New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't see them being too overfilled since they did accept some from last week of feb/ first week of March. I would expect some movement assuming they aren't over-filled.

Maybe they overcommitted? I know someone that interviewed end of March with 31 mcat, 3.6 gpa and stellar ECs that applied early and still got wait listed.

I wasn't able to get any real answers when I called admissions. Did anyone find more information about how the waitlist works?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Waitlisted here with a LizzyM of 74 and i interviewed end of february. It is possible they overcommitted

I do not mean to beat a dead horse, but is the attrition rate at this school something i should be worried about or are these all rumors? Just a tad scared and concerned.

Can any current students comment on this ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not mean to beat a dead horse, but is the attrition rate at this school something i should be worried about or are these all rumors? Just a tad scared and concerned.

Nah dont worry about it lol

One of my friends complained about this too, this person apparently missed passing by like 1 point and they had to repeat the entire year. This person said that the policies/administration at this school is atrocious

Maybe they overcommitted? I know someone that interviewed end of March with 31 mcat, 3.6 gpa and stellar ECs that applied early and still got wait listed.

I wasn't able to get any real answers when I called admissions. Did anyone find more information about how the waitlist works?

Waitlisted here with a LizzyM of 74 and i interviewed end of february. It is possible they overcommitted

Yah, I don't think it had anything to do with people's stats. Likely they overcomited and overbooking the class would have made things even worse.

If it makes you feel better, with a Lizzy M of 74, you gotta be towards the top of the waitlist.

Yah, I don't think it had anything to do with people's stats. Likely they overcomited and overbooking the class would have made things even worse.

If it makes you feel better, with a Lizzy M of 74, you gotta be towards the top of the waitlist.
Haha i got off the WL at my top choice so i declined the WL spot here. Hopefully movement starts soon for you guys!

Reactions: 4 users
Hello. Does anyone know when classes begin?

Last edited:
So I called and they said they don't rank the wait list… So how do they go about picking people off of it?

I got the same response...and I'm wondering the same...

I will be withdrawing my acceptance this week, good luck to all on the wait list!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my friends complained about this too, this person apparently missed passing by like 1 point and they had to repeat the entire year. This person said that the policies/administration at this school is atrocious
Just to clarify this information.. Your friend would have had to fail two whole systems to repeat the entire year. If they failed one, they would just remediate that particular system in the summer and continue on to their next year. 70 passing isn't atrocious at all. Failing two whole systems and being able to re-do your first year seems nice, where other schools may just kick you out.

I'm going to finally submit these applications. Spend a ton of time and money, then get the call...

"I'm Sorry but we accidentally send out waitlist letters instead of acceptance letters to everyone on SDN. We are correcting this now, you have been accepted to NYIT."

Reactions: 1 users
Yah know... I wouldn't even be mad :p

Just to clarify this information.. Your friend would have had to fail two whole systems to repeat the entire year. If they failed one, they would just remediate that particular system in the summer and continue on to their next year. 70 passing isn't atrocious at all. Failing two whole systems and being able to re-do your first year seems nice, where other schools may just kick you out.

Well to be fair my friend did call the communication with the administration is troublesome not the failing grade so it was more the experience and the situation they were placed in. There has been a change in deans I think my friend mentioned that that's where issues have come from

Well to be fair my friend did call the communication with the administration is troublesome not the failing grade so it was more the experience and the situation they were placed in. There has been a change in deans I think my friend mentioned that that's where issues have come from

Change in the assistant dean of academic affairs, so she should mainly only have an effect on the clinical years (to the best of my knowledge). My friend, who is an OMS-IV at NYIT told me that only her 4th year has been hindered by this.

Nothing, but then again I have not called then in a while now. Not sure how the waitlist works so I'll just sit back and hope for now. Finishing up aplication for next year while my transcripts make their way to AACOMAS.

Called today, they said no movement. But then again I take that statement with a grain of salt.

Called today, they said no movement. But then again I take that statement with a grain of salt.

I'd assume they're giving some time for wait list responses to come in. I know for a fact that spots are open because I have friends that have withdraw their acceptances.

Obviously its not a constant but lets say across the board you see 20% (arbitrary percentage) of the class withdraw their acceptances for elsewhere. 20% of 300 is pretty nice compared to 20% of 100. We got that going for us haha.

is there any way to double check to see if you know that you have been placed on wait list?

yes, I sent the mail. Do we just wait? what can we do while we wait?

is there any way to double check to see if you know that you have been placed on wait list?

yes, I sent the mail. Do we just wait? what can we do while we wait?
Marathon a bunch of TV shows, read a book, check sdn multiple times a day, check your spam, go crazy, that sort of thing...

Marathon a bunch of TV shows, read a book, check sdn multiple times a day, check your spam, go crazy, that sort of thing...

Sums it up pretty well haha. Just go on assuming you will not get taken off the waitlist. If it happens then it happens, but obviously do not lose hope. If you need to apply for the new application cycle then I would suggest you get started now. Think of it more as having a solid backup plan instead of giving in. Last year I held out for a waitlist at another school it probably was the main reason I did not get accepted here. Everyone from my week onward (with a small exception of a few people) got waitlisted and I am convinced that most of us would have been accepted if we just applied earlier. So I am determined not to fall into that again.

Whats good is that there seems to be plenty of people posting that they gave up their spots at this school. So that number is only getting larger and eventually the committee will have to meet again and review us. Here is to future Class of 2019 classmates, but hey class of 2020 does have a nice ring to it :D!

Does anyone know what the requirements are as far as the laptop is concerned? I want to get the Lenovo Yoga 3 but want to make sure it meets all the requirements first. Thanks!

Does anyone know what the requirements are as far as the laptop is concerned? I want to get the Lenovo Yoga 3 but want to make sure it meets all the requirements first. Thanks!

This is just a general description of what they might recommend for computers. But, Lenovo Yoga 3 sounds good. I was looking into it also. I think my only biggest concern when I am purchasing mine would be GB of RAM & processing speed since we will be taking our exams on computer.

http://www.nyit.edu/service_central//computers

Anyone from the waitlist hear back yet? If so, please mention your interview and waitlist date. Thanks.

Anyone call them recently? Or has it been the same news?

Anyone call them recently? Or has it been the same news?
Called admissions this morning, same news. Waitlist isn't ranked, the committee chooses people off the waitlist and there has been no movement yet.

withdrawing today, good luck everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats on your other acceptance, and thank you for letting us know!

Hi everyone. How much do we need to pay by July 1st? The electronic billing statement I received on 5/27 shows the amount due is around $29310. But I have already accept the loans few months ago. Or should we just pay for rest of amount that not covered by the requested loans before July 1st?

Maybe it is good to pay $29310 with double cash back credit cards, then let the school refund the money after it receives our financial aids in August. But really that's how the school expects us to pay $29310 before July 1st? To earn the cashback?

Hi everyone. How much do we need to pay by July 1st? The electronic billing statement I received on 5/27 shows the amount due is around $29310. But I have already accept the loans few months ago. Or should we just pay for rest of amount that not covered by the requested loans before July 1st?

Maybe it is good to pay $29310 with double cash back credit cards, then let the school refund the money after it receives our financial aids in August. But really that's how the school expects us to pay $29310 before July 1st? To earn the cashback?

Yeah I'm really confused with how that all works. I wish they'd have a seminar or something to go over all of it lol

Called today. There's movement on the waitlist.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah I'm really confused with how that all works. I wish they'd have a seminar or something to go over all of it lol
If you applied for Unsub Loans and received your financial aid package, you don't have to do anything, it is taken care of. I called the financial aid office about this as well. That deadline is for people who are paying out of pocket.

If you applied for Unsub Loans and received your financial aid package, you don't have to do anything, it is taken care of. I called the financial aid office about this as well. That deadline is for people who are paying out of pocket.
but if someone wants to call and double check me that would be really helpful!

they call you?

how do they contact you if you got off waitlist? is it via snail mail? phone call? email?

thanks!

Haha I wish. I would have posted a 10,000 character "ACCCCEPPPTEEEEDDDD" post or something cliche. Believe me, I'll let everyone know if I'm taken off the waitlist. This entire thread has been through too much not to.

If it's snail mail, I suppose here is to hoping something comes soon.

They call first, and then you'll receive a letter in the mail (eventually lmao).

I am super excited to apply here in a week! My only worry is that housing during the four years will be insanely expensive. Is that true? I have a wife and will probably have a kid, should I count this one out due to price?

I am super excited to apply here in a week! My only worry is that housing during the four years will be insanely expensive. Is that true? I have a wife and will probably have a kid, should I count this one out due to price?

One of the student ambassadors during my interview had a wife and I believe a kid too so it's definitely possible to do it.

Sent in another LOR last week from a doctor I've been working with as a scribe for the last few months. Wonder if that'll help get me off the waitlist lol

One of the student ambassadors during my interview had a wife and I believe a kid too so it's definitely possible to do it.

I can definitely confirm this. It was asked quite extensively during my interview day. NYIT has a reputation for a high cost of living, but we were told by current students that, despite it being expensive, its manageabe. You just have to shop around. Also given the location and opportunities, you definitely get what you pay for.

This is coming from a waitlisted hopeful though, hopefully some current students can give more specific advice. Good Luck btw!