New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone describe any of their volunteer, shadow, research, work experiences? Don't know if I should give a brief description or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone describe any of their volunteer, shadow, research, work experiences? Don't know if I should give a brief description or not.

I just listed without descriptions. Everything I listed is described on the primary app and in the app instructions it doesn't say you are required to describe them

Reactions: 1 user
For listing the letter reccommenders on the application..if we have a committee packet...do we only write the name of the committee packet writer...or do I write also the names of the individual letter writers included inthe packet?? I have 4 science LOR's but only enough space for 2....the other 2 spaces are for non science and other (non faculty)

Members don't see this ad :)
For listing the letter reccommenders on the application..if we have a committee packet...do we only write the name of the committee packet writer...or do I write also the names of the individual letter writers included inthe packet?? I have 4 science LOR's but only enough space for 2....the other 2 spaces are for non science and other (non faculty)

I just listed the committee letter writer

This is what I got from their website: "1. Does the College of Osteopathic Medicine use a supplemental application? Yes, we use an online supplemental application that is for all applicants. It is important to complete the supplemental as soon as you have received an email from us acknowledging your AACOMAS application and directing you to the supplemental. For more specific questions and instructions for the supplemental application, visit the "How to Apply" tab on our website."

Should I not fill out a secondary until I've received an email from them??? I read on here to go ahead and fill one out? Is that correct???

This is what I got from their website: "1. Does the College of Osteopathic Medicine use a supplemental application? Yes, we use an online supplemental application that is for all applicants. It is important to complete the supplemental as soon as you have received an email from us acknowledging your AACOMAS application and directing you to the supplemental. For more specific questions and instructions for the supplemental application, visit the "How to Apply" tab on our website."

Should I not fill out a secondary until I've received an email from them??? I read on here to go ahead and fill one out? Is that correct???

Yes, you can go ahead and just fill one out provided you have already submitted your primary and have been verified.

My secondary was just marked as complete today. I submitted it on 7/15
I got an email saying my payment went through, does that mean my secondary is complete too or are they going to send me another email once they have received my LORs?

I screwed up and submitted payment and the app before the email. I emailed them yesterday but no response. I really don't wanta screw up this school.

I got one right after submitting saying thank you for submitting your app. And then I got one today saying payment has been received and my application is complete. I am not sure about the LORs, and on their site it only mentions sending letters through Interfolio or Virtual Evals. Nothing about AACOMAS so I may email them to confirm they have my MCAT and LORs.

just to clarify, did you get an email from nyit saying that your application is complete or your supplemental application is complete ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed, they said it was okay but you can't be reviewed until everything is in.

I emailed, they said it was okay but you can't be reviewed until everything is in.

Awesome, thanks for that. I suppose it will help expedite their review of an app

I have a question. Thinking of applying here (3.55/513), but am nervous about the exorbitant tuition and living costs. Does anyone know how people usually handle this? Is student indebtedness just outrageous here? That said, I would still LOVE to attend, so chances are I will go forward with the application.

I have a question. Thinking of applying here (3.55/513), but am nervous about the exorbitant tuition and living costs. Does anyone know how people usually handle this? Is student indebtedness just outrageous here? That said, I would still LOVE to attend, so chances are I will go forward with the application.
good MCAT, maybe you have a shot with NYU, LIJ etc.

Hey everyone! I'm currently an incoming first year student at NYIT-COM. Please do not hesitate to ask me any questions that you may have!

Hey everyone! I'm currently an incoming first year student at NYIT-COM. Please do not hesitate to ask me any questions that you may have!

Just a reiteration of my previous question. How is it possible to attend a pricey school in such a luxurious part of Long Island? I would love to apply here and think I have a decent chance (3.55/513) but I don't know how I would ever handle such costs. I am also married and will most likely start a family while in medical school. Have you seen other students in this situation? Any advice appreciated.

Just a reiteration of my previous question. How is it possible to attend a pricey school in such a luxurious part of Long Island? I would love to apply here and think I have a decent chance (3.55/513) but I don't know how I would ever handle such costs. I am also married and will most likely start a family while in medical school. Have you seen other students in this situation? Any advice appreciated.

I agree completely. Living on Long Island can be very expensive. If living costs are an issue, I would look up apartments/homes in the area surrounding Old Westbury in order to get an idea of the kind of prices. Maybe contact the financial aid office to speak with a financial counselor who should be able to guide you in this process.

Just submitted! Hardest part was having the time to take a good composite picture and photoshop/crop it

When they say "college" where they ask you to list who recommends you to NYIT, do you put the college they studied at or the college they are teaching at?

Hey guys so I still haven't received anything from NYIT-COM and its one of my top choices. For those of you who got the secondary (or even an email...) when were you verified? I was verified 7/6 and still nothing from them. I am considering emailing to make sure AACOMAS was not causing issues or something.

And I meet the cutoffs/minimum requirements

I submitted my primary in early June and haven't even heard from NYIT that they received it. Is this normal?

I never heard they received my primary. I filled out a secondary and it says application complete. Does that mean they have my primary?

I never heard they received my primary. I filled out a secondary and it says application complete. Does that mean they have my primary?

I haven't heard anything either. Where can we fill out the secondary

Do you need to receive an email in order to submit the secondary? or can you just go on the website and apply?

Do you need to receive an email in order to submit the secondary? or can you just go on the website and apply?
I would wait until you get an email. I think its Einstein but not 100% sure but there is altleast one school that will take your money then delete your app if you submit it before an email.

I would wait until you get an email. I think its Einstein but not 100% sure but there is altleast one school that will take your money then delete your app if you submit it before an email.

It has already been established in this thread that you can submit it prior to getting an email

It has already been established in this thread that you can submit it prior to getting an email
You're right. I saw the wrong name in this forum. I actually submitted before I got an email.

has anyone gotten an email acknowledging they have received the AACOMAS app? I submitted the secondary already and it's complete, but haven't heard anything from them about getting my primary app...

has anyone gotten an email acknowledging they have received the AACOMAS app? I submitted the secondary already and it's complete, but haven't heard anything from them about getting my primary app...

I just got one this morning!

Just got an email that they have my primary app.

Last edited:
For those of you with AACOMAS Fee Waivers, I just got an email reply saying they won't take them, despite what is written on their website and CIB.

Wait...so if we already submitted the secondary but got the aacomas received email today we are good to go right?

yes, at the bottom of the email it states to disregard the email if you already submitted a secondary.

Does anybody know if they screen for secondary?

Got the email as well but I already submitted the secondary. Hopefully they start reviewing apps soon!

I'm at work and can't get a good look at the secondary. Are there essays beyond the ones where you list activities and stuff?

For those of you with AACOMAS Fee Waivers, I just got an email reply saying they won't take them, despite what is written on their website and CIB.

I just got an email saying that they would waive my secondary application.

Supplemental received and submitted just now :)

I heard a lot of students fail out of this school. Is that true?

can anyone give some honest insight on my chances here? I'm applying with a 3.4 spa 3.57 cgpa and a 25 mcat, URM with recent (~1year )experience as a translator and scribe and past experience in long term/dementia care (~3 years) .. currently enrolloed in a masters program to start this fall