New York University Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey folks, I also have recently been accepted to NYU's occupational therapy program!! I'm looking forward to having classes with you all. Its the college I've always wanted to go to but to be honest, the price does scare me a bit. I'll be looking at paying off loans for the next 25 years but neither the less, i'm very excited to be starting in the fall.

Congrats on your acceptance!! the price terrifies me also. I feel like I'm going to have to take out well over 100,000 just to finance my educAtion and living. So trust me! Your not alone! Lol Congrats again!!! Where are you coming from??

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks! I'm originally from nyc, so i've lived in the city all my life. I attended Brooklyn College for my undergrad and had an awful experience there. There was no student life whatsoever, classrooms were full of students who weren't very friendly and didn't care to be in college. One of the reasons i'll be attending NYU is because I love how there's so much culture and diversity within the school. I'm looking forward to a real college experience when I start there. NYU Rusk is also a well respected hospital known for rehabilitation so i'm hoping to get a lot out of this prorram regardless of the costs.

Members don't see this ad :)

I called financial aid today. The suspense was driving me crazy. They said graduate financial aid letters will be sent out in April and I should hear before I have to accept/decline admission.

oh man =(

I called financial aid today. The suspense was driving me crazy. They said graduate financial aid letters will be sent out in April and I should hear before I have to accept/decline admission.

oh man =(
Thanks OTisREHABulous!

That's really helpful! I'm going either way, but I really want to know if I was granted any aid or scholarships. So wait, they're mailing them? I keep logging into the NYU site to check...maybe they're doing both? When is your deadline to say if you're attending or not? Because I feel like it should be soon, right?

Thanks OTisREHABulous!

That's really helpful! I'm going either way, but I really want to know if I was granted any aid or scholarships. So wait, they're mailing them? I keep logging into the NYU site to check...maybe they're doing both? When is your deadline to say if you're attending or not? Because I feel like it should be soon, right?

The deadline is April 18..

Thanks OTisREHABulous!

April 15th is my deadline. =/

Honestly, I may as well just pay my down payment. I mean im going to be in debt anyway. From what I hear..they don't really give much aid.

Hey all!

The financial aid suspense was driving me insane also! But, yesterday I got an e-mail from the Financial Aid office to go check my Albert. So, it has my financial aid up...which is really lame by the way. I don't know what else I was expecting. I'm not sure what kind of aid you guys will be getting, but hopefully it's better than mine! Mine was listed as:

Work Study
Unsubsidized loan
Graduate PLUS loan

If you guys are hoping for a lot of grants and scholarships, I'm not sure that a school like NYU would automatically provide that (I know I received a lot during my Undergrad without having to apply outside of the school/FAFSA).
Also, I already deposited my $500 to the school before getting my financial aid package, because I knew I wasn't going to go anywhere else after I got into NYU. So, I don't know if a lot of you are waiting for financial aid and still haven't paid the deposit.....(Do you think it matters to them if you've already paid the deposit or not? Seems silly if they would do that. I have no idea....)

Anyway, just letting you all know that the financial aid office is getting around to it! Hopefully your guys' comes in soon! Oh, also...I called them a while ago wondering when they would have my financial package up, and they also said early to mid April. But, mine is already up! So, expect yours soon!!

I've recently heard back on fin. aid as well. Are you guys planning on accepting the work study?

I've recently heard back on fin. aid as well. Are you guys planning on accepting the work study?
Yeah I just got my aid as well and was wondering the same thing. How will I have time, let alone find a job that will only let me work nights and weekends? And will I even have time or energy? It might be worth it for extra "spending money", since you aren't required to pay anything back on it, but is it even worth it?

How do I calculate the exact tuition cost for NYU?
And does financial aid cover summer as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been accepted to NYU that had been on the waiting list? It seems there are a lot of people that were accepted and I am curious as to how quickly they notify the program that they are not going to attend. At that point, how soon is the turn around time for the people on the list?

I was also wondering if anyone saw this: http://www.nyu.edu/admissions/financial-aid-and-scholarships/federal-direct-loans.html

I really hope I'm misreading it but it has to do with subsidized vs. unsubsidized loans and the difference being when you start accruing interest. Apparently, new legislation was just passed that make grad students ineligible for subsidized loans, and we therefore start accruing interest the day we take out the loan. Can someone comment or clarify? Are we just going to start racking up debt the second we start school and be in over our heads? Ughhh!

Yes, subsidized loans (beginning this summer) are only for undergrads, not grad students. Interest will begin accruing immediately on loans for grad students (although you won't begin paying your loans/interest until six months after you graduate).

Yes, subsidized loans (beginning this summer) are only for undergrads, not grad students. Interest will begin accruing immediately on loans for grad students (although you won't begin paying your loans/interest until six months after you graduate).
When did this change take place and why? I'm curious if my original loan calculations will still hold up in the face of this or if this wasn't even taken into consideration...

The elimination of subsidized loans takes place for ALL incoming grad students effective this summer. No grandfathering, unfortunately, so yes, all incoming grad students will only be offered unsubsidized loans in their financial aid packages (subsidized federal loans no longer exist for grad students, courtesy of cost-cutting measures in Congress). This year's incoming grad class will be the first class to be affected by this new ruling. The timing stinks. The elimination of subsidized loans for grad students was put in place by Congress as a "deficit reducing" measure. Money for higher education has been hit hard in this economy. Pell Grants for undergrads may be the next thing to be reduced.....

Last edited:
The elimination of subsidized loans takes place for ALL incoming grad students effective this summer. No grandfathering, unfortunately, so yes, all incoming grad students will only be offered unsubsidized loans in their financial aid packages (subsidized federal loans no longer exist for grad students, courtesy of cost-cutting measures in Congress). This year's incoming grad class will be the first class to be affected by this new ruling. The timing stinks. The elimination of subsidized loans for grad students was put in place by Congress as a "deficit reducing" measure. Money for higher education has been hit hard in this economy. Pell Grants for undergrads may be the next thing to be reduced.....
Not to sound daft, but can you break it down for me? Perhaps compare and contrast what a loan would have looked like before this passed and now after, even if you use a figure like $100 or something simple? I'm trying to get a handle on if the calculator I used in early March already took this into account...

Flip-Flops: Go to this website for a short video on how to calculate interest on subsidized loans versus unsubsidized loans: www.rasmussen.edu/subsidized-vs-unsubsidized-student-loans/ This website explains it better than I can. I would call the financial aid office at NYU and ask them directly if the way that you calculated the loan/interest in March is still valid. Good luck! There is too much money at stake not to have a clear answer right out of the horse's mouth. :)

Also, remember that this is just for FEDERAL student loans. Private loans (or institutional loans) may still be subsidized.

Last edited:
Flip-Flops: Go to this website for a short video on how to calculate interest on subsidized loans versus unsubsidized loans: www.rasmussen.edu/subsidized-vs-unsubsidized-student-loans/ This website explains it better than I can. I would call the financial aid office at NYU and ask them directly if the way that you calculated the loan/interest in March is still valid. Good luck! There is too much money at stake not to have a clear answer right out of the horse's mouth. :)

Also, remember that this is just for FEDERAL student loans. Private loans (or institutional loans) may still be subsidized.
Thank you so much, Lifeisgreat!

I will definitely be checking that out (when I've had some sleep) and will call the Financial Aid Office tomorrow!

Should I assume you will be attending NYU as well?

Hi FlipFlops! No, I will be attending Wash U at St. Louis (although NYU sounds like a blast)! Wash U gave me a really good deal (merit scholarship and grad assistantship) that I just couldn't turn down. I should be able to graduate with total loans under $48,000 which was a pretty big consideration for me. I'll be eating bread, Ramen, and peanut butter for a few years, but I'm used to that :) There is this GREAT pizza place called Pi around the corner from the med school that I'll have to fit in my budget somehow.....

Last edited:
Hi FlipFlops! No, I will be attending Wash U at St. Louis (although NYU sounds like a blast)! Wash U gave me a really good deal (merit scholarship and grad assistantship) that I just couldn't turn down. I should be able to graduate with total loans under $48,000 which was a pretty big consideration for me. I'll be eating bread, Ramen, and peanut butter for a few years, but I'm used to that :) There is this GREAT pizza place called Pi around the corner from the med school that I'll have to fit in my budget somehow.....
Well, we will definitely miss you! But it sounds like you got yourself a WOW deal! Congrats! The loan thing is huge too! And thanks again for the help! =)

Hey Guys,

In reference to financial aid.
Has everyone heard back from financial aid? Because I haven't and I'm starting to get a little antsy. I know they said the beginning of April..but, from what I hear, most students have heard back already.

Did everyone apply by the February 1st deadline for financial aid? I didn't realize this deadline and I applied a little late. In my opinion, this shouldn't make a huge difference. It's not like I applied a month or so late but rather, a week or two late.

When I log into my NYU Home account my financial aid year says "2013"..which confuses me because i applied for aid in the 2012-2013 school year.

This was wandering through my head as I was trying to get to sleep. I fully intend on calling the office tomorrow. But, I think I need some feedback beforehand..so I can appease myself..and get some darn sleep!:sleep:

Hey Guys,

In reference to financial aid.
Has everyone heard back from financial aid? Because I haven't and I'm starting to get a little antsy. I know they said the beginning of April..but, from what I hear, most students have heard back already.

Did everyone apply by the February 1st deadline for financial aid? I didn't realize this deadline and I applied a little late. In my opinion, this shouldn't make a huge difference. It's not like I applied a month or so late but rather, a week or two late.

When I log into my NYU Home account my financial aid year says "2013"..which confuses me because i applied for aid in the 2012-2013 school year.

This was wandering through my head as I was trying to get to sleep. I fully intend on calling the office tomorrow. But, I think I need some feedback beforehand..so I can appease myself..and get some darn sleep!:sleep:
It should say 2012-2013

Hello everyone! I am loving this thread! I will be applying to the NYU OT program in the fall and was wondering if you guys wouldnt mind sharing your stats!! I am flipping out about getting in anywhere, NYU is my dream school! Thank you so much :)

I have finally decided to attend NYU for fall. I am both excited and nervous!

Congratulations to everyone that got accepted! Would you all mind telling me your stats? Applying for 2013 admission and I just want to see how a stack up. Thanks!

Did anyone receive the email today from NYU that they over accepted students and are now asking individuals to either withdraw (with $500 tuition deposit reimbursement) or to postpone admittance to Fa 2013 with an extra $10k in scholarship? I'm wondering what some of you are thinking. I would love to have an extra $10k added to my scholarship as part of fin aid package but I'm in my mid-30s and don't think i can wait around another yr.

Did anyone receive the email today from NYU that they over accepted students and are now asking individuals to either withdraw (with $500 tuition deposit reimbursement) or to postpone admittance to Fa 2013 with an extra $10k in scholarship? I'm wondering what some of you are thinking. I would love to have an extra $10k added to my scholarship as part of fin aid package but I'm in my mid-30s and don't think i can wait around another yr.
Wow- that is crazy that they would do that! Sounds pretty disorganized and so unfair for many people.
For those accepted this year and future 1st time applicants. Because if you think about it- let's say they over accepted 15 students and those 15 say "Ok we'll go Fall 2013" it means that 1- they have to do something else for that year (good and bad) and 2- people applying for fall 2013 (1st time applicants) have an even smaller chance of getting in because it would mean only 15 spots are left instead of the initial 30 (just taking numbers for example- not sure of the actual cohort size).

And what if no one wants the 10K and want to go 2012? Are they going to take back acceptances?

Good luck! I would probably say ok for 2013 because I'd be afraid to be one of those who might get their acceptance taken back (I am just speculating but not sure what their plan is). You could work for that whole year, save money and pay 10K less in 2013.

Hey all!

I am an undergrad senior applying to NYU's OT program next year. I was hoping some of you may be open to sharing your stats and or other advice for increasing my chances at being accepted. GPA, prerequisites, letters of req. and volunteer hours are all on my mind, is there any other activities you may suggest?

Any information will be helpful! Thanks.

Hi Hecohen,

I wasn't accepted to NYU's program, but I have attended their info session a few months ago. I remember them EMPHASIZING how important it was for students to have a well rounded background in regards to experiences. So try to have observation or volunteer hours with different populations like peds, geriatrics, mental health, etc etc. They don't require observation hours, but they definitely still expect to see some on your application.

I hope that helps!