New York written and compounding exam (wet lab)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

provigil

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are the materials required to prepare for the written and compounding exam for New York state.?

websites, resources, books to review, syllabus any information anyone has would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

provigil said:
what are the materials required to prepare for the written and compounding exam for New York state.?

websites, resources, books to review, syllabus any information anyone has would be helpful.

I have something that i can email to you. It isnt much but some slides from one of my classes. The info about the exam is towards the end. Im guessing you are not a student in NY?

provigil said:

SUNY Buffalo offers very good wet lab/law/written review session each year in May. I didnt get any books for my wet lab (last year's exam), but went to the review sessions and studied the materials provided and also my old notes...and i did pretty good.
call the school and find out more about the 2006 review session,

Thank you for replying. Could you please e-mail me in the inbox of SDN the slides you have.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you could email me the slide too would be helpful. i am taking the review at albany. i am kind of nervous about the wet lab. i heard that the IV part is critical.

dontworry::::::::
hi! i was wondering if you could e-mail me the slides as well...i m taking my compounding this Jan*

SUNY Buffalo offers very good wet lab/law/written review session each year in May. I didnt get any books for my wet lab (last year's exam), but went to the review sessions and studied the materials provided and also my old notes...and i did pretty good.
call the school and find out more about the 2006 review session,

Please please please send me some contact info too. I am out of NYS and in need of any information. Will probably be taking this exam in may of 09. However, I am currently doing a compounding rotation and it will end shortly!!!!

if you could email me the slide too would be helpful. i am taking the review at albany. i am kind of nervous about the wet lab. i heard that the IV part is critical.

IV is critical. they WILL try to trip you up, too.
keep a level head, and just pretend you are at work and that it's just another day.
(i was an albany student, and took it in my "home" lab. that helped)

contact your inpatient pharmacist preceptors. at my hospitals, we let students come back prior to the exam and spend a day in the IV room to refresh their skills. see if you can do that somewhere.

IV is critical. they WILL try to trip you up, too.
keep a level head, and just pretend you are at work and that it's just another day.
(i was an albany student, and took it in my "home" lab. that helped)

contact your inpatient pharmacist preceptors. at my hospitals, we let students come back prior to the exam and spend a day in the IV room to refresh their skills. see if you can do that somewhere.

this is what i hear too, especially from people who don't have hospital jobs. from what i hear, the exam in may your products are most likely to be an IV, capsule and something else, usually a cream/ointment.

the jan exam i hear sometimes they change it up and you are not guarenteed to do a capsule.

As someone else said UB offers a board review series in the spring that hits all 3 parts of the NYS board review

I am studying outside of NYS and my curriculum does not place much emphasis on compounding. If you could email me as well, I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks :)

I am planning on taking the NY boards this winter and I was hoping someone could email me the document as well...Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hi, i'm also preparing to take the compounding this january.. i've taken the review course at my school and reviewing look alike/sound alike drugs.. any advice would be appreciated

Hi! I am taking the NY compounding exam and I have a question that I am hoping someone will help me with. Many of the practice exams have ointment prescriptions that have LCD 5% listed as an ingredient for a 50 gram ointment. Does this mean that the final product is 5% (w/w) or 5% (v/w)? Thanks so much!

Provigil, I believe all ointments are given in strengths of w/w and LCD is a latin term, cant remember what it means but ive only seen it dealing with liquid coal tar in preparing coal tar ointments. Ive never seen v/w % do you mean w/v? To answer your question ointments are calculated using w/w and I believe the standard for LCD is 20%. So for a 5% ointment that would be 5% of 50 grams of solid drug and then converting that to a 20% liquid solution, so the final product would have 12.5 grams of LCD.

thanks coolbreeze! LCD is a liquid. I was just confused b/c it could be interpreted in 2 ways. One, as being 5 g/100 g and then u would use the specific gravity to convert to ml so that it could be measured. It could also be interpreted as being 5 ml/100 g, for which you would calculate the grams so that you can figure out how much base to use.

pharmed2016- you can take apply for a license in another state and after a year, the license can be reciprocated for a nys license as well. of course, you'll have to maintain the license in the original state.

pharmed2016- you can take apply for a license in another state and after a year, the license can be reciprocated for a nys license as well. of course, you'll have to maintain the license in the original state.

Thanks, just asked a pharmacy fellow that I work with and he told me all about NYS law concerning licensure.

the key is, one full year, to the date. They will not let you do it any sooner.

i'm curious to know if people usually get the results before the 6-8 wks as per exam papers. how did everyone think they did? i messed up, made stupid mistakes :(

I have something that i can email to you. It isnt much but some slides from one of my classes. The info about the exam is towards the end. Im guessing you are not a student in NY?
Could you please email me any material you have about compounding exam in New York state....:) I will really appreciate it!!! [email protected]
And may be somebody else have something....

hey.. im planning on taking the web lab June 2009 and was wondering if someone can email me these slides/notes that are going around... email me at: [email protected]..
thanks sooo much..
also you guys were talking about reciproicating your license... does that mean that if i want to transfer my license to New York after a year working else where i do NOT need to take the compounding exam as it is waived and i only need to take the law (MPJE)? thanks!

Can you also email me the slides you were speaking of to my SDN inbox? Is there a book you guys can recommend? How detailed are the calculations? Does anyone know of sample questions that I can practice with? I'm from out of state and I don't know how I can practice the wet lab portion. Any recommendations would be helpful. Also, any info on the MPJE would be helpful too.

Can you also email me the slides you were speaking of to my SDN inbox? Is there a book you guys can recommend? How detailed are the calculations? Does anyone know of sample questions that I can practice with? I'm from out of state and I don't know how I can practice the wet lab portion. Any recommendations would be helpful. Also, any info on the MPJE would be helpful too.
how long have you been a pharmacist? Greater then 1 year? You get reciprocity and don't have to worry about it.

If not UB offers a crash course that residents have taken and passed the exam as a result.

Does anyone have a link for the pharmacy review at Albany? I thought I saw it somewhere here but I can't find it anymore.

We would call it Liquor Picis Carb (Coal Tar solution) in the UK. Regarded as a carcinogen and has to be compounded in specially licenced labs.

Could you please email me the slides and notes that you probably received for compounding exam also? I would really appreciate!

I was wondering if someone could please email me the notes from their compounding class. I would really appreciate it

Hi, I was wondering if you had any compounding exam study material that you could email me. Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm so far away from graduating right now, but I'm wondering if it's worth going back to NY when I'm done. Not because of this exam (even though I'm sure it's fun as all get out), but because of the state's horrible economic plight and ridiculous taxes. Most of my family and friends live there, I lived there all of my life until moving out of state for pharm school, so I have good reasons for it. But on the other hand, no state income tax in CT...

I'm just kind of hoping they work out the economy there in the 4 years I'll be away. In the same vein, I'm hoping someone deposits 5 million USD in my bank account, and that I wake up tomorrow at 8% body fat with 200 lbs of lean muscle.

Hello Quiksilver...you seem knowledge pharmacy. Could I have your advices to lciensure exam? Many thanks.
why yes, why don't I help you on an exam so that you can pass and compete with me in an already diminshed job market? I love the extra competition

I have all the notes from a NYS review class (law and compounding). They will go to the highest bidder!

Just kidding, but not really!
I'm legitimately taking the course right now. So far so good, I think it should help.

Its scary how many free loaders there are.

I'm legitimately taking the course right now. So far so good, I think it should help.

Its scary how many free loaders there are.

The biggest help of the class was the practice web lab aspect, I'm glad I took it. But yeah, I can't believe the number of people who just want copies of the notes, that stuff wasn't cheap!