Newer programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plecopotamus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two of the programs I interviewed at are on the newer side -- Cedars Sinai in Los Angeles, and Albert Einstein (now MSSM) Beth Israel in Manhattan. Both are small but seemed to have strong and enthusiastic faculty and good resources.

I interviewed at plenty of programs with established, strong reputations, but given the preferable (to me) location of these two, I'm really struggling with how to rank them, because I don't know that I fully understand the risks of going to a program that's so young. In particular, Beth Israel seemed comfortable and like it would have pretty good opportunities.

Can any residents chime in on issues they think are important to consider here? Also, how do people feel about 3 or 4 residents a year? These are far smaller than any other programs I applied to. Is it crazy to consider ranking the NYC Beth Israel program higher than someplace in the middle of my list like Jefferson? Vanderbilt?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I think it would be crazy but I'm not you. A couple thoughts: 1) reputation matters, regardless of whether that reputation is deserved, 2) senior people are inclined to like those who share their pedigree, 3) small residencies are less stress-tolerant when it comes to absences (sick, pregnant), 4) maybe none of this matters because you love the location and you just want to get trained and join a private practice, 5) new programs have less inertia and may be more flexible in adapting to residents' concerns, 6) faculty may be more invested in a new program because if they didn't care deeply they wouldn't have gone through the arduous process of setting up a residency, 7) new programs may not be used to having residents around, and the culture may not be immediately conducive to education.