New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II at NY campus today! OOS, complete since early July but didn't get an official e-mail (mainly because I reached out) until 8/8.

I'm from the NE so it looks like they're giving II to whichever campus location is closer to you(?). Just a hunch.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
II at NY campus today! OOS, complete since early July but didn't get an official e-mail (mainly because I reached out) until 8/8.

I'm from the NE so it looks like they're giving II to whichever campus location is closer to you(?). Just a hunch.

Congrats! Wait, you got a complete email from them? I called before and they said that they don't send out complete emails, only payment confirmation emails. Also, do you mind sharing your stats?

Nothing for me. I never got a complete email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Wait, you got a complete email from them? I called before and they said that they don't send out complete emails, only payment confirmation emails. Also, do you mind sharing your stats?

I e-mailed them asking where I stood in the process, and they replied by giving me the complete e-mail it was weird. LizzyM 68.

Hey guys! I only applied to NY campus only but just got an II from Arkansas campus..
Does this mean I won't be considered at NY campus? I don't know how I was invited for the interview either..
I just called admissions regarding this, because I really only want to attend the NY campus. She explained to me that I would have to email them and give my reasons for why I would prefer NY, but this forfeits your interview at Arkansas and does not necessarily guarantee you an interview at the NY location. It's a trade-off, I'm doing my due diligence by researching more about the Arkansas campus before deciding that I do not want to go there.

I just called admissions regarding this, because I really only want to attend the NY campus. She explained to me that I would have to email them and give my reasons for why I would prefer NY, but this forfeits your interview at Arkansas and does not necessarily guarantee you an interview at the NY location. It's a trade-off, I'm doing my due diligence by researching more about the Arkansas campus before deciding that I do not want to go there.
I live near the AR campus. I toured the school a few months ago, and it looks really nice. It's located in the middle of the Arkansas State University campus. I've worked around the associate dean in the past, and I feel like he will work hard to make things as good as they can be. From what we were told, they've already secured a large number of clinical sites, and will continue to seek more over the next two years. I've talked to a few of the students already, but it was in their first week and all they said was that the classes are intense. Jonesboro is a town of around 70000 people, and has anything you could really need. Cost of living is pretty reasonable. If anyone has any specific questions about the town, feel free to ask on here or PM me. I'll be glad to help any way I can.

Does this school average multiple MCAT scores or considers the highest score from multiple attempts? I took the old MCAT in 2010, twice, and will be re-taking the new exam in Jan 2017. So, will the school average all 3 or take the highest? Thanks!

Does this school average multiple MCAT scores or considers the highest score from multiple attempts? I took the old MCAT in 2010, twice, and will be re-taking the new exam in Jan 2017. So, will the school average all 3 or take the highest? Thanks!
Im pretty sure scores over 3 years are considered "expired." Hopefully they won't even pay them much attention. I don't think they will hold you to them.

Reactions: 1 users
For folks who are from or have been to the Arkansas campus, what's the area like?? What are the main differences between the NY and Arkansas campus?

For folks who are from or have been to the Arkansas campus, what's the area like?? What are the main differences between the NY and Arkansas campus?

Arkansas is a rural state. There are a few nice towns within the state but if you love the city life, I would select NY over AR.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I cannot make comparisons of the two campuses, but I can provide information about the Jonesboro, AR area. The COM is located in the middle of the Arkansas State University Campus. They remodeled an existing building to serve as the COM. Facilities are very nice. Both the gross anatomy lab and OMM lab are impressive. They have a mock ER room, OR room, and 10 bed clinic. Jonesboro is a town of around 70000. It really has anything you could ask for as far as dining or entertainment. It is in a dry county, but there's no shortage of liquor by-the-drink. Surrounding areas are mostly farm land. Cost of living is very reasonable, and if you prefer to live in a smaller town setting, there are smaller towns with nice houses and apartments within 10-15 minutes of campus. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It was one secondary for both campuses right?

I live near the AR campus. I toured the school a few months ago, and it looks really nice. It's located in the middle of the Arkansas State University campus. I've worked around the associate dean in the past, and I feel like he will work hard to make things as good as they can be. From what we were told, they've already secured a large number of clinical sites, and will continue to seek more over the next two years. I've talked to a few of the students already, but it was in their first week and all they said was that the classes are intense. Jonesboro is a town of around 70000 people, and has anything you could really need. Cost of living is pretty reasonable. If anyone has any specific questions about the town, feel free to ask on here or PM me. I'll be glad to help any way I can.
Thanks so much! I did send in a letter requesting that they consider me for the NY campus, I'm assuming this will forfeit my II for Arkansas but like someone had mentioned above, I can't see myself going to school in Arkansas for 4 years so probably wise for me. Helpful to know that it's still a good location with clinical sites though :)

Hi guys! Ok, so two questions:

1. I was a little late in the application process due to personal reasons, but I was wondering, based on my stats, what my chances of getting into NYCOM are? This is my top school so I really hope to get in!
cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.44
MCAT: 504
My secondaries just got confirmed today, so hopefully, I'll hear back from them soon!

2. For your LORs, did the person writing your letter have to state your AACOMAS ID number in the letter they wrote?

Hi guys! Ok, so two questions:

1. I was a little late in the application process due to personal reasons, but I was wondering, based on my stats, what my chances of getting into NYCOM are? This is my top school so I really hope to get in!
cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.44
MCAT: 504
My secondaries just got confirmed today, so hopefully, I'll hear back from them soon!

2. For your LORs, did the person writing your letter have to state your AACOMAS ID number in the letter they wrote?
Also, I'm an NY resident, if that helps :)

Your secondaries got confirmed? As in a complete email? If you are in state, I would say you have a decent shot.

For the letters of rec, does the last faculty have to be non science or can all 3 of the individuals be science?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Your secondaries got confirmed? As in a complete email? If you are in state, I would say you have a decent shot.
I had an email saying that they received my payment and my supplemental application is now complete, so thats kind of what I meant by confirmed :)

They don't send complete emails. When I asked them they said "if something is missing from your app we will email you to inform you" something along those lines

Thanks so much! I did send in a letter requesting that they consider me for the NY campus, I'm assuming this will forfeit my II for Arkansas but like someone had mentioned above, I can't see myself going to school in Arkansas for 4 years so probably wise for me. Helpful to know that it's still a good location with clinical sites though :)
Officially declined interview for Arkansas campus; just a heads up for anyone else who's in the same situation that that's what you'll have to do if you want to be just considered for NY campus.

I would love to be considered for the Arkansas campus...

II at NY campus just now!!!!!!!
Super pumped!

Reactions: 3 users
What are your stats? I feel like they go off of MCAT scores first.

Thank you! Got conformation of payment on July 22! High GPA, MCAT is in 502-505 range! Hope it helps!

I'm not sure how similarly the NY and AR campuses are, but I have an II in Jonesboro with a 29 MCAT.

Congrats you guys!!! I'm hoping this means they have yet to go through the August secondary submissions. That photo took me forever to figure out @_@

II just now!!! Arkansas Campus Complete 8/3/16!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Does NYIT give out II's to those on the West Coast (CA applicant)? Just quickly perusing this thread it seems the majority are from the region, but just curious if anyone could offer any insight? Tried searching their website and StartClass but couldn't find anything, unless I'm a complete dodo and I missed something glaringly obvious. Thanks!

Is this their first class? Anyone have input on the school?

Anyone know if they are eligible for financial aid? I would think so since it's a branch campus.

Received an II on Monday (9/6) for the NY campus :) I'm OOS (although not by much, I'm from CT) so I'm excited! I didn't realize they were so heavily biased toward IS until reading this thread.

Received an II on Monday (9/6) for the NY campus :) I'm OOS (although not by much, I'm from CT) so I'm excited! I didn't realize they were so heavily biased toward IS until reading this thread.

When did you submit? Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anyone know if they are eligible for financial aid? I would think so since it's a branch campus.
As far as I know they are. I can't remember for sure, but it seems like when I toured it they told us that were. They should be since it's a branch.

II just now!! Complete 7/17 OOS but Northeast resident

Interview invite today!!! Completed on 9/6. New York resident

Guys...

Would it be safe to assume that submissions before September have been silently rejected? :unsure:

Guys...

Would it be safe to assume that submissions before September have been silently rejected? :unsure:

Considering I just got an II today and I was complete in July ... I'd take a gander that the answer is no lol