New York Medical College Traditional Masters 2012-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NonTraditional3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided to make this thread, since the others are older with low activity. Essentially, bumping via a new thread with more relevance to the programs at NYMC now versus a few years ago. For discussing housing, classes, study groups, etc.

Is anyone up for an SDN get-together during orientation? For those who haven't seen yet, the website was updated, and orientation is on 8/15, with classes starting on 8/20.

I was accepted for 2011-2013, but I needed to defer, so I'm really excited about getting started in a few weeks!

Members don't see this ad.

how do you register for classes? Do we have any options this first semester or do we all take the same ones for traditional MS. I don't want to have to go up there to register in person if I don't have to. The email they sent me just gave me a list of dates but was not very useful in explaining exactly what I am supposed to be taking and how to register for it. thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
how do you register for classes? Do we have any options this first semester or do we all take the same ones for traditional MS. I don't want to have to go up there to register in person if I don't have to. The email they sent me just gave me a list of dates but was not very useful in explaining exactly what I am supposed to be taking and how to register for it. thanks.

Applefan: are you accelerated or two year? If the latter, which MS program?

2 year- basic medical science

You register for General Biochemistry I and Mammalian Physiology I for the first semester. It's mail in registration until August 3rd I think. If you are doing financial aid, you need to file that paperwork first. Info for that is on the website, with great detail, so check it out for sure.

ok thanks, I'm not sure why they did not make this information more accessible.

ok thanks, I'm not sure why they did not make this information more accessible.

You should have received an email from admissions when you accepted their offer of admission, about procedures and policies....if you haven't received it yet, I'd call the admissions office:

Valerie is so wonderful; she truly makes her self of avail, especially, it seems, to the new bright eyed and bushy tailed matriculants.

I'm super-excited about this program - just need to find a place to live, lol.

Here's the link: don't bother emailing, just call :)

http://www.nymc.edu/Academics/SchoolOfBasicMedicalSciences/Admissions/ContactUs.html

I know we are the only two people on this here thread, but I think it'd be tight after like the first few weeks of class have passed, while the weather is tolerable, might be fun to do an SDN/NYMC shindig, get a crowd, maybe try and get some money from student financial planning to fund it. Could be something really great; beers and bowling, a champagne lunch, some of the Westchester variety, you know, before the difficult material really starts rolling in.
Just a thought - too spice up orientation; I'm most of it is lectures and policies anyway.

Something I'd like to do, is to work with GSA, to get something going where statistics for MS students successfully matriculating to medical school share with the GSA where they're going; can also be do Be for dental, DO, PA, PhD programs, Veterinary, etc. If it should come to pass, ad this becomes reality, it would be good to have that kind of information available to both us as well as for prospective students.

PM me your number dude

Ill be going to the campus on the Monday during registration week to do everything since there was a ton of stuff listed such as having to sign for the financial aid after you register for classes, get ID, etc.

Ill be going to the campus on the Monday during registration week to do everything since there was a ton of stuff listed such as having to sign for the financial aid after you register for classes, get ID, etc.

Hey man, me too - what time you headed that way? Morning or afternoon?

Think Im going try best effort to get there early in the morning hopefully avoiding what craziness there may be but depends how the commute goes coming from 2.5 hours away through rush hour.

Hi, I'm joining the class as well. I've heard that not many people from this program get into medical school. Do you know any stats on this? It's from reliable sources which is why I was surprised.

Are you both commuting or dorming/living nearby? I think the social function idea is a great one and I'm in!

Hi, I'm joining the class as well. I've heard that not many people from this program get into medical school. Do you know any stats on this? It's from reliable sources which is why I was surprised.

Are you both commuting or dorming/living nearby? I think the social function idea is a great one and I'm in!

StudentMember, what are your reliable sources? Would they be reliable to someone on SDN, or is this a person/persons in particular with whom you are close (professor, adcom, etc....)

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually got on campus hosuing so Im doing that.

Dr. Lerea had 2 students contact and answer any questions I had as well be available if I needed any assistance next year. These two students graduated from the 2 year traditional and said a good portion of their graduating class got into medical school either after 1 year or two years in the program as some chose not to finish the full two years.

i actually got on campus hosuing so im doing that.

Dr. Lerea had 2 students contact and answer any questions i had as well be available if i needed any assistance next year. These two students graduated from the 2 year traditional and said a good portion of their graduating class got into medical school either after 1 year or two years in the program as some chose not to finish the full two years.

+1

I meant two students currently in the program. Interesting that someone else had an entirely different experience with current students.

There is now a facebook group for masters at GSBMS at NYMC:

Search facebook the group "GSBMS Traditional Master's Students"

Upon further contemplation I think that the students who said only few get in didn't realize that most don't even apply to med school and that 30% for these masters programs is actually very very good

Thanks, I was unable to find this group though - is it private perhaps?

About the orientation meet up - sounds great! How about after orientation ends at 5pm on 8/17?

Is someone in the MS in Physiology program? I would like to as some question about the program.. thanks!

Bump.

Any input from someone that has completed this program would be appreciated. I'm thinking about applying.