Newbie Pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shortie09

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!:D

Just got licensed and eager to start working in a retail chain in the near future.

I have had work experience in the past in retail but as I am just starting out I would appreciate any advice regarding.. just being a new pharmacist starting out...

I realize it is going to be overwhelming at first but..Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. learn the system....from drop off to pick up. Why? cause you will be in a position where you will be by yourself and you will still have to get everything done.
2. if you work with a partner (or go solo), don't put them in a position you yourself wouldn't want to be put in. Communicate!
3. you will be treated as if you don't know anything with the techs by being a new grad. Get a notebook and any spare time you have LEARN how to do things. Because they may know the system, but they are not a Pharmacist.
4. Always keep your resume updated.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't do retail chain unless it's A) target pharmacy, B) grocery

Reactions: 1 users
eager to start working in a retail chain in the near future.
I would appreciate any advice regarding.. just being a new pharmacist starting out...
Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

You really know how to ask for advice. Great start. You will learn a lot with humble attitude and sincere appreciation attitude. Keep your attitude and don't become arrogant like a lot of newbie I have seen (and I did not share much because they simply did not have sincere attitude to learn, accept and adopt.)

As a new pharmacist, you will be in charge. But it's a fine line between having power and upsetting people.

If you work in corporate retail, remember to be polite and never rude. You can refuse to fill questionable scripts but never let patients complain that you are rude. Refuse with a friendly face and voice and if complaint goes higher up, your managers will NOT have reason to fault you. You were firm and polite. My high level manager told me that many patient's complain were handled wrongly at the store level: the stern voice, the harsh rude attitude of pharmacy members triggered patients to complain. For the same situation, if pharmacy members used firm and nice voice with compassion, very likely, the patient would not have complained to higher level. We are health care provider after all. Some people forgot that but let's remind each other once in a while.

About your technicians, they are intelligent and smart folks. They work next to gold (drugs are expensive) and most most of them don't steal. So, if they make a mistake, remember you are dealing with smart and trusted people, pick your words wisely, don't blurt out whatever you think because what you say will have witnesses and may come back to hurt you later.

Last edited:
Make sure your techs are your best friends. They can make your life great or they can make it hell.

Commit yourself to relentless optimism. There will be a lot of stress and a lot of negativity coming at you, but if you commit yourself to staying positive you can get through almost anything with your sanity intact. Almost anything.

Reactions: 1 user
don't go on spending spree and give away money like i did, if u have student loans. focus on saving money and paying off your loans first. since the future of retail pharmacists are very insecure. save as much u can before thinking of going on a wild spending. i must've given away or spent recklessly like $15,000. money i could use towards my loan.

don't go on spending spree and give away money like i did, if u have student loans. focus on saving money and paying off your loans first. since the future of retail pharmacists are very insecure. save as much u can before thinking of going on a wild spending. i must've given away or spent recklessly like $15,000. money i could use towards my loan.
What did you buy?

Don't do retail chain unless it's A) target pharmacy, B) grocery

C. Costco
D. Outpatient
E. Some independents

There are lots of tips I could give. Here are a couple more:

1. Always use a calculator and double-check math in the C2 book!
2. Keep an eye out for oddities: Like oxycontin being prescribed qid
3. Compare drugs against the profile. This is how you will catch a lot of errors

Whatever store you go into learn their system and (I'm assuming you will be working for a chain) do not step out of the system for anybody.

I'm an independent pharmacist but these rules pretty well work everywhere I've been.

If you make a mistake be honest. You will and you'll feel awful. Everybody does. Try to make adjustments so it doesn't happen again. Never
try to cover it up. The people I've seen get in trouble are people who have tried to lie and cover it up.

Learn the operations manual and stick by it for everybody. Let the employees know you're going to stick to the book
and if they employees step out don't be afraid to write them up. This way everybody is on the same page and there are no surprises.

Don't be afraid to learn. Keep an humble attitude. You will learn something new everyday.

DONT try to be friends with your employees. Treat them with respect but remember that you are the boss. If people feel like
you're their buddy they will try to take advantage of you. Don't approach employees with a task
and say "Can you do this" or "Do you care to do this". Say "Hey tom, go get the register" "Tina
get the telephone". Don't let them feel like they have a choice.

Pick and choose your battles. If you're a jerk nobody will work for you. If you're a pushover nobody will work for you because
nobody will respect you.

Don't be afraid to jump in and help your technicians. Learn how to do every job. You're never to good to count, type, interact with patients.
They'll respect you more and make your job easier.

Thank you SO much everyone for the kind advice! I really do appreciate it! Thank you!!

Good advice from everyone. Definitely, the #1 tip, but a notebook and take notes (whether in hospital or retail) Nothing ignores co-workers more than when someone repeatedly asks them the same thing. I do, and I'm sure most people do, start blowing people off when they keep asking the same thing. Make it your goal to only ask how to do something once (then write it down so you remember), if you get confused, its OK to ask a 2nd time, but anymore than that is pushing it.

JUST got hired with a popular grocery pharmacy down south! So nervous but really excited to start! Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice!:)