New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's the social scene like at the school?'aside from constant studying where do students go to socials and meet other students?
There are enough clubs that there are several meetings for things a week. There are a few school-wide events a semester: the annual Osteoblast dance in the fall and the Osteoclast dance in the spring, there was a recent ski trip and there is a bowling/party event happening in a few weeks. On the whole, its really as social as you make it.

Members don't see this ad.

How is the housing situation around the campus. I am looking at rent prices around the area and they're NYC prices.
You will see lower priced options towards the spring when renters start looking to fill their next lease. The reason there are no lower cost options now is that they are all currently filled. If you live with others, you can expect to pay $600-800 a month. If you want to live by yourself, expect $1200-infinity.

Does anyone have access to the 2016 Matchlist for NYIT that just came out? Interested in seeing how the most recent cohort fared. I think the website to access it is https://natmatch.com/aoairp/schlresult.html but need a NYIT password. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know when the freshman class starts this year?

is this school done giving interviews for this cycle? anyone get a recent II ?

Hey guys! Crazy question but I have an interview for NYIT Arkansas and I was wondering with it being a webcam interview, what is the appropriate wear? Just dress as if I was going to a normal interview correct? I have never done one of these before so I am in the dark here! Any advice would be great.

Called admissions, they will be extending interviews until late April. Lets remains positive that we will get one soon!

Reactions: 1 users
i have to start to look for housing too. i don't know anything about long island
Once you are accepted to the school, the school will send you a website where they regularly post the rentals available nearby the school. Moreover, you should join the facebook group for your class. I believe by May, people start posting about housing and renting in general, and that's how I found my rental too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Once you are accepted to the school, the school will send you a website where they regularly post the rentals available nearby the school. Moreover, you should join the facebook group for your class. I believe by May, people start posting about housing and renting in general, and that's how I found my rental too.
okay awesome thanks dude. what is your overall opinion of the school so far? are you guys a tight knit community? how often do people go out as a class and interact?
i heard that its a commuter school so people don't really spend time on campus what do you think?

Hey guys! Crazy question but I have an interview for NYIT Arkansas and I was wondering with it being a webcam interview, what is the appropriate wear? Just dress as if I was going to a normal interview correct? I have never done one of these before so I am in the dark here! Any advice would be great.

Normal top. Sweatpants bottom :)

Reactions: 1 user
okay awesome thanks dude. what is your overall opinion of the school so far? are you guys a tight knit community? how often do people go out as a class and interact?
i heard that its a commuter school so people don't really spend time on campus what do you think?
I like the school so far. No major complaints. The administration and faculty seems to really care about their students and it seems like whatever major complaints we had so far were addressed. The material that is taught correlates well with First Aid.
As far as commuter school goes, I don't attend lectures. So basically I go to school just for labs, research, and exams. But you do form good friends from the people you meet in your labs because you work in small groups of 8-10 people in labs..so you really get to know the people you are working with. And in OMM, we worked with different people last semester and this semester, I am in another section, so you get to meet new people too.
And yes as a whole class, you do attend couple of events. We had one in Fall (osteoblast) where we went out as a class to party and dance! And we have 2 events this semester: Strike- bowling event where people from all 4 classes come and Osteoclast.
Feel free to ask any other questions!

I like the school so far. No major complaints. The administration and faculty seems to really care about their students and it seems like whatever major complaints we had so far were addressed. The material that is taught correlates well with First Aid.
As far as commuter school goes, I don't attend lectures. So basically I go to school just for labs, research, and exams. But you do form good friends from the people you meet in your labs because you work in small groups of 8-10 people in labs..so you really get to know the people you are working with. And in OMM, we worked with different people last semester and this semester, I am in another section, so you get to meet new people too.
And yes as a whole class, you do attend couple of events. We had one in Fall (osteoblast) where we went out as a class to party and dance! And we have 2 events this semester: Strike- bowling event where people from all 4 classes come and Osteoclast.
Feel free to ask any other questions!
I'm from NYC so LI would be a big change from me. How do you living there? Is there anything to do on the weekends or days off? Besides bars which I'm sure there are plenty is there anything else cool around like scenic places or sports clubs to join etc. also how far do students typically live from the school?

I'm from NYC so LI would be a big change from me. How do you living there? Is there anything to do on the weekends or days off? Besides bars which I'm sure there are plenty is there anything else cool around like scenic places or sports clubs to join etc. also how far do students typically live from the school?

Long Island a big change. It's the 'burbs. You will have to drive everywhere. Forget walking to buy milk. Fortunately, we are only here for two years.

Things to do on the weekends? You mean, besides catch up on classwork and studying! There are gyms like NYSC, YMCA, etc. My classmate takes art classes in the area. There's also a ceramics studio, boxing, things like that. As for scenic places, you should check out the Long Island Greenbelt. They organize hikes to scenic areas along the island.

I think most students live about 15 minutes away from school in the Glen Cove or Sea Cliff area.

Wanted to chime in on this, to add another perspective:

We are a commuter school. Our cafe closes around 4PM Monday to Friday and is not open on the weekends. . Lots of students stay on campus late to study until midnight or 2AM. Our silent study room closes at 2AM. But all of that means students often bring their own meals. The school keeps industrial sized fridges and the only things accessible to us after the cafe closes are the microwaves.

Going out as a class happens once in a while when there are socials hosted by the school. Like bowling, like osteoblast. Otherwise, the class of 2019 has been rather clique-y. The upperclassmen have mentioned our grade is much more every man for himself than previous years. Overall, people are civil and pleasant. and have decorum. However, if the people are truly kind and care for each other? not sure exactly but I'm not complaining.

With a class of 300 students, you will surely find someone you can be friends with and if you find someone you don't want to be friends with, chances are, the next time you will see them is graduation.

Can any 3rd/4th year comment on their experience in creating rotation schedule. Did you guys get the places you wanted and how was those rotational places? In addition, what is the caliber of the rotations that require an actual application with stats etc.

can any current students advocate for the problem based learning curriculum. do you guys feel like it has prepared or is preparing you for the step 1?

@babakg Yes, I believe so. I got it off the myNYIT webpage. Regardless, if you're starting this fall, you'll be there a few days ahead of time anyway! :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

@babakg Yes, I believe so. I got it off the myNYIT webpage. Regardless, if you're starting this fall, you'll be there a few days ahead of time anyway! :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

it sounds late, but sounds good. wanted to see how long I have to wait until I hear from the waitlist....looks like its gonna be a long wait.

it sounds late, but sounds good. wanted to see how long I have to wait until I hear from the waitlist....looks like its gonna be a long wait.

I'm not sure where the Sept 7th date came from.. maybe from the regular NYIT undergraduate schedule. It can be a little confusing. This year, first years (class of 2019) had orientation from August 12 – August 14, 2015. First day of classes was August 17th for first and second years.

Hi all, I have my NYIT arkansas campus II in two days via ZOOM. Those of you who interviewed for that specific campus, what kind of questions did they ask you?

I have mine in 2 days. I was gong to dress just as if going to a normal interview. It still is an interview. :)

Anyone have recommendations on good areas to look for, for housing? I know one of the docs I work with recommended looking west of Old Westbury (to go opposite traffic to NYC) but is there any areas to especially avoid or are especially nice?

Anyone have recommendations on good areas to look for, for housing? I know one of the docs I work with recommended looking west of Old Westbury (to go opposite traffic to NYC) but is there any areas to especially avoid or are especially nice?

Glen Cove, Sea Cliff, Locust Valley!

not me! I was kind of wondering how nycom's waitlist was going to move this year - this year's waitlist pattern was so entirely different than last year's I have no idea what's going to happen

not me! I was kind of wondering how nycom's waitlist was going to move this year - this year's waitlist pattern was so entirely different than last year's I have no idea what's going to happen
How did it work last year? I'm anxious to get off the wait list here as well!

How did it work last year? I'm anxious to get off the wait list here as well!
Well, going off of last year's thread (which we can assume is only moderately accurate given the number of people who post on sdn), this year is different because the school began to interview about two months earlier than previous years. Last year, applicants continued to interview and be directly accepted through the spring and the waitlisting didn't start until May. This year, there was a mass waitlisting in January. Who knows!

Any advice as far as questions for someone interviewing via zoom for NYIT Arkansas?

does NYIT usually send complete emails once your secondary is in? I've been waiting for a while now and I haven't received any communication after I submitted my secondary.

Accepted!! First one!! I'm crying!

Reactions: 4 users
From the waitlist at NYIT new york?

No, I was accepted 10 days after my interview. So weird considering some people heard silence for 4 months here too. Med school admissions are weird for sure.

No, I was accepted 10 days after my interview. So weird considering some people heard silence for 4 months here too. Med school admissions are weird for sure.

did you get a complete email after submitting? I have been sitting on complete silence after submission and I just hope my application hasn't been lost.

did you get a complete email after submitting? I have been sitting on complete silence after submission and I just hope my application hasn't been lost.

I did not. I actually went and found the supplemental online myself and did it before they even sent me one haha so I was super sketched that you don't get a confirmation

I did not. I actually went and found the supplemental online myself and did it before they even sent me one haha so I was super sketched that you don't get a confirmation

I waited until they sent me a supplement. The day I got the supplement, I submitted it, and just never heard anything. But this gives me hope that I guess this is the norm for NYIT-COM. Thanks for responding!

CONGRATS!
Hopefully we'll all have some good news for each other in the coming months!

What date did you interview? For the Arkansas campus, correct?