New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NYITCOM has BY FAR the rudest, most unhelpful admissions staff in the country. I'll spare the details but it is absolutely ridiculous that a school thinks it is okay to abruptly hang up telephone calls, lie about application/deposit statuses, or forward applications to satellite campuses without proper consent. Unbelievable.
To 2016-2017 applicants: Go to either of the other Touro campuses.
Please don't spare the details. I'm also annoyed with the admissions staff here, incredibly unhelpful and rude when asked a question. Not to mention it took them 3 months to give me a decision that was supposed to take "4-6 weeks"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Any current students or anyone know what the student race demographics are like here? Just wondering what the diversity looks like.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current students or anyone know what the student race demographics are like here? Just wondering what the diversity looks like.

a lot of whites and Asians

From AACOMAS booklet:

First-Year Class Matriculants’
Self-Reported Race/Ethnicity:
Percentages are based on self-reported data and therefore may not equal 100%.
American Indian or Alaska Native: 0%
Asian: 49%
Black or African American: 3%
Hispanic/Latino: 2%
Pacific Islander: 0%
White: 46%
Other/No Answer: 0%

I wish we had like 1 Alaskan native to teach me how to hunt orcas and cool Alaskan stuff

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Please don't spare the details. I'm also annoyed with the admissions staff here, incredibly unhelpful and rude when asked a question. Not to mention it took them 3 months to give me a decision that was supposed to take "4-6 weeks"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
@redman93 @WeDoNotSow

There was a bug with my AACOMAS primary app where it wouldn't show my extracurriculars to the schools I applied to. I applied to 10 DO schools. 8 of them were able to quickly fix it when notified. NYITCOM and PCOM were the only 2 schools that didn't despite multiple attempts at notifying them and speaking with them about it. They were always very rude and unhelpful and frequently hung up the phone.
I also found out that, basically, the NY campus is pretty much doing the "behind the scenes work" for the Arkansas campus as well where applications are flagged and forwarded to the other campus while not being considered for the NY campus.
The problem with NYITCOM, in my opinion, is a seriously understaffed admissions department, which is not an excuse at all. The school receives about 10,000 applications per cycle but only have like 5 people in the department. I know because of the number of times I've contacted them and spoken to them. I believe this is one of the reasons why they respond to interview candidates soo late.
The only thing going for this school is its location and everyone knows it.

Reactions: 2 users
This school will get you better rotations then your touro options in NY.

But if u want better competitiveness go out of state

There's too many med schools in NY.
If u go to Nevada there's only 2
Residencies of your choice are easier to attain.

What grades do I need to maintain my final semester, so that I do not lose my acceptance from nycom?

Does anyone know why you're not allowed to waive health insurance from the med school through an individual plan?

You're allowed to if you're parent or spouse is enrolled in a group plan with you, if you get insurance through the military, or if you're on Medicaid but you're not allowed to on an individual plan. The insurance through the school would be about twice as expensive as the insurance I have now.

What grades do I need to maintain my final semester, so that I do not lose my acceptance from nycom?

Maybe other people have heard differently but I would think as long as you passed your classes you'd be alright. If they liked you enough to accept you then I would think it would take pretty poor grades to reverse their decision.

Here was the 2016 match data released on the 2017 fb page recently. I'l just transferring it here with names removed. Some great matches!

Attachments

• 2016nyit.xlsx
    3.4 MB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Does anyone know why you're not allowed to waive health insurance from the med school through an individual plan?

You're allowed to if you're parent or spouse is enrolled in a group plan with you, if you get insurance through the military, or if you're on Medicaid but you're not allowed to on an individual plan. The insurance through the school would be about twice as expensive as the insurance I have now.

Yeah I asked they said we can't take insurance out by ourselves.

anybody that's been on the waitlist since january hear back?
the wait is killing me.............

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody that's been on the waitlist since january hear back?
the wait is killing me.............
When I asked, they told me the waitlist starts to see movement in June so there's still some time to wait.

How much waitlist movement is there for DPC?

Has anyone else been left with no communication since secondary? Lol

been chillen on the wait list since january. zero contact

Haven't received interview or rejection letter yet. Emailed admissions to see if application was complete and they said yes its on file. Is it likely that seats will open and a new round of interviews will be given for those seats? Or why else wouldn't they just send a rejection notice. Anyone else have this same situation?

Reactions: 1 users
Yah I highly doubt they are still offering interviews, guess they are just procrastinating our rejection notice.

Did anyone who submitted the medical insurance waiver form still get charged on the E-Bill statement? I tried reaching out to the school, but no one has been replying

Did anyone who submitted the medical insurance waiver form still get charged on the E-Bill statement? I tried reaching out to the school, but no one has been replying
Just realized this happened to me too. gonna try calling them tomorrow

Just realized this happened to me too. gonna try calling them tomorrow

I'm going to the Arkansas campus, but I asked about this issue a few weeks ago and I assume it is the same for the New York campus students. They told me that the insurance provider will review the waivers at the end of July since coverage will not begin until August. If you are paying with cash instead of loans you have to contact them so they can have the company review the waiver now so you can pay your bill in full by July 1.

I'm going to the Arkansas campus, but I asked about this issue a few weeks ago and I assume it is the same for the New York campus students. They told me that the insurance provider will review the waivers at the end of July since coverage will not begin until August. If you are paying with cash instead of loans you have to contact them so they can have the company review the waiver now so you can pay your bill in full by July 1.
Oh wow thats kinda annoying.. Thanks so much for the help!

Has anyone else been left with no communication since secondary? Lol
yep me! and when I call they say just wait, we will contact you...it's the middle of May for god's sake

Going to withdraw my acceptance today, I was wondering if any one knows NYCOM's policy on the deposit? I remember seeing some other students were reimbursed the deposit. Just want to know how to go about this or if I'm taking that up as a loss. Thanks and best of luck to anyone on the waitlist, hope you take my seat and become an amazing doc!

Going to withdraw my acceptance today, I was wondering if any one knows NYCOM's policy on the deposit? I remember seeing some other students were reimbursed the deposit. Just want to know how to go about this or if I'm taking that up as a loss. Thanks and best of luck to anyone on the waitlist, hope you take my seat and become an amazing doc!

I don't think you can get the deposit back, which stinks since it's 1.5k.

I contacted Mr. Sico Brack. He said that they'll inform me if the waiver has been improved. I have medicaid at the moment, so I should definitely be waived. Would rather not that 2.5k charge on my e-bill.

For those of us who have been waitlisted, now's the movement time! Best of luck

Anyone have any insight to how much movement there is on the waitlist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I called back in March they said waitlist movement begins in June....keeping high hopes here.

Withdrew my acceptance today, I hope one of you gets it!

Does anyone know if there has been any more movement on the waitlist?

Does anyone know if there has been any more movement on the waitlist?

I called this morning...they said they are reviewing people on the waitlist and will call if you are chosen. Fingers crossed.

Yes a friend of mine heard back today. He said they call you, and if you miss the call, they give away the seat to the next person in line in about 10 minutes, so be sure to hold onto your phone at all times.

"He said they call you, and if you miss the call, they give away the seat to the next person in line in about 10 minutes". Who would believe this? :eyebrow: If they actually do that, it's pretty scary.

Yes a friend of mine heard back today. He said they call you, and if you miss the call, they give away the seat to the next person in line in about 10 minutes, so be sure to hold onto your phone at all times.
How would he know?

Anyone with under a 500 MCAT mind sharing if you were accepted and what your GPA was and if there was anything "unusual"/ nontraditional about your app?

Last edited: