MD deadline. Well, at least that's what I've poorly deduced from the given information.

9 weeks now. As much as I hate to say it, but I think next week Thursday is the most likely. BUT! I'm hoping that they will rush to do it this Thursday because they are very far behind on making decisions and I'd imagine that the longer they wait the worse it will be on them. People gotta make deposits and get living arrangements sorted out.

Almost there.

I'm contemplating a call Monday if no mail has arrived by that evening. This Thursday should be the earliest they meet because it will be after the April 30th MD deadline. Well, at least that's what I've poorly deduced from the given information.

9 weeks now. As much as I hate to say it, but I think next week Thursday is the most likely. BUT! I'm hoping that they will rush to do it this Thursday because they are very far behind on making decisions and I'd imagine that the longer they wait the worse it will be on them. People gotta make deposits and get living arrangements sorted out.

Almost there.
Hey yall waiting to hear back from Interviews feb 21 through April 11... I spoke to admissions a number of times and concluded the following: they schemed everyone into thinking there gonna hear back 4-6 weeks. Really were waiting till April 30 ie- MD deadline!!! Now that this day reached they know how many avail seats there are. Thus the commitee will meet this whole weekend and decide by Tuesday who will be granted an acceptance!! This u will all receive letters via mail by Friday!!!!! Hang in their peeps!!

Hey yall waiting to hear back from Interviews feb 21 through April 11... I spoke to admissions a number of times and concluded the following: they schemed everyone into thinking there gonna hear back 4-6 weeks. Really were waiting till April 30 ie- MD deadline!!! Now that this day reached they know how many avail seats there are. Thus the commitee will meet this whole weekend and decide by Tuesday who will be granted an acceptance!! This u will all receive letters via mail by Friday!!!!! Hang in their peeps!!

Thanks very much for the update! They told you that was the cause for the delay or is that just what you believe given the circumstances?!

Thanks very much for the update! They told you that was the cause for the delay or is that just what you believe given the circumstances?!
I've heard from a VERY reliable source!!

I've heard from a VERY reliable source!!
Lemme hear numbers guys and gals from all late February till April Interveiws?? I wanna see if they interviewed same #s on mcat and gpa during that 8/10 week span... I got 25 mcat, 3.9cgpa 3.85 sgpa, (out of state).

Lemme hear numbers guys and gals from all late February till April Interveiws?? I wanna see if they interviewed same #s on mcat and gpa during that 8/10 week span... I got 25 mcat, 3.9cgpa 3.85 sgpa, (out of state).
First of all, thanks for the update!!!
I'm 27MCAT(10P/8V/9B), 3.8 gpa. Also, in state, and a very untraditional applicant (been out of school for almost 10 years, which may work against me!)