NHSC Application 2016 is Officially Open!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
questions is their a limit or requirements for the applications?

Im applying this cycle however i have little knowledge about this, could some one elaborate?

thanks

I encourage you to read the NHSC guidelines here https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/downloads/spapplicationguide.pdf. It should answer many of your questions and help you understand where to start. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know if it's 2500 words with or without spaces?

I'm very curious. What were your reasons for pursuing NHSC as a D2?
I was considering it during my pre-dent and D1 years, but never followed through with it because I wasn't sure if I wanted to specialize. Now that I'm moving more toward pediatrics, I think this is a good opportunity to graduate with a little less debt and continue to work intimately with underserved communities before building a private practice.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have applied successfully, (and I guess for those applying now) what kind of stuff did you ask your letter writers to include in the LoRs? Just the same kind of thing as for your dental school application? No one I've talked to is very well informed about this program.

Does it matter when you submit your application? Will my chances be lower if I submit on April 27th?

Does it matter when you submit your application? Will my chances be lower if I submit on April 27th?
No I don't think so because they give you opportunities to resubmit until the deadline. I believe they review all the applicants staring on April 28th and not on a first come first serve basis.

How many LoR do you need because I don't want to ask a LoR for this and then for applying to dental schools lol.

Also can you apply for both the loan & scholarship in case you don't get one or the other?
Also do they place you in any state or the state you are currently in?

Every understands it to mean 2500 characters, per essay, correct?
Yes. Each essay is uploaded in a separate PDF (I'm sure you've figured this out by now, but just in case you've procrastinated, I'm sorry I forgot to answer!)

How many LoR do you need because I don't want to ask a LoR for this and then for applying to dental schools lol.
2. You don't apply for this at the same time as your dental school app though.
Also can you apply for both the loan & scholarship in case you don't get one or the other?
Also do they place you in any state or the state you are currently in?
Loan repayment is repayment; you apply after you finish school.
You find a job at an approved location. They're on the website and will likely change around in the next few years.

2. You don't apply for this at the same time as your dental school app though.

Loan repayment is repayment; you apply after you finish school.
You find a job at an approved location. They're on the website and will likely change around in the next few years.
Im applying for DS my junior year(now). Shouldn't I apply for that now as well or during senior year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Im applying for DS my junior year(now). Shouldn't I apply for that now as well or during senior year?
Your senior year, you can't apply unless you've been accepted to dental school and starting in the fall

No. Here is your order:
Apply to Dental school (June/July/August) --> get accepted (Dec/Jan/??) --> apply to NHSC for D1 (March/April) --> start D1 (July/August) --> hear back about NHSC (Sept)

Reactions: 3 users
Ok, thanks.

Seems like a good deal; you get to work in CHCs, provide a very helpful service, and not worry about student debt at all.

I hope you get it!

Seems like a good deal; you get to work in CHCs, provide a very helpful service, and not worry about student debt at all.

I hope you get it!
probably not gonna even do it, we'll see what happens next year

Ahhh. It's due today! **crunch time**

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Just applied last night, praying this summer brings good news. :happy:

Anyone nervous and feel like they did part of the application wrong is it just me haha

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone nervous and feel like they did part of the application wrong is it just me haha

Lol. No I feel ya. I think paranoia is one of the qualifications of a dentist

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Good luck to everyone who has applied/still working on their application! This process definitely takes a lot of patience.

guess I'll apply during my D1 year since application closes today

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
You pretty much apply (similar to the military HPSP), write a few essays, and gather a few LORs. It's pretty competitive these days for any of these full ride scholarships. Ideally though, the NHSC would like to see someone who is well-rounded and has previous exposure to low-income neighborhoods. You'll get a stipend of about $1500/mo while in school, full tuition paid, and you can negotiate your salary and location after you graduate.

I wish DAT scores were part of selection criteria. Does anyone know what GPA one should have to have a reasonable chance for the scholarship?

Submitted as well! good luck everybody!

I submitted for this scholarship the other day as well. I really feel like waiting until July or August to find out is a bit of a stretch. However, I guess it is no different that interviewing in August and not finding out about admission until December.

I hate to even bring this up but did anyone else forget to include the last four digits of their social security number on each of their documents? I will be honest, I definitely forgot to do this on my essays. I looked on last years thread and it seemed to be a problem for some applicants last year as well. One person called and the person they spoke to said it didn't necessarily disqualify them, for whatever that is worth. I will call myself and get back with the details.

I wish DAT scores were part of selection criteria. Does anyone know what GPA one should have to have a reasonable chance for the scholarship?
I don't think it really matters since everyone has a dental school acceptance. I could be wrong though.
I hate to even bring this up but did anyone else forget to include the last four digits of their social security number on each of their documents? I will be honest, I definitely forgot to do this on my essays. I looked on last years thread and it seemed to be a problem for some applicants last year as well. One person called and the person they spoke to said it didn't necessarily disqualify them, for whatever that is worth. I will call myself and get back with the details.
What??? **** yes I also forgot that. Please update with what you find out!

I don't think it really matters since everyone has a dental school acceptance. I could be wrong though.

What??? **** yes I also forgot that. Please update with what you find out!

Just spoke to a representative who said we are perfectly fine. He said as long as some of the supporting documents have our name and social security number then we will be fine. The purpose of this rule was to ensure that the documents weren't uploaded by anyone but the applicant. I explained that I had listed the social security number on everything but the resume and the essays and he said it would not be a problem at all and that listing it on all the other documents was more than enough to verify identity.

Reactions: 4 users
Just spoke to a representative who said we are perfectly fine. He said as long as some of the supporting documents have our name and social security number then we will be fine. The purpose of this rule was to ensure that the documents weren't uploaded by anyone but the applicant. I explained that I had listed the social security number on everything but the resume and the essays and he said it would not be a problem at all and that listing it on all the other documents was more than enough to verify identity.
I love you

I submitted my application on the 27th. I received only confirmation on the site. But I did not receive any confirmation through email, how do i check my status?

Never mind... Figured it out. I am "Under Review"

Anyone know when we hear anything? I'm assuming not for a couple months so I'll try to forget about it lol

My dentist (also my boss) strongly encouraged me not to apply for this. His list of cons:
-within 4 years you can have an established patient base
-you'll live in a rural area
-you'll be away from family
-you'll make more than enough money working as an associate to pay loans
-After 4 years as an associate you can open your own practice and have established patients

So I decided not to apply for this even though I had finished all but one essay. I even had the letters of rec ready. My dentist strongly persuaded me to not apply, he offered me a job at his practice for an hourly rate and he told me how much he would pay me and even said it may be more, which is much more than what anyone expects as a starting salary. He said the only reason anyone should apply for this should be that the school totals 500-600k

My dentist (also my boss) strongly encouraged me not to apply for this. His list of cons:
-within 4 years you can have an established patient base
-you'll live in a rural area
-you'll be away from family
-you'll make more than enough money working as an associate to pay loans
-After 4 years as an associate you can open your own practice and have established patients

So I decided not to apply for this even though I had finished all but one essay. I even had the letters of rec ready. My dentist strongly persuaded me to not apply, he offered me a job at his practice for an hourly rate and he told me how much he would pay me and even said it may be more, which is much more than what anyone expects as a starting salary. He said the only reason anyone should apply for this should be that the school totals 500-600k

...Or they want to treat people in undeserved populations no matter the pay?

https://nhscjobs.hrsa.gov/external/search/index.seam

You'll be in a rural area? Really, tell me more...
My brother who is a dentist also told me not to do it. He had the impression that you lived in a seriously rural area or very high crime urban area. I showed him the website that lists all of the possible jobs (the one @Scumbag_Steve just posted) and he quickly changed his mind about it. It seems like it might have changed over the years, so it's possible your dentist just hasn't looked at it recently. Apparently the town I'm living in now has open positions and we are not rural or urban but a nice, suburban town. If he wasn't retiring in the next 10 years and setting me up with his practices, I would totally do it.

My brother who is a dentist also told me not to do it. He had the impression that you lived in a seriously rural area or very high crime urban area. I showed him the website that lists all of the possible jobs (the one @Scumbag_Steve just posted) and he quickly changed his mind about it. It seems like it might have changed over the years, so it's possible your dentist just hasn't looked at it recently. Apparently the town I'm living in now has open positions and we are not rural or urban but a nice, suburban town. If he wasn't retiring in the next 10 years and setting me up with his practices, I would totally do it.
I'm not doubting you (as I don't know where you live), but when I first used the job finder thing I didn't set a minimum HSPA score and places almost everywhere popped up. Once I set the minimum number required for NHSC (I want to say it's like 15 or 16), the pickings became slimmer. Still lots of good places out there, though

I'm not doubting you (as I don't know where you live), but when I first used the job finder thing I didn't set a minimum HSPA score and places almost everywhere popped up. Once I set the minimum number required for NHSC (I want to say it's like 15 or 16), the pickings became slimmer. Still lots of good places out there, though
Honestly, you're probably way more right because I didn't do anything with the HSPA score. I just changed it to dental. That may definitely change opinions then. That's good to know. My town shows up when I set it to 14 or above.

Edit: Do you want a high HSPA score or a low score for a location to count for NHSC?

Honestly, you're probably way more right because I didn't do anything with the HSPA score. I just changed it to dental. That may definitely change opinions then. That's good to know. My town shows up when I set it to 14 or above.
Lol ya I was about to say a nice, suburban town can't be in that dire need of a dentist. Still lots of non-rural places though!

Lol ya I was about to say a nice, suburban town can't be in that dire need of a dentist. Still lots of non-rural places though!
I'm lazy. Do you know the link where I can find out how those scores are determined? It shows primary care and mental health is a 16 and dental is a 13 for sites in my area. I'm trying to figure out what that translates to lol

I'm lazy. Do you know the link where I can find out how those scores are determined? It shows primary care and mental health is a 16 and dental is a 13 for sites in my area. I'm trying to figure out what that translates to lol
I would assume it depends how many of those professionals are within a reasonable distance and that your area just has more dentists. I don't have a link. Sorry!

I would assume it depends how many of those professionals are within a reasonable distance and that your area just has more dentists. I don't have a link. Sorry!
No problem. It said you could find it on the main NHSC page and I couldn't.

...Or they want to treat people in undeserved populations no matter the pay?

https://nhscjobs.hrsa.gov/external/search/index.seam

You'll be in a rural area? Really, tell me more...

True it's nice to help underserved areas, but you can do that with or without the scholarship. 99.99% of the people applying for this apply for the scholarship not helping the underserved only, don't fool yourself.
Sure you can get lucky and get placed in a suburban area or city, but the chances of that are much slimmer.

True it's nice to help underserved areas, but you can do that with or without the scholarship. 99.99% of the people applying for this apply for the scholarship not helping the underserved only, don't fool yourself.
Sure you can get lucky and get placed in a suburban area or city, but the chances of that are much slimmer.
It's much easier to take a lower salary and help underserved when you don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt to worry about repaying. And I'm pretty sure you yourself find a job at an approved site and if you can't find one, they place you.