Newborn Nursery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogators3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any ideas for books/texts or review articles as prep for the newborn nursery? Starting out there in July and have had limited exposure, was looking for some basics! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly don't think you actually need a reference book for newborn nursery. This was by far my easiest month of intern year. You basically learn to perform a complete newborn exam and rock cute babies. We also got to attend deliveries so you get good at APGAR scoring. The only book I bought for intern year thus far (only a little over 1.5 months left!) was Zitelli. I used most of my book money for an iphone :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly don't think you actually need a reference book for newborn nursery. This was by far my easiest month of intern year.

Depends on your newborn nursery experience and set up - in my residency program it ends up being one of the busier months of intern year, while where I did medical school, it was a sleep in, leave early, maybe have vacation sort of month. So the differences can be extreme.

As for resources - get familiar with the bili nomogram, the indications for glucose testing (LGA, IDDM) and signs and symptoms of TTNB, polycythemia, and how to work up sepsis and congenital heart disease before calling cardiology. I don't think there's a single specific resource I'd recommend, but I would recommend approaching the month as a learning how to manage neonates if you were all by yourself in a rural town with no specialty help to lean on immediately.

BiliTool.org
-- (just don't forget to talk with a family about a bili-blanket/bili-lights, etc before ordering it...)

Good things to review:
-- care of the newborn (Pediatr. Rev. 2006;27;89-98)
-- breastfeeding essentials (Pediatr. Rev. 2006;27;409-417)
-- Back-to-Sleep (SIDS) guidelines (Pediatr. Rev. 2007;28;209-214)