Newman Projection to Fisher Projection?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NonTraditional3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you do this? Kaplan and TBR seem to conflict, so I'm hoping someone here can help me....

Also, Haworth of a ring to line-dash model of a cyclical sugar? What are the rules guidelines?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

a newman projection is an image taking into account only 2 carbon atoms and their substituents and the bond you are looking down in a newman projection doesn't have to be using chiral carbons, as with fischer projections you need an intersection for each chiral center. after you figure out the chiral centers, you find the absolute configuration for each center (for carbohydrates, R has the OH on the right, S has OH on left) and if the last chiral center's OH is on the right, it's a D sugar, on the left its an L sugar

a newman projection is an image taking into account only 2 carbon atoms and their substituents and the bond you are looking down in a newman projection doesn't have to be using chiral carbons, as with fischer projections you need an intersection for each chiral center. after you figure out the chiral centers, you find the absolute configuration for each center (for carbohydrates, R has the OH on the right, S has OH on left) and if the last chiral center's OH is on the right, it's a D sugar, on the left its an L sugar

Yes, but the carbons in the newman projection can be chiral....

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate the help, but I don't think you've answered my question...

bump?

i believe i did answer your question. you asked how to go from a newman projection to a fischer projection.

"a newman projection is an image taking into account only 2 carbon atoms (these carbons may or may not be chiral) and their substituents and the bond you are looking down in a newman projection doesn't have to be using chiral carbons, as with fischer projections you need an intersection for each chiral center. after you figure out the chiral centers, you find the absolute configuration for each center (for carbohydrates, R has the OH on the right, S has OH on left) and if the last chiral center's OH is on the right, it's a D sugar, on the left its an L sugar"

there is no easy way to go from newman to fischer like there is with fischer to hayworth. you need to figure out each chiral center from the newman which isn't displayed as chiral because you need to figure it out. you need to think of the structure of the molecule otherwise you won't keep the absolute configuration the same. in a fischer projection the horizontal lines are bold (coming at you) and the vertical lines are dashed (going away from you). if you follow these "rules" you will convert a newman to a fischer, just like the how i described in my first post and the copy and paste of the post above.

I made videos on going from Newman to line diagram and from line diagram to Fischer... maybe this helps.

Newman to line drawing:
Line drawing to Fischer:

Ohmygosh these videos were so helpful! Thank you so much for sharing!!