New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When did you apply? It almost feels like they review them randomly, some people got a II a lot sooner and others didn't (with similar stats). I wouldn't be too worried though, it's still fairly early in the cycle.
Secondary submitted on 7/22

Members don't see this ad.

Complete since 7/29 and nothing. ~64 LM OOS

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. I have an II at the Arkansas campus close to end of this month, but haven't really heard much about it, since it's fairly new. Anyone have any info?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys. I have an II at the Arkansas campus close to end of this month, but haven't really heard much about it, since it's fairly new. Anyone have any info?
There's another thread for this campus that doesn't seem to get too much attention but might be a little helpful. The NYITCOM-Jonesboro facilities are on the Arkansas State University campus, and everything is very modern and new. A lot of the classes are via teleconferencing from the NY location, but there are professors in the classrooms to answer questions. I was pretty impressed when I toured during my interview.

There's another thread for this campus that doesn't seem to get too much attention but might be a little helpful. The NYITCOM-Jonesboro facilities are on the Arkansas State University campus, and everything is very modern and new. A lot of the classes are via teleconferencing from the NY location, but there are professors in the classrooms to answer questions. I was pretty impressed when I toured during my interview.
I'll look into that thread! So the lectures are live streamed from the NY campus? Interesting. Also, how was the interview day like and the actual interview for you?

I'll look into that thread! So the lectures are live streamed from the NY campus? Interesting. Also, how was the interview day like and the actual interview for you?
Very relaxed interview with a very small group of people. Very friendly faculty/staff and laid-back conversational MMIs. The school definitely made a good impression! The day was a pretty typical interview day with some short presentations, tours of the school, interviews, tour of the campus, then lunch.

Hey guys so I had to wait for my last MCAT score and am planning to submit my secondary in October. Do you think that is too late or do I still have a decent shot for something? 3.73 GPA and 502 MCAT

Hey guys so I had to wait for my last MCAT score and am planning to submit my secondary in October. Do you think that is too late or do I still have a decent shot for something? 3.73 GPA and 502 MCAT

I think you should give it a try! I get mine back next week, then everything will be complete, finally :)

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you @Pepper26 so much! I really needed that type of encouragement :) Good luck with your applications!

Interviews are live streamed mainly from New York currently to the Arkansas campus. Some of the lectures are held on the Arkansas campus though and as the faculty at the Arkansas campus gets more settled, the ratio is expected to be closer to 50/50. The curriculum for Arkansas campus and New York campus are the same except there is only lecture based learning at the Arkansas campus currently.

Very relaxed interview with a very small group of people. Very friendly faculty/staff and laid-back conversational MMIs. The school definitely made a good impression! The day was a pretty typical interview day with some short presentations, tours of the school, interviews, tour of the campus, then lunch.

I thought the NY campus had one-on-one interviews. Or is it only that Arkansas has MMI?

I have an interview for the NY campus on Friday and was preparing for a one-on-one interview

+pissed+ No word yet apart from complete

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the NY campus had one-on-one interviews. Or is it only that Arkansas has MMI?

I have an interview for the NY campus on Friday and was preparing for a one-on-one interview
Well there were two one-on-one interviews, so I don't really know if that's classified as MMI or not haha.

I posted in 9/20 and still haven't heard back. Is it a good idea to send them an email regarding my status? The last I heard from them was that they received my payment and that my application is complete

a bit late, but I'm joining the party here! Recently submitted and received a confirmation email of the secondary and payment :banana:

Did anyone call and ask what the status is on their app?

Has anyone been accepted? If so, how long do they give you to submit the deposit?

Good luck everybody!!

I posted in 9/20 and still haven't heard back. Is it a good idea to send them an email regarding my status? The last I heard from them was that they received my payment and that my application is complete

Did anyone call and ask what the status is on their app?

They don't do application statuses through email or phone, but I did call the Ar campus to inquire if there was a separate application for both campuses (I wanted to make sure that I was considered for both). Not sure if anyone had this question, but... you are considered for both campuses on the secondary, but your preference is noted. So it sounds like if you don't have a strong preference, you may receive a II earlier for one campus over the other? Having this changed does not remove you from consideration from the other campus.

Also she kindly explained to me that if we do not receive any notice by February than the chances of a II may not be likely. And if after the II, if have not received any notice by April, an acceptance is not likely...but maybe waitlist?

She was very nice and patient :happy:.

Did anyone ever get a complete email here? All I got was the "secondary and payment received email"

They don't do application statuses through email or phone, but I did call the Ar campus to inquire if there was a separate application for both campuses (I wanted to make sure that I was considered for both). Not sure if anyone had this question, but... you are considered for both campuses on the secondary, but your preference is noted. So it sounds like if you don't have a strong preference, you may receive a II earlier for one campus over the other? Having this changed does not remove you from consideration from the other campus.

Also she kindly explained to me that if we do not receive any notice by February than the chances of a II may not be likely. And if after the II, if have not received any notice by April, an acceptance is not likely...but maybe waitlist?

She was very nice and patient :happy:.
You think it may be worth it to call and update saying I had no preference

Did anyone ever get a complete email here? All I got was the "secondary and payment received email"
That's the last I have ever heard from them. I emailed them and asked what the status is for my application (submitted 9/22) and they told me they can't give a status for specific applications. They said that they will let me know if there is something missing via email. I have heard anything yet, so I'm assuming that I am in review.

II today! first one of the cycle :banana:

Congratulations on the IIs! Just wondering, when were you guys complete ( if you ever received a complete email that is LOL)

Can anyone who's had an interview at the NY campus talk about their experience (questions asked, what they thought about the school?)

Does anyone know if this school has recorded lectures/mandatory classes?

Congratulations on the IIs! Just wondering, when were you guys complete ( if you ever received a complete email that is LOL)

No complete email. Just an email stating my secondary application was complete and payment went through.

Anyone that got an II today call and find out what days they have available? Got an II but couldn't call today.

Thinking about just going if I can schedule it when I am home from school over winter break (live in nj but only two hours from NYIT). I was going to go only if the time was right and just to entertain myself to make sure I didn't overlook anything. ROWAN is by far my top choice but I feel like I would be missing something if I didn't take advantage to just go and look.

Thinking about just going if I can schedule it when I am home from school over winter break (live in nj but only two hours from NYIT). I was going to go only if the time was right and just to entertain myself to make sure I didn't overlook anything. ROWAN is by far my top choice but I feel like I would be missing something if I didn't take advantage to just go and look.

Definitely. I would choose Rowan in a heartbeat too. No mandatory attendance with recorded lectures is huge for me.

I heard NYIT has mandatory attendance even though only some go, but apparently they don't really keep track.

Definitely. I would choose Rowan in a heartbeat too. No mandatory attendance with recorded lectures is huge for me.

I heard NYIT has mandatory attendance even though only some go, but apparently they don't really keep track.

Have you heard from/applied to ROWAN? Sorry if you posted on that thread, so many people post things

Anyone that got an II today call and find out what days they have available? Got an II but couldn't call today.

The earliest spot when I called was the last week of November :(. Hope that's not too late since many acceptances have gone out. They some some DO schools fill class be December.

The earliest spot when I called was the last week of November :(. Hope that's not too late since many acceptances have gone out. They some some DO schools fill class be December.
I spoke to them and they offered me dates of October 20th and October 25th...

Submitted secondary on 10/5. 3.75 cGPA, 3.62 sGPA, 503 MCAT. Any chance I'll get an II here?

I spoke to them and they offered me dates of October 20th and October 25th...

Quite possible because yesterday was the first round of MD acceptances. So people who got in will withdraw.

Interviewed at the NY campus yesterday. Overall the day was very relaxed and went well! I was definitely impressed. Interview was a one-on-one with a list of specific questions they have to ask and then they open it up for your questions. Pretty much all the questions they asked me were listed on SDN: why NYIT, explain osteopathic, greatest achievement, time you failed, ect. No ethics questions or anything about health care. During the information session they explained more about the DPC learning track, which seems really awesome! They had a mini practice round of the DPC type learning so we could experience it, definitely a fun part of the day. My only complaint was the student tours were a bit rushed, they only give you 10 minutes to eat and then you only have about 45 minutes for the tours and to ask the students questions. It felt like we were running around a bit, but we did manage to see all critical aspects of the school so it wasn't a huge deal. The campus is very beautiful!

Also, we met up with the dean on the tour and he mentioned that if any of us had been wearing a blood red tie it would have been an automatic acceptance from him...so consider a red tie I guess! And if you need any directions, stand by the campus map outside of the health care building - every time I got close to that map a person appeared within seconds asking if I needed help, its magical.

Decisions are sent out 6-8 weeks after (by snail mail :eyebrow:)..time for the waiting game!

Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed at the NY campus yesterday. Overall the day was very relaxed and went well! I was definitely impressed. Interview was a one-on-one with a list of specific questions they have to ask and then they open it up for your questions. Pretty much all the questions they asked me were listed on SDN: why NYIT, explain osteopathic, greatest achievement, time you failed, ect. No ethics questions or anything about health care. During the information session they explained more about the DPC learning track, which seems really awesome! They had a mini practice round of the DPC type learning so we could experience it, definitely a fun part of the day. My only complaint was the student tours were a bit rushed, they only give you 10 minutes to eat and then you only have about 45 minutes for the tours and to ask the students questions. It felt like we were running around a bit, but we did manage to see all critical aspects of the school so it wasn't a huge deal. The campus is very beautiful!

Also, we met up with the dean on the tour and he mentioned that if any of us had been wearing a blood red tie it would have been an automatic acceptance from him...so consider a red tie I guess! And if you need any directions, stand by the campus map outside of the health care building - every time I got close to that map a person appeared within seconds asking if I needed help, its magical.

Decisions are sent out 6-8 weeks after (by snail mail :eyebrow:)..time for the waiting game!
How long did it take from secondary complete to II?

I never received a complete email, but I sent in my secondary on 9/6 and got the II 9/19

Hmmm its been 14 days since I completed, maybe I'll call. Your stats are much better than mine so its reasonable for it to take a few more weeks as well

Hmmm its been 14 days since I completed, maybe I'll call. Your stats are much better than mine so its reasonable for it to take a few more weeks as well

Are you going to call about your app status as in whether they have everything or not? Or why you don't have an interview yet? Some people have been complete since July and August and haven't heard back yet.

Are you going to call about your app status as in whether they have everything or not? Or why you don't have an interview yet? Some people have been complete since July and August and haven't heard back yet.

Probably just call to see if they have all my stuff. Lack of a status check is a killer

Definitely doesn't hurt to call, the admissions office is really nice! They focus more on ECs here, from what I have heard, so don't worry as much about stats. I am sure you will hear back any day now! :)

II just now to Arkansas campus. Complete 7/21. They were probably waiting for my Sep MCAT scores. OOS. Will probably decline since I already have an acceptance.