New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Submitted and paid 8/21...how long did it take you guys from submission til you received secondary?

The secondary is available on the website after you turn in the primary.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pre-writing my secondaries since I submitted primary about a week and a half ago. Question on Volunteer vs Extracurriculars. Whats the difference?

I'm thinking that the volunteer portion should just include clubs, internship, fellowship (all un-paid) and then the question that asks for EC, hobbies, and interest should just be sort of personal things like played sports, hiking, camping, singer etc. Is this the right way of thinking?

I have internships/fellowship/club president that I did which was more or less volunteer work but they were outside of school so they kind of apply to both categories volunteer and EC.

Thanks!

I'm pre-writing my secondaries since I submitted primary about a week and a half ago. Question on Volunteer vs Extracurriculars. Whats the difference?

I'm thinking that the volunteer portion should just include clubs, internship, fellowship (all un-paid) and then the question that asks for EC, hobbies, and interest should just be sort of personal things like played sports, hiking, camping, singer etc. Is this the right way of thinking?

I have internships/fellowship/club president that I did which was more or less volunteer work but they were outside of school so they kind of apply to both categories volunteer and EC.

Thanks!

Off the top of my head, I think for me volunteering included stuff i did outside of school clubs. So if i was a president of like a pre med club, that would be an EC for me. Volunteering would be, for example, tutoring intercity school kids at a local library. EC would also be hobbies and what not.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do we find out if our apps are complete?

Just received secondary, cgpa 3.64 sgpa 3.60 MCAT 25 (8 PS, 7VR, 10BS), worth turning in secondary? Thanks!

Hopefully they get the ball rolling tomorrow with interview invites!

Just received secondary, cgpa 3.64 sgpa 3.60 MCAT 25 (8 PS, 7VR, 10BS), worth turning in secondary? Thanks!

Their average is 28 and 3.6 GPA might be worth it. You never know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm....I guess it is worth a shot, thanks!
Hopefully they get the ball rolling tomorrow with interview invites!

Their average is 28 and 3.6 GPA might be worth it. You never know.

Just checking on here to make sure I wasn't crazy for being worried for not hearing yet for interviews (or anything at all)...but I guess none for the first round have gone out yet. Here's hoping soon and for something good!

Reactions: 1 user
The secondary is available on the website after you turn in the primary.

They actually emailed me with a link to the secondaries, a month or so back, once I'd finished that, they emailed me saying my file is complete. I was curious has anybody gotten an interview from this school at this stage. They sent in the secondaries so late in the game, I am not sure if they'll interview before October end and November Begins.

They actually emailed me with a link to the secondaries, a month or so back, once I'd finished that, they emailed me saying my file is complete. I was curious has anybody gotten an interview from this school at this stage. They sent in the secondaries so late in the game, I am not sure if they'll interview before October end and November Begins.
It is getting kind of late but in the past they started interviewing in October.

They do end up sending emails for secondaries, but these come out WEEKS after the actual secondaries are available online. They do mention that the secondary process is open and you can access the material at any time, but most people do not catch this and as a result end up getting verified later in the game. I actually posted in the forum a few days before NYIT's secondaries were online to remind everyone, but that was a month or two ago at this point.

That being said, I've been verified for a long time and haven't heard anything. This school interviews late, and it's frustrating because I've already been accepted to a school I'd like to matriculate to, and probably will not interview anymore. Would have been nice to see the campus though.

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
"Interviews will begin in late October and continue until late spring."

Complete email today. Interviews begin in Nov
Hey, did you mean complete email that says "your supplemental application is now complete?" or complete in terms of all the required materials? I only received the complete email for my secondary (which I stupidly submitted 1 month before my AACOMAS was verified).. and have not heard from them since....

For the secondary, did you guys include descriptions or just list the EC's, work experience, etc etc?

I got this on August 18th: (and I haven't heard a thing back since. IS 4.0S 3.7C 28 MCAT and my sister is an alumni, so I am competitive)

"We have received payment confirmation from PayPal. Your supplemental application is now complete.

If you wish to add additional information to your application, you may do so by clicking the "Add Additional Information" button at the bottom of the "Review" page. Please note that the additional information utility is offered purely as a courtesy. Any important addendums may be sent directly to the Admissions office in writing.

If you have any questions regarding your application, your application payment, or the admissions process, please contact the College of Osteopathic Medicine Admissions department at [email protected].

If you have any technical questions regarding your online application, please contact the Academic Technologies Group at [email protected].

Regards,

NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine Office of Admissions
Northern Boulevard, Old Westbury, NY 11568-9818"

Hey Everyone, I'll be applying there. NYCOM is my #1 choice. Can anyone recommend anything that I can do to increase my chance of getting accepted here?

Hey Everyone, I'll be applying there. NYCOM is my #1 choice. Can anyone recommend anything that I can do to increase my chance of getting accepted here?

Move to the state and apply again next year with better stats, like others have said on your other post.

Hey, did you mean complete email that says "your supplemental application is now complete?" or complete in terms of all the required materials? I only received the complete email for my secondary (which I stupidly submitted 1 month before my AACOMAS was verified).. and have not heard from them since....

It said they received my AACOMAS application, supplemental application and recommendation letters and made my file complete

So I see someone said interviews will begin in November? I hope that means invites will go out soon.

So I see someone said interviews will begin in November? I hope that means invites will go out soon.
Probably next month. Their website says November. I can't wait to hear back!

Hopefully we all hear this week :D!

This is a silly question, but when you guys uploaded your photo for the secondary, did it look kind of stretched out? Mine makes me look thin... unnaturally thin, lol.

Oh I didn't hear anything. I'm just excited to finally be in the month of October, when we'll probably hear back.

haha oh gotchya. completely read that differently lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
First II !!!!!!

After lurking for over a year, I finally made an account now that I have good news.
Scheduled for Nov. 4!

3.73cGPa, 3.5sGPA, 8/10/8

Reactions: 4 users
First II !!!!!!

After lurking for over a year, I finally made an account now that I have good news.
Scheduled for Nov. 4!

When did you find out??!! and Congrats!

When did you find out??!! and Congrats!

Not sure if I'm replying correctly... Found out I was rejected from LECOM Bradenton this morning, then received an email from NYCOM at 2:23 pm.

First II !!!!!!

Scheduled for Nov. 4!

Congrats! IS or OOS? Nothing over herrrrreeeee :(

First II !!!!!!

Scheduled for Nov. 4!

holy moly I hope I get one soon

Reactions: 1 users
First II !!!!!!

Scheduled for Nov. 4!

I am wondering if Nov. 4th is the earliest interview date of NYIT-COM?

I am wondering if Nov. 4th is the earliest interview date of NYIT-COM?

I think so because the email says that interviews are offered Tues & Weds only, and Nov 4 (Tues) was the first date I was offered when I called. There are morning (8:45) and afternoon (10:45) sessions.

II! I love NYCOM! :) LM: 66. Complete: Aug 23.