New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Spoke w admissions..they made all decisions on Thursday and sent them to be mailed Friday morning.. In state will see it Monday, OOS but tristate area on Tuesday and OOS like Florida Wednesday or Thursday.
ALSO- they still have NOT filled their class. However, They aren't giving prioriy for earlier interveiw dates at this stage(which is why some pple heard and some not) thus, sit tight and keep the spirit up ladies and gents!!

Thank you for all the info!! Any idea on the interview dates they've made decisions on?

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody else's financial aid package not enough? My COA is way higher than my financial aid - like close to 35,000 more/year. Any recommendations? The financial aid offered just says "Grants/Loans" - but its actually all just Fed Unsub. Loans.

What do other people do to fill the gap? Are you guys taking out Direct PLus Loans?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I contacted the office about that actually. Fed Unsub Loans has a limit to how much they can be awarded to a student per year. If you have been given around 42K, most likely that's the limit. The office also told me they haven't processed additional loans like Grad Plus Loans and they will sent revised awards once they've figured that out.

It makes me a little nervous seeing how late this is all happening when we are to start school in about 3 months... but it looks like they are trying their best to push things along.

Any first or second year students please write a bit about the so called "curriculum changes" that are going to be implemented this coming year (2019 graduating class)??
Also do students like the system based (vs reg biochem genetics hist anatomy etc) style of courses??

bump

Waitlisted today by mail. Interviewed February 25th.

At least I got my closure lol :p

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody else's financial aid package not enough? My COA is way higher than my financial aid - like close to 35,000 more/year. Any recommendations? The financial aid offered just says "Grants/Loans" - but its actually all just Fed Unsub. Loans.

What do other people do to fill the gap? Are you guys taking out Direct PLus Loans?
You can check the smart option student loan from Sallie Mae. You may get a lower fixed interest rate than Direct Plus Loans.

Sorry I know what a roller coaster it has been and its not over yet best of luck

Also waitlisted by mail today. Will not be pursuing this furtherr. Good luck to everyone else!

Damn it really seems like they just waitlisted everybody who didn't recieve a decision by mail last week

Wait listed today :( 25 mcat, OOS, 3.9 overall gpa. 3.85 SGPA. Interveiwed March 23.

Are you re-applying to NYCOM for next year? I'm sure the wait list happened to you for the same reason it happened to me: interviewed a week too late...

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted today with an April interview date. IS, good stats, and lots of clinical experience/research.

To think my interview was pushed back because of weather haha

To think my interview was pushed back because of weather haha
I was just thinking that too lol... wow what a difference a week can make its scary honestly

Are you re-applying to NYCOM for next year? I'm sure the wait list happened to you for the same reason it happened to me: interviewed a week too late...

Absolutely! I'm also still staying positive for the waitlist too. I'm just reapplying now just in case.

Who knows they may have been conservative with the acceptances, but that means the waitlist might move quite a bit this year as a result.

Some awesome applicants thus year and I would not consider people's stats relevant if you missed out. I think it's more so that we all interviewed a tinsy bit too late is all.

Good Luck all!

Waitlisted today via snail mail. Interviewed March 4th. I'll most likely be going to TouroCOM. Good luck everyone!

Nothing in the mail for me today. Anyone who interviewed in mid April hear anything yet?

are you OOS? all the snail mail that arrived today are probably all IS students

Nope, in state. Only live about 40 minutes from NYCOM
Hasn't even been a full month since my interview though. Wondering if they still have some decisions to make or whats going on.

Waitlist for myself as well. =/ letter dated May 4th. Interviewed March 10th.

Sorry man. It's still possible, but if not, we can reconvene next year for our study group if you dont have any other backups.

Waitlist for me as well. :-/ Interviewed March 17th.

Waitlisted, interviewed April 8th
Guys and girls.. Based on what I'm hearing on and off sdn it's safe to conclude that NYCOM has been interviewing since last week in feb for Waitlist only.. Pretty sick if u ask me.
Thus, only more acceptances will open when the time comes from those accepted in feb hv to put the 1.5k down.. Does anyone know how long NYCOM gives??

Guys and girls.. Based on what I'm hearing on and off sdn it's safe to conclude that NYCOM has been interviewing since last week in feb for Waitlist only.. Pretty sick if u ask me.
Thus, only more acceptances will open when the time comes from those accepted in feb hv to put the 1.5k down.. Does anyone know how long NYCOM gives??

i do agree with the speculation and i believe deadline is on May 15th where all the deadlines for initial deposits are... so perhaps within 4-6 weeks waitlist will have a movement

For all of you waiting lol, I'm praying for an acceptance off WL elsewhere, hopefully I'll be able to give one of you my spot here :)

Is the waitlist publicly ranked? Anyone here speak with admissions long enough to get an idea on how it's ranked? Curious if there are any updates that I can send that might help bolster my chances.

You guys were correct; waitlisted today, interviewed April 8th. Probably the best interview I've had (about an hour conversation) so I'm definitely disappointed in the outcome. Here's hoping that waitlist starts moving soon!

Last edited:
Is the waitlist publicly ranked? Anyone here speak with admissions long enough to get an idea on how it's ranked? Curious if there are any updates that I can send that might help bolster my chances.
No its all internal/closed door. The also said they will notify you immediately if you are accepted off the list. Google nycom waitlist for more information.

The unsubsidized loan limit for all full time (10 month) medical students is $42,722.00. The difference between the COA and the unsubsidized loan is what you can apply for via a GradPLUS Loan. Also, if you have any scholarship or grant money, you can also make up the difference here. Most students have to apply for the GradPLUS Loan including myself. I know if we are interested in applying for scholarships or grants via the financial aid office, we have to contact them. When I called to speak to someone in financial aid, they told me the COA was an estimate, and making a budget for yourself was recommended rather than requesting the maximum amount for your GradPLUS Loan. Hope this helps!

Has anyone received a "priority" waitlist letter? I saw that pop up in previous threads and was wondering if that's the case this year. Mine seemed to be a generic "waitlist response form"

Generic waitlist form here. They might not be doing it this year, not sure. I'd imagine one of the waitlist posts from the May 4th Waitlist Massacre would have mentioned it if they were doing it. Maybe they implement it later? I just hope it's not another form that I'll have to send by snail mail haha.

Generic waitlist form here. They might not be doing it this year, not sure. I'd imagine one of the waitlist posts from the May 4th Waitlist Massacre would have mentioned it if they were doing it. Maybe they implement it later? I just hope it's not another form that I'll have to send by snail mail haha.
The waitlist massacre :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Did anyone try to reach out to the admissions office to get feedback on their application and decision?

After a short "2-4 week" wait (3 months) also wait listed

Yeah, I'm definitely going to give them a call when everything dies down. It would be nice to pin point any red flags that may have come up on my app, granted I believe the main reason we were all passed over was just interviewing at the wrong time. But, getting some feedback would be nice going into my third application. Especially since not many schools gave me an interview.

Haha, yeah I was pretty close to the 12 week mark :p

Big may 4 massacre... Very low move by NYCOM.. Has anyone seen/heard of them doing this low blow int he past?? Perhaps they filled up so quick that the last full 2 months of interviews were for nothing but the Waitlist!!

Finally got my letter today, also waitlisted. Good luck to everyone else on the waitlist as well.
Interviewed on April 15th. Let the wait continue now I guess.

Big may 4 massacre... Very low move by NYCOM.. Has anyone seen/heard of them doing this low blow int he past?? Perhaps they filled up so quick that the last full 2 months of interviews were for nothing but the Waitlist!!
Nope and I agree with you it isn't very good how they went about this (10+ week wait for people to get waitlisted) it really seemed like up until mid February interviews they were taking just about anyone who got an II. I know at least 5 other people of the 15 or so I interviewed with who got acceptances a few weeks later. They probably log jammed themselves going into March and then once the dust settled they just about full ( I bet). It's not fair, I agree but it's the reality of rolling admissions...

I can't see them being too overfilled since they did accept some from last week of feb/ first week of March. I would expect some movement assuming they aren't over-filled.