NHSC Application 2016 is Officially Open!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone concerned about the "horror" stories people are spreading about the NHSC's Scholarship and the obligation and how it might be terrible? or any other concerns regarding the process. I understand its an honor to be Scholar but anyone worried about job placement etc and how easy it would be do the obligation. Anyone with a significant other or kids please shine in on your experience

Nope. I weighed the consequences. Half a million in debt or 4 years working in an area that I wouldn't normally choose to work. I read through the thread with the horror stories. It all comes down to completing the contract. Don't apply if you aren't flexible in where you're willing to work. Im married and we'll see how it goes. I think everything will work out, and if it doesn't I'll be sure to come back on SDN and complain lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
countersigned today! it's official!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any other regulars on here check their status online for a counter signature?

OK a few questions.
1. How do you know if it's countersigned? Where would it be?
2. Also, did you get an email notifying you of anything or did you just check?
3. What does your last name start with?
@QueenBee85

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else know anything? I'm about to have a friggin stroke...

Still waiting on the counter sig :I

Anyone else know anything? I'm about to have a friggin stroke...
My husband is a finalist so I've been following this forum and checking his status/contract every 10 minutes. I don't see a counter signature yet.

Alright so at least we all can breathe a little.

No signature for me yet. I am going to be a wreck tomorrow

Members don't see this ad :)
Queenbee, did you get any mortification or did you just check and voila?

I wonder if they sign them all within a day or two or do we have to wait weeks?

OK a few questions.
1. How do you know if it's countersigned? Where would it be?
2. Also, did you get an email notifying you of anything or did you just check?
3. What does your last name start with?
@QueenBee85

1. It's on the last page of the contract. Scroll down to the bottom and it should have your electronic signature ( Signature, Role, Date). The countersignature is shown right after that (Signature: Electronically signed by... Role: OFAM Approver, HRSA, Date: ... )
2. No, I didn't get any email or notification regarding countersignature. I was just doing my daily check on the portal and found it.
3. R

Hope this helps!

I saw on another message board someone else got countersigned today 2:08 too :diebanana:

image.jpg

Queenbee right now....

Reactions: 7 users
I won't even pretend to have a semblance of an idea of how this stuff works. I'm heading to bed. lol If there's a signature tomorrow, Alleluia. One less thing to worry about before this tropical storm hits Friday. Blah Good luck everyone. Hopefully tomorrow we can say THANK YOU.

What state are you from Queenbee?

Illinois!

I don't really know why mine got signed today, but I'm sure more countersignatures will follow soon. Sorry, I didn't mean to cause so much anxiety! Hang tight!

Nothing here.

2 has come and gone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone concerned about the "horror" stories people are spreading about the NHSC's Scholarship and the obligation and how it might be terrible? or any other concerns regarding the process. I understand its an honor to be Scholar but anyone worried about job placement etc and how easy it would be do the obligation. Anyone with a significant other or kids please shine in on your experience

You have to be willing to be studious and apply early and do your
Illinois!

I don't really know why mine got signed today, but I'm sure more countersignatures will follow soon. Sorry, I didn't mean to cause so much anxiety! Hang tight!

I think maybe it just depends on the person whos doing our application..... I hope.... I'm getting nervous. They had me resubmit all my paperworks today. That makes me more antsy as to whether my paperworks are done correctly or not. I called the customer service number and they said I was still a finalist and everything was still normal on their end.

It's like the military minus the uniform and with slightly more control.

You just have to realize that it IS the government. They are usually not the most efficient and have archaic, assanine rules for the sake of having rules. I think you have to go in open minded and with the realization that it probably won't go exactly as you planned, but if you honestly want to be a doctor and you honestly want to go where you are most needed, then who cares?

I think the only people getting offended (with the exception of very few) are those that want total control over their lives and then get upset when there are hoops to jump through.

Tl;dr it's the government, it's not going to be efficient, but if you are truly dedicated to the mission and not the money, it will be fine.

Reactions: 3 users
It's like the military minus the uniform and with slightly more control.

You just have to realize that it IS the government. They are usually not the most efficient and have archaic, assanine rules for the sake of having rules. I think you have to go in open minded and with the realization that it probably won't go exactly as you planned, but if you honestly want to be a doctor and you honestly want to go where you are most needed, then who cares?

I think the only people getting offended (with the exception of very few) are those that want total control over their lives and then get upset when there are hoops to jump through.

Tl;dr it's the government, it's not going to be efficient, but if you are truly dedicated to the mission and not the money, it will be fine.

As an older student, I'd like a life eventually. Trying to get a mortgage with 355k to your name at 37 is not the easiest thing to do in the world. So, I have no qualms about what I am doing. I grew up disadvantaged, had no real financial support, and I am helped immensely by this scholarship. So, whatever the stipulations, so be it. A horror story for me would have been failing a credit check next year for something from my past and NOT having the cosigners necessary to continue. That, would be a horror. Luckily, barring some sort of SNAFU where I am the first finalist on this board to not be given the scholarship, I am free to study medicine knowing that it's going to be okay. lol

As an older student, I'd like a life eventually. Trying to get a mortgage with 355k to your name at 37 is not the easiest thing to do in the world. So, I have no qualms about what I am doing. I grew up disadvantaged, had no real financial support, and I am helped immensely by this scholarship. So, whatever the stipulations, so be it. A horror story for me would have been failing a credit check next year for something from my past and NOT having the cosigners necessary to continue. That, would be a horror. Luckily, barring some sort of SNAFU where I am the first finalist on this board to not be given the scholarship, I am free to study medicine knowing that it's going to be okay. lol

ERR, my screen froze.
Ace, your not an older student, I'm 44 with loans. I'm trying not to worry about it but this scholarship would really ease the financial stress and I have always worked with disadvantaged individuals.

So the countersignatures that people got on Aug 30 at 2:08 was done by "Jamie King" his/her role is "OFAM Approver, HRSA"

Someone else put a screen shot in another message board and I thought you all would like to know.

So the countersignatures that people got on Aug 30 at 2:08 was done by "Jamie King" his/her role is "OFAM Approver, HRSA"

Someone else put a screen shot in another message board and I thought you all would like to know.

So a lot of people got countersignatures?

can you post the screen shot in here? or the Facebook page?

I wouldn't quite worry yet. You have to remember, we have no idea the methods used for this stuff. Who knows if they started with the first year contracts first, second year, third year etc., state, submission date, specialty, etc. You just have no idea. Hang in there. We're all feeling the same way.

Not to mention that every other year, there were many many people who wrote on sdn the day they got their countersignature. This year, only one person wrote on here that had it. I would say the majority of finalists haven't heard anything yet and that it'll happen soon. Maybe today.

Pop, any updates on that message board?

Nope none. And I dont want to repost the picture because it has personal info like first and last name of the student. It's a closed group. That's why I just rewrote the information.

About 20 including a few past scholars. It's only 3 people so far as of right now that spoke up about getting countersigned.

Interesting - Thanks for the update, my friend.

Hey guys,

I'm among those who have received a finalist email but haven't gotten a countersignature as of yet. I must admit I'm getting pretty worried at this point. Last year's finalists received their countersignatures by 8/25 and their official participant emails by 9/2. I'm not sure what's going on or what is causing the delay this year. I was reading a thread from the pa forum that is making me even more nervous. Someone there mentioned, "Being a finalist means that you weren't rejected. It's not a guarantee that you won a scholarship (yet). When you are awarded a scholarship you will be told that you won." Someone else mentioned, "All scholarship recipients receive the "finalist" message. But do all finalists receive the scholarship? I'm not sure you can say that."

I'm not too sure what to make of this but I'm losing patience over here :(