NHSC Application 2016 is Officially Open!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how aid is continued on the next years. For example: if you wanted the award for 2 years how does you award continue on after the end of 1st year, it says on the guideline that award for next years is based on availability. Do we have to reapply for award continuation?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how aid is continued on the next years. For example: if you wanted the award for 2 years how does you award continue on after the end of 1st year, it says on the guideline that award for next years is based on availability. Do we have to reapply for award continuation?

When you get the contract you specify on there how many years you want the award for. Let's say you select for two years in the contract then you get the scholarship for two years. However, after those two years if you want another year then you have to reapply but I believe you get the first priority since you already are a scholar.

Reactions: 1 user

I'm not sure if they give you all the years initially, or if they award you one year at a time and re-evaluate at the end of the year. That's for sure a question I want to ask them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if they give you all the years initially, or if they award you one year at a time and re-evaluate at the end of the year. That's for sure a question I want to ask them.

If you read the contract you have to sign, you'll see that there are signature boxes for each year you requested. They will countersign those boxes. Then every year you have to get the academic good standing form signed by your school so you get the fund for that year. You only reapply if you want additional years on top of the years in your contract. Basically they want to know you are doing well in school (not failing) before they award you money for next year.

Reactions: 1 users
Any finalists get countersigned yet? The wait is agonizing (even though I know there probably isn't anything to worry about lol).

On a side note, how's everyone doing? I just had my whitecoat on Sunday and so it begins.

On a side note, how's everyone doing? I just had my whitecoat on Sunday and so it begins.

I've contemplated dropping out of school about 18 times in the past 24 hours and it's only day 2, so there's that.

Today was much better though. I'm sure everything will be fine!

I've contemplated dropping out of school about 18 times in the past 24 hours and it's only day 2, so there's that.

Today was much better though. I'm sure everything will be fine!

As a history major being surrounded by 23 year olds with biochemistry backgrounds, I feel like the 12 year old failing to get up the spiderweb at Discovery Zone while 6 year olds summit ahead of me.

As a history major being surrounded by 23 year olds with biochemistry backgrounds, I feel like the 12 year old failing to get up the spiderweb at Discovery Zone while 6 year olds summit ahead of me.

Hahah as a Communication major I feel your pain!

For the counter signatures, do we get an email notification or should I just continue to check the portal everyday constantly like a crazy person?

I believe we get an email, based on previous threads. But checking the portal like a crazy person is still the correct answer...

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone guide me to what is required to be turned in asap

You will need to get a verification of good standing form completed by a school official, complete a W4 form, and submit your bank routing information. Once those are turned in you will be given a contract to sign.

Hello,

I am freaking out, I received the finalist notification, sent in my required paperwork and my status went to Award Accepted Final Review. When I did my daily check of my status today it was changed to Under Review. Has this happened to anyone else?

Hello,

I am freaking out, I received the finalist notification, sent in my required paperwork and my status went to Award Accepted Final Review. When I did my daily check of my status today it was changed to Under Review. Has this happened to anyone else?

Is your contract etc. still up?

No it is not, that is why I'm freaked out, I signed it on July 27 when everything was submitted.

I hope so, thanks for the support!

Maybe it's a glitch, but I would still call and see what's going on.

Is it a good sign when they're sending you massive emails and phone calls to accept or decline your award

Is it a good sign when they're sending you massive emails and phone calls to accept or decline your award

It's not a matter of it being a good sign or not. The fact is the award is yours unless you choose not to accept it. If you select "NO", it makes the process speedier to select someone else. "YES", and everything verified on your record means another spot filled.

It's not a matter of it being a good sign or not. The fact is the award is yours unless you choose not to accept it. If you select "NO", it makes the process speedier to select someone else. "YES", and everything verified on your record means another spot filled.
Thanks Ace! That just a big relief to know! I'm waiting on my school to finish the paperworks and it's killing me

Thanks Ace! That just a big relief to know! I'm waiting on my school to finish the paperworks and it's killing me

Everything worked out after several phone calls and emails. Their computer system was updated again and it changed my status so I had to re submit the contract but I am still a finalist. I tried not to check my status every day but I'm glad I did, I don't know what would have happened if I didn't call. Thanks!

I do have a question for anyone who had the scholarship, someone mentioned that participants have to go to a conference the summer before applying for jobs. Where is it held and how long is it?

I am glad I stumbled across this forum. I was selected as a finalist last month and have been eagerly awaiting the results of the final review process. DNPtoBe, Your situation gave me palpitations lol. I have checked my portal every day to make certain the same thing didn't happen to me. I'm glad everything worked out.

I do have a question for anyone who had the scholarship, someone mentioned that participants have to go to a conference the summer before applying for jobs. Where is it held and how long is it?
I spoke to a recent graduate of my program who received the scholarship, and she said that there was no conference to attend. You are assigned a regional advisor to help with the job search and told to use the website to find an open position. There is also a (long) process to establish new approval for sites that you may want to work but aren't currently approved by the NHSC.

UGH!! I am the only one getting anxious! September needs to get here faster :)

Reactions: 3 users
Nothing new here either but last year it happened on aug 25

today's my white coat ceremony, so hopefully it will happen today so I have two things to celebrate :)

Reactions: 2 users
Ya I bet it happens next week. It seems like everything has been a few days later for us compared to past years.

Good sign the portal is shut off for maintenance until Saturday! I read in old posts that that always happens before they announce!!

Out of curiosity, has anyone heard anything about enrollment verification. I asked the person who filled out my form to let me know when he was contacted by the NHSC just so I would have an idea of the timing of everything, and I haven't heard from him. Just wondering if anyone else has heard anything?

tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow, its only a dayyyyyyy aaaaaawwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy

Is anyone concerned about the "horror" stories people are spreading about the NHSC's Scholarship and the obligation and how it might be terrible? or any other concerns regarding the process. I understand its an honor to be Scholar but anyone worried about job placement etc and how easy it would be do the obligation. Anyone with a significant other or kids please shine in on your experience