New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can definitely confirm this. It was asked quite extensively during my interview day. NYIT has a reputation for a high cost of living, but we were told by current students that, despite it being expensive, its manageabe. You just have to shop around. Also given the location and opportunities, you definitely get what you pay for.

This is coming from a waitlisted hopeful though, hopefully some current students can give more specific advice. Good Luck btw!

Thanks! And good luck yourself! I would absolutely love to live in the New York City area. NYIT would be a dream.

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted off the wait list today via snail mail. Good luck to everyone else who is waiting for a spot at this school. This is my first choice :)
I had another recommendation sent in, my guidance counselor reached out on my behalf, and I sent in a letter of intent to enroll. Guys don't give up and stay politely persistent! Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
I got accepted off the wait list today via snail mail. Good luck to everyone else who is waiting for a spot at this school. This is my first choice :)
I had another recommendation sent in, my guidance counselor reached out on my behalf, and I sent in a letter of intent to enroll. Guys don't give up and stay politely persistent! Good luck!

congrts! did you get call prior to the snail mail? when was ur interview date/ waitlist date?

im glad to see a movement!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't get a call. I interviewed 3/3, got my waitlist letter on 5/12. I don't think the dates matter though.. Just keep showing them you really want to come. Don't be a quitter. It's not over til its over!! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your stats too? Curious where they are pulling right now.

Reactions: 2 users
Got an acceptance letter via snail mail today!! No call. Interviewed 3/17. Waitlisted 5/4. Good luck to everyone else! I hope you will be joining me! Be patient and keep your heads high!

Got an acceptance letter via snail mail today!! No call. Interviewed 3/17. Waitlisted 5/4. Good luck to everyone else! I hope you will be joining me! Be patient and keep your heads high!

Exciting! We are back! Bringing back the hope :3 Both of you local? Also, if you feel comfortable would you share your stats?

I am local, I got a 27 on my MCAT, 3.53 undergraduate gpa and a 3.67 graduate gpa.

Just got off the waitlist--and not sure I want to go but, app finished 12/20, interviewed 3/21, waitlisted 5/4. There is still hope!!

Edited to include stats: 28 MCAT, 3.6 undergrad gpa

Edited to include ancillary info: wrote to interviewer for advice on med school decisions, wrote to dean with random comment from discussion (truly friendly correspondence and definitely not a letter of continued interest) within a few days of interview-- by 4/4

Oh and they mailed it to my house, no phone call.

Last edited:
If you applied for Unsub Loans and received your financial aid package, you don't have to do anything, it is taken care of. I called the financial aid office about this as well. That deadline is for people who are paying out of pocket.
Forgive my ignorance for asking tgis, but what is the process for applying for an unbsidized loan..you just fill out the fafsa? You visit the financial aid office at NYIT? How does it work? :/

Forgive my ignorance for asking tgis, but what is the process for applying for an unbsidized loan..you just fill out the fafsa? You visit the financial aid office at NYIT? How does it work? :/

Fill out the FAFSA and make sure you put your school's name on it. I think typically you're offered a loan and you either accept or decline it, then you complete an MPN; entrance counseling, etc (but typically your school's financial office can guide you through that, just fill out the FAFSA first).

Like @MLaura said, you simply fill out the FAFSA. You will receive an email with your financial aid award, which you must then accept or decline. Your award will likely include a federal unsubsidized loan and a grad plus loan.

Does anyone know anything about when the school puts out the list of required materials and textbooks for first year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully some more movement soon. I am getting excited again now that people are getting accepted off the waitlist.

I would suspect within the next week or so if people decline their seats, and then possibly again in first week of July for people who can't afford tuition or their loans aren't accepted.

Withdrawing from my seat today. I hope one of you gets it!

Anyone call the admissions office recently about possible waitlist movement?

I am beginning to think the class selection for 2015 has already been made. Despite the DO school deadline just passing us recently, there has been snail-like movement on the waitlist..shouldn't that be an indication that there's not much more movement to come?

I am beginning to think the class selection for 2015 has already been made. Despite the DO school deadline just passing us recently, there has been snail-like movement on the waitlist..shouldn't that be an indication that there's not much more movement to come?
Hmm... even if only one applicant declines a seat, there will be a domino effect. Let's say the NYCOM seat that PreSomething124 declines goes to me (hurray!!). I will accept the seat at NYCOM and then decline my seat at Touro. Someone else will get that seat and decline somewhere else - until it reaches an applicant that doesn't have a reserved seat. Let's keep our hopes up!

Hmm... even if only one applicant declines a seat, there will be a domino effect. Let's say the NYCOM seat that PreSomething124 declines goes to me (hurray!!). I will accept the seat at NYCOM and then decline my seat at Touro. Someone else will get that seat and decline somewhere else - until it reaches an applicant that doesn't have a reserved seat. Let's keep our hopes up!
That's a more positive way of looking at it I guess :)

I hope that's not the case. Hopefully we see some more movement around July 1st or so. It ain't over till its over!

For those who are on the waitlist and haven't been accepted elsewhere, have you submitted your app for the 2015-16 cycle yet? I'm thinking I might have to before it gets too late

Also consider the situation where a seat opens up, a spot is offered to someone towards the top of the waitlist and that applicant turns it down. This cascades down the list. I would imagine that the people at the top of the waitlist are more likely to have other acceptances elsewhere. Keep optimistic my friends :D

I called today to inquire about movement and was told that there is still quite a bit of movement expected into July. So we have that going for us. Good Luck everyone!

For those who are on the waitlist and haven't been accepted elsewhere, have you submitted your app for the 2015-16 cycle yet? I'm thinking I might have to before it gets too late

I sent out my application and would advise you to do the same. It cannot hurt and waiting can impact the next year's decision. I waited on another school last year and ended up sending out my application in September as a result (verified October I believe). Its still not terribly late in the DO cycle but it got me an II here in December and the only interview slots available were the last week of February. Of course as we know now, nearly everyone from the last week of February onward was waitlisted with a few exceptions. A month or even a few weeks can definitely make an impact. Of course its all anecdotal and I could easily have been waitlisted if I had interviewed a month earlier, we will never know. All I can say is, how much can it hurt? Its money, but it could easily be even more money down the road if you have to prepare for an additional application cycle.

Good Luck, and I would like nothing more than all of us getting accepted off the waitlist but having a solid backup plan is key.

Called last Friday, was told the usual stuff: still on the waitlist, still no movement, no further information. Sucks since NYCOM is still my top choice and would be so much easier for me to go to but at this point I really need to find living accommodations near LECOM. Waitlists are the worse.

Called last Friday, was told the usual stuff: still on the waitlist, still no movement, no further information. Sucks since NYCOM is still my top choice and would be so much easier for me to go to but at this point I really need to find living accommodations near LECOM. Waitlists are the worse.

it should be made illegal to make us wait so long

it should be made illegal to make us wait so long

I really do believe there should be an earlier cut off date for all schools to finalize the class, it's unfair to the students with the way it currently is. I was told by NYCOM that they could tell me as late as August 12 if I'm accepted but classes at LECOM start on July 27th. This puts me in a really tough spot as far as waiting for NYCOM even though I would VERY MUCH prefer to go to NYCOM.

Yea it's a pain, but it's all about the $$. Some people put their deposits down and just don't show up to orientation, so the school won't throw out the waitlist until the very last day because the no show would cost them thousands upon thousands. I'd be ecstatic if I were accepted off one of the 2 waitlists I'm on. I just want to get moving on to the next chapter of my life and not being accepted would be a major setback.

I agree with you all. This wait is torture. But we have no choice but to wait and somehow keep our hopes up. Anyone else withdraw recently or planning to?

of course it's about the $$ for the schools but students end up losing a lot of money as well so a middle ground would be fairer all around. That's just wishful thinking on my part though, I'll continue to hope for a NYCOM acceptance just like everyone else here lol.

People, you are killing me with every post. Whenever I see a news alert for NYCOM, I would think someone but me got accepted off the waitlist.

I have just learned to check less frequently haha. It takes the edge off. I am hoping that I am somewhere towards the top of the list, but its always scary being OOS. From the sounds of it the list is unranked and its uncertain what type of criteria they are looking for. Hoping whatever it may be, that its on my application. Well, actually all of our applications! :D. I got me some secret love for fellow SDN members.

Well I imagine it's internally ranked somehow. I can't imagine them going back to square one each and every time they need to fill spots. But its not publicly known, right? It would be reassuring to know this information. If I'm in the 50th percentile then I can relax knowing that I can focus my effort on next year. If I'm the 90th percentile then I can get super excited haha.

Just would be emotionally soothing.

Well I imagine it's internally ranked somehow. I can't imagine them going back to square one each and every time they need to fill spots. But its not publicly known, right? It would be reassuring to know this information. If I'm in the 50th percentile then I can relax knowing that I can focus my effort on next year. If I'm the 90th percentile then I can get super excited haha.

Just would be emotionally soothing.

They have told multiple people, including myself, that it is not ranked and that the committee is meeting frequently to discuss those on the waitlist. This would definitely explain why it has been taking so long for movement, especially if they have been failing to meet. Also, I would imagine that they have some type of standards to fulfill, which is why they aren't simply going from best to worst candidate. I think that they need to have a certain amount of ethnic diversity, gender diversity, traditional and non-traditional students, etc.

Maybe they met today (super optimism!), it has been a month since the first batch of people were accepted off the waitlist. I would imagine that they will be moving the list again soon so that they can fit in another update closer to orientation.

Remember we got more spots opening up and then of course people from the first batch turning down their waitlist acceptances too. It will happen if it happens, just hold the line for now. We got this.

Have to stay optimistic guys! I know it's hard but we just have to wait it out. Hopefully more movement in the coming weeks!

Maybe they met today (super optimism!), it has been a month since the first batch of people were accepted off the waitlist. I would imagine that they will be moving the list again soon so that they can fit in another update closer to orientation.

Remember we got more spots opening up and then of course people from the first batch turning down their waitlist acceptances too. It will happen if it happens, just hold the line for now. We got this.

I know, right. Another month has come and gone. Was anyone accepted from the waitlist within the past two weeks?

I want closure because this is so exhausting.

I know, right. Another month has come and gone. Was anyone accepted from the waitlist within the past two weeks?

I want closure because this is so exhausting.

Received a phone call and accepted off the waitlist 1 week ago, don't lose hope

Received a phone call and accepted off the waitlist 1 week ago, don't lose hope
Congrats! Thanks for letting us know and giving us hope! If you don't mind me asking, when did you interview and what are your stats?

i thought they send out acceptance by mail. I was out of country for a while. Hopefully I did not miss the call

i thought they send out acceptance by mail. I was out of country for a while. Hopefully I did not miss the call

Late in the cycle as in previous years, they have been known to call to speed up the process by a few days and receive immediate answers. They are scrambling to fill their seats as they open up due to people coming off the waitlist at their top choice.

For other accepted students - does anyone know if there is a Facebook group for our class?