NFL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vandalia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
From Peter King's Monday Morning QB: http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/18/robert-kraft-patriots-owner-nfl-deflategate/2/

In the wake of the DEA’s surprise gameday inspections of three visiting NFL teams last November, there will be two league-wide changes for the 2015 season impacting how certain prescription drugs are dispensed and handled by clubs.

The first change is the creation of a visiting team medical liaison, an emergency physician from the local area certified to practice medicine and prescribe controlled substances in that state. The NFL and the NFL players union agreed on this new position during the scouting combine in February, according to Jeff Miller, the NFL’s senior vice president of healthy and safety policy. Secondly, the NFL Physicians Society decided that clubs will no longer store controlled substances at team facilities or stadiums.

In the past, if a player on a visiting team suffered an injury, such as an ACL tear, and needed to take a controlled substance, like narcotic pain medicine, the law required him to either be prescribed the medicine by the home-team physician or be admitted to a local emergency room. That job will now be done by the liaison, and the prescription will be filled at a nearby pharmacy. The liaison will also have admitting privileges to the closest trauma center, so he or she can facilitate the path if a player needs hospital care.

So it looks like there will be 32 new consulting gigs for EM physicians in NFL cities this fall.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how many emergency physicians could do this job the way it is described. I certainly don't have admitting privileges. It sounds like they want someone who can admit the players/do inpatient medicine too.

I am pretty sure they don't use the word "admit" in the technical sense of the word. I think they are looking for an arrangement with a hospital and the group with the EM contract so that if a player does require care in the ED, then the contract physician on--site would have the privileges to order the initial imaging/consults so all of that could be in place when the player shows up.

So it looks like there will be 32 new consulting gigs for EM physicians in NFL cities this fall.

Unfortunately these will likely be hard to come by. I know at the Colts stadium there's always an ER guy on the sidelines already to manage any emergent airway issues; I suspect most teams do this and that those will be the guys who'll move into that position.