NHSC Application 2016 is Officially Open!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
happy credit check anniversary!

I've been waiting on one all week! I'm hoping Monday is the day. Not that it really means much other than a sign that something is actually happening.

Members don't see this ad.

I think he just means this was the day that credit was first checked last year.
You're correct! ... But having your credit check definitely does mean something. It seems like more people who have their credit checked actually become finalists than those that get their credit checked and don't become finalists.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're correct! ... But having your credit check definitely does mean something. It seems like more people who have their credit checked actually become finalists than those that get their credit checked and don't become finalists.

Yeah I guess you're right. Looking back I can't get a clear answer but does anyone know if there is just one round of credit checks? Additionally, do we know if anyone was awarded the scholarship last year that didn't have their credit checked?

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I guess you're right. Looking back I can't get a clear answer but does anyone know if there is just one round of credit checks? Additionally, do we know if anyone was awarded the scholarship last year that didn't have their credit checked?

That's like asking how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop.

The world may never know.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone,
This may be a question that can only be speculated but... Does anyone know if they pool applicants that are applying for different years separate or together. Like, are incoming dental students applying evaluated the same as current dental students who are applying for the next years?

Hi everyone,
This may be a question that can only be speculated but... Does anyone know if they pool applicants that are applying for different years separate or together. Like, are incoming dental students applying evaluated the same as current dental students who are applying for the next years?
My understanding was that anyone who got the scholarship last year gets first dibs this year, then everyone else is lumped together. I could be wrong though

My understanding was that anyone who got the scholarship last year gets first dibs this year, then everyone else is lumped together. I could be wrong though

I believe @whatupdentistry meant is the dental students who didnt get scholarships but is applying for this year vs the non-dental students who are applying for this year.

But in any case, the rubric is strong on our personal statements, resume and letters of rec. Our status and GPA really doesnt play any roles.

I find it interesting that they ask about the school we go to and whether we are paying resident vs. non resident tuition. I know there are a lot of students who get the scholarship who go to expensive schools, but it seems like the NHSC would try and get more bang for their buck by giving the scholarship to students who pay less for school.... But then again, what's a couple hundred thousand dollars more on our national debt.

Reactions: 4 users
I find it interesting that they ask about the school we go to and whether we are paying resident vs. non resident tuition. I know there are a lot of students who get the scholarship who go to expensive schools, but it seems like the NHSC would try and get more bang for their buck by giving the scholarship to students who pay less for school.... But then again, what's a couple hundred thousand dollars more on our national debt.
I'd say they do actually take this into consideration. Of course that is pure speculation but based on the information they asked for, as you mentioned, one can only think it will be an added variable to the equation.

I believe @whatupdentistry meant is the dental students who didnt get scholarships but is applying for this year vs the non-dental students who are applying for this year.

But in any case, the rubric is strong on our personal statements, resume and letters of rec. Our status and GPA really doesnt play any roles.
Yes so I think everyone else is lumped together: class of 2020, class of 2019, class of 2018 etc. At least that was my understanding. Idk. Speculating about the application cycle for dental school wore me out. I'm trying not to speculate about this too much lol

I'd say they do actually take this into consideration. Of course that is pure speculation but based on the information they asked for, as you mentioned, one can only think it will be an added variable to the equation.
Maybe. Maybe the thinking is that if you go to a cheaper school, you may still work in an underserved area without the scholarship, but if you're school is costing you $500k, you won't.

Maybe. Maybe the thinking is that if you go to a cheaper school, you may still work in an underserved area without the scholarship, but if you're school is costing you $500k, you won't.
I understand the scholarship to be meant for people that have a greater chance of remaining in underserved areas anyway.

Also, to me anyway, it just makes sense that they would sign as many people to obligation as their funding allows as to improve the number of dentists in their service. This would mean that they pay attention to the amount of funding each applicant would require.

Of course this plays to my favor so perhaps I'm just hopeful that this is how it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand the scholarship to be meant for people that have a greater chance of remaining in underserved areas anyway.

Also, to me anyway, it just makes sense that they would sign as many people to obligation as their funding allows as to improve the number of dentists in their service. This would mean that they pay attention to the amount of funding each applicant would require.

Of course this plays to my favor so perhaps I'm just hopeful that this is how it is.
Lol I totally understand. I agree with you. I'm just playing devil's advocate because who knows what they're thinking

Yes so I think everyone else is lumped together: class of 2020, class of 2019, class of 2018 etc. At least that was my understanding. Idk. Speculating about the application cycle for dental school wore me out. I'm trying not to speculate about this too much lol
Thanks for your reply! Yeah I guess it's such a game to speculate but that makes sense that the amount of awards given is to any class. I'm over this wating game

Thanks for your reply! Yeah I guess it's such a game to speculate but that makes sense that the amount of awards given is to any class. I'm over this wating game

If memory serves me correctly I believe only 20 ish was given out the year 2015.
I don't know if they care so much about the school, as I recall there were quite a lot of students from UOP that received funding. And their tuition was quite high. But I also notice they asked if your school offered a MPH. So... I don't know if they care so much for tuition if they actually want to pay for your dual degree.

In essence, I think they're just looking for the right people to commit to their program for the long run. Let's be honest, almost every dental school tuition is at least in the 60k. And tuition increase is gonna jump 5k every year.

They give out like 50 dental scholarships... Not 20.

If you check out the SDN thread for NHSC 2015/2014 they mentioned it's close to 20ish. 50 was a while back.
With 2500 -3000 students applying and dental students being 200-300.

Last edited:
If you check out the SDN thread for NHSC 2015/2014 they mentioned it's close to 20ish. 50 was a while back.
With 2500 -3000 students applying and dental students being 200-300.
The thread for 2014/2015 is two years old. Someone mentioned in the 2015/2016 thread that they thought it would be between 40-60. The truth is probably somewhere in between, although I'm hopeful for he higher number.

I saw that in 2014-2015, they didn't run their credit checks until June 23. I mean is this torture for anyone else?

Reactions: 1 users
I saw that in 2014-2015, they didn't run their credit checks until June 23. I mean is this torture for anyone else?
I'm trying not to think about it lol. My biggest solace is that I picked a relatively cheaper school and didn't bank on the scholarship to cover me for $500k

Does anyone know how much say you have in determining where you end up if you are awarded the scholarship? I'm certainly interested and could move to be at one of their approved locations, but that said, I'm not necessarily looking to move just anywhere. I grew up in the south so I'm used to sun and heat, I wouldn't mind going somewhere in the region, but If I found out they wanted me to go to the Alaskan interior (or anywhere else cold for that matter) that would be a completely different story.

I just saw the email as well. I don't understand. This must be a new policy. I wish we could get some feedback! Did you get the mentor email?

I got rejected today.
Wait, Maybe its not! Its states during the 2013-2015 time period. Its the 2016 application cycle. I don't think its a rejection letter. We need to call and find out.
Is this the email you are referring, when you stated that you got a rejection letter?
Thank you for applying to the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Scholarship Program between the years of 2013 and 2015. Your dedication to primary care and the nation’s underserved is inspiring and greatly needed. Although you weren’t selected for the scholarship during this time period, the NHSC would like to support your journey into the field by providing various resources.
The NHSC Mentor Program invites you to tune in for guidance, tips, and tools for getting the most from a mentoring relationship; specifically for future primary care providers who desire to practice in underserved areas.

Last edited:
What! Its states during the 2013-2015 time period. Its the 2016 application cycle. I don't think its a rejection letter. We need to call and find out.
Is this the email you are referring, when you stated that you got a rejection letter?
Thank you for applying to the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Scholarship Program between the years of 2013 and 2015. Your dedication to primary care and the nation’s underserved is inspiring and greatly needed. Although you weren’t selected for the scholarship during this time period, the NHSC would like to support your journey into the field by providing various resources.
The NHSC Mentor Program invites you to tune in for guidance, tips, and tools for getting the most from a mentoring relationship; specifically for future primary care providers who desire to practice in underserved areas.
Thank you I didn't see that! :D

Good! I think its just encouragement for re-applicants. I am a re-applicant for the MD program. I will call tomorrow. However, it definitely states for that time period ( 2013-2015). Keep the faith!!!

I received the same email and I am a reapplicant to the NHSC program (MD). I figured it was sent to me because I wasn't accepted then.

Yep that definitely doesn't look like a rejection letter for this cycle. Everyone's still in the game. You guys did just give me a heart attack though and made me refresh my email a few times lol

Reactions: 5 users
I just saw the email as well. I don't understand. This must be a new policy. I wish we could get some feedback! Did you get the mentor email?
I didn't get the mentor email. I think it was because I didn't subscribe to them.
Continue on with life everybody. False alarm.

P.S. Nvm, I got the mentor email.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Kinda off topic but I actually don't have any credit, never owned a credit card or anything, will this affect me adversely anyone know?

Kinda off topic but I actually don't have any credit, never owned a credit card or anything, will this affect me adversely anyone know?
I don't think so. Don't worry.

Did anyone not get either emails? I was looking through spam/clutter and can't find anything either. I didn't apply in earlier years so that's obvious but I didn't see the mentor one either.

Did anyone not get either emails? I was looking through spam/clutter and can't find anything either. I didn't apply in earlier years so that's obvious but I didn't see the mentor one either.
I didn't get either email and this is my first time applying. I did just get an email to change my password, though

The mentor email was for those who applied but did not receive the scholarship in previous years. So, if you had not previously applied, you would not receive the email.

tumblr_inline_nor8qrobrI1qik2ew_540.gif

Credit checked by credco on 6/14/16 checked via credit karma under Equifax but not under Transunion.
Anybody else?

My credit karma checked my inquires on June 13th does anyone know how frequently they update? I read something like the score could be updated once a week but this is the first experience I have had with them

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I just learned for people who have been checking credit karma daily like myself, credit karma will only update once a week for example I set my account up the 13th so it won't update my credit report until the 20th just so people are aware that is a possibility

I got my credit checked by credco on 6/14 as well!

Credit checked by credco on 6/14/16 checked via credit karma under Equifax but not under Transunion.
Anybody else?
Same here. Credit checked on June 14, 2016 by Credco, reported by Equifax.

I just learned for people who have been checking credit karma daily like myself, credit karma will only update once a week for example I set my account up the 13th so it won't update my credit report until the 20th just so people are aware that is a possibility

Same for me. My latest report on credit inquiries is from June 10. I created my account on June 3. So perhaps tomorrow I will see something.