Next Ken Burns series: "The Emperor of All Maladies"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rph3664

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's inspired by the sprawling, Pulitzer Prize-winning book of the same name, and will debut later this month. It's about the history of cancer treatment.

Amazon product

The book is fantastic, and I can't wait to see it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I read the book back in 2010 and agree it was awesome.

And anything Ken Burns does is gold. I even watched all 14 hours of the Roosevelts.....

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When Dr. Mukherjee was interviewed on "Fresh Air", he told a story that expanded on the one about the 3-year-old boy who was one of the first ALL patients ever to get chemotherapy, which extended his life by a few months. He was one of the identical twins pictured with their mother in the photo section, and not long after the book came out, Dr. Mukherjee got a letter from the surviving twin ("I'm 70 years old and don't do that e-mail thing) stating that one of his friends called him up and said, "I'm reading this really interesting book, and I think there's a picture of you in it." All this man knew about his brother was that he had been pulled aside as a teenager by a distant relative, and told that he had a twin brother who died but he wasn't supposed to know about it. He was never told any more, and never asked any questions, either. This filled in a lot of holes for him.

In short, his parents were so grief-stricken, their way of coping was to try to forget this child ever existed. :( I wonder if he will be interviewed for this program.

Watched the program last night. After having read the book - I didn't think it was all that great. I mean it really broke down the mechanisms by which cancers arise, and went through the history of txs from the days of Farber, to radical surgeries, to radiation oncology, etc. But overall, I liked the book WAY better.

Nice though that they're breaking it down into this format to better inform and appeal to the population of non-readers.

Watched the program last night. After having read the book - I didn't think it was all that great. I mean it really broke down the mechanisms by which cancers arise, and went through the history of txs from the days of Farber, to radical surgeries, to radiation oncology, etc. But overall, I liked the book WAY better.

Nice though that they're breaking it down into this format to better inform and appeal to the population of non-readers.

I wa super excited to hear about the series because now I can get my copy back from my mother who has been "working on reading it" since I lent it to her in 2010.

Its a 3 part series no? I have them DVRd since I work evenings.