Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Newbie, experience related question

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by PixyStix, 05.25.12.

1. Thanks to Crack the PCAT
  1. PixyStix

PixyStix

Non-Student

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hi there,
    Total newbie here but I am just trying to plan ahead, so if this topic has been addressed, please direct me to that thread (tried looking around already).
    I have a B.S and M.S (with research/ thesis) in Chemistry from Purdue University and I am currently working on taking my PCAT. I have non-clinical volunteer (psychology outpatient) experience and that's it. No pharmacy experience. I have been working as a Scientist at a very large Pharmaceutical company for the past 3 years in the pre-clinical department doing structure based drug design. I am super outgoing and interview really well if that helps :)
    I was wondering if, and how much retail pharmacy experience I'd need given my background. It's hard to go do that right now given my very long work hours :( but I could do it on the weekends if it's feasible. Also, I was thinking if I do well in the PCAT, I can quit my job and do retail but it would be a HUGE pay cut haha (my husband is a post-doc so money is somewhat of a concern in our family).
    Please let me know what your opinions are.
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited: 05.25.12
  2. kcwang

kcwang

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Your research at pharmaceutical company is a pharmacy related experience, and it is good that you are searching for a different setting. How much retail pharmacy experience you need? I would say as much you need to get a feel on how the retail setting works. As for pharm school application, the longer the better. I heard some people got into school with little pharmacy experiences, but having pharmacy related EC can help your application overall.

Also, you can look into shadowing pharmacist in clinics and hospitals at your local area!
  3. bw6

bw6

Pharmacy Student
    Kappa Psi
    I had no experience and got into plenty of schools. Score 75+ on the PCAT and you are fine with your other credentials
  4. kcwang

kcwang

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I know this person who score 99 on PCAT, didnt get into any pharmacy school. She's doing her master now. It is more about the package than a number.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal