NHSC Application 2016 is Officially Open!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Or they stopped posting because they were finalists.. I feel like people who didn't get the scholarship after having their credit checked are more likely to post on here and complain that they didn't get it... And in the last three years I only see two concrete examples of dental students who had their credit checked but didn't receive the scholarship. Even if sdn is a small sample size, there is still a good probability that the chances can be applied to those applying at large. If what you're saying is true about having others in your school having their credit checked but not getting the scholarship, then I guess I'm wrong

And how do you explain the fact that the credit is checked before the independent review process starts?
Credit checks : 6/14/16 2016 NHSC Scholarship Application Review Period (according to HRSA): 6/14/16 - 7/1/16

Members don't see this ad.

His status says "Dental student" lol

Status isn't shown when accessing the mobile site. Thus, my assumption was based on his avatar wearing a stethoscope, which dentists don't wear. How silly of me.

Reactions: 1 user
And how do you explain the fact that the credit is checked before the independent review process starts?
Credit checks : 6/14/16 2016 NHSC Scholarship Application Review Period (according to HRSA): 6/14/16 - 7/1/16
You make a good point, young grasshopper. Unless of course the NHSC is not entirely truthful about the whole process... Because there is no way that the applicants who didn't have their credit checked somehow all had incomplete applications. I feel like that is a slap in the face to all of those applicants to say that they didn't do the application correctly

Members don't see this ad :)
You make a good point, young grasshopper. Unless of course the NHSC is not entirely truthful about the whole process... Because there is no way that the applicants who didn't have their credit checked somehow all had incomplete applications. I feel like that is a slap in the face to all of those applicants to say that they didn't do the application correctly

I would agree unless there was some directions somewhere other than the guide because I double and triple checked my application before turning it all in and I did not have my credit checked.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

So I just got off the phone with the NHSC to confirm "CredCo" was indeed the NHSC running the check on Equifax. She put me on hold for a bit and talked to her supervisor and said it was indeed the NHSC running the credit check and she gave me the number to Equifax. I pressed her a bit further and she said it was "definitely a good sign that they ran your credit as it means they're reviewing your application further." Take it for what it's worth. To second what Floss said, she said that they could be in touch with "us" next week but it might be a bit longer as the review process does run for another couple of weeks. Again, I am an MD applicant for internal medicine so I have no clue if it's the same for dentistry or if it means anything at all but figured I would at least tell you what was said.

I would agree unless there was some directions somewhere other than the guide because I double and triple checked my application before turning it all in and I did not have my credit checked.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

There are parts of the application you can't really control like the recommendation letters. Maybe our recommenders have to follow certain directions which they don't ?
It really sucks that they don't tell us the reason for rejection and so we really have to guess on what to improve next time. :(

so pretty much if we didn't get our credit checked by now that means we did not get the scholarship?..

So I just got off the phone with the NHSC to confirm "CredCo" was indeed the NHSC running the check on Equifax. She put me on hold for a bit and talked to her supervisor and said it was indeed the NHSC running the credit check and she gave me the number to Equifax. I pressed her a bit further and she said it was "definitely a good sign that they ran your credit as it means they're reviewing your application further." Take it for what it's worth. To second what Floss said, she said that they could be in touch with "us" next week but it might be a bit longer as the review process does run for another couple of weeks. Again, I am an MD applicant for internal medicine so I have no clue if it's the same for dentistry or if it means anything at all but figured I would at least tell you what was said.

We just have to wait till about July 25 which is around the time they have been sending out finalist emails in the past. Speculations until then!

Hey, everyone! I also got the NHSC scholarship last year, so feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Good luck to those who are applying!
hello!! If I haven't received a credit check yet should I assume that I will most likely not get the scholarship?..

We just have to wait till about July 25 which is around the time they have been sending out finalist emails in the past. Speculations until then!

Floss, do you think they initially screen from every applicant? Meaning, depending on how much money they have and openings per applicant and priority status before evaluating? Or do you think they truthfully look at every single one?

I have hard time believing they do credit checks even before reviewing the applications. The applications were due late April this year and they don't do anything for whole two months? My theory is that they DO review applications before the credit check in June. It just doesn't make any sense they disqualify a good number of applicants based on a little technicality. As for the review period as shown on the link here http://www.grantreviewinfo.net/hrsa/Info.asp?Program=764, maybe they are reviewing the score card of the applications. There must be different reviewers evaluating the applications so maybe they are reviewing the score cards of each reviewers for standardization? The truth is, we really won't know for sure how this process works at the NHSC. We'll just have to wait and see in July.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Only time will tell. Well actually it can't as I'm sure there will be some that falls through on the credit check and did not recieve award.

But I'm gonna stay optimistic and believe in @FatherOrangeJuice theory

I have hard time believing they do credit checks even before reviewing the applications. The applications were due late April this year and they don't do anything for whole two months? My theory is that they DO review applications before the credit check in June. It just doesn't make any sense they disqualify a good number of applicants based on a little technicality. As for the review period as shown on the link here http://www.grantreviewinfo.net/hrsa/Info.asp?Program=764, maybe they are reviewing the score card of the applications. There must be different reviewers evaluating the applications so maybe they are reviewing the score cards of each reviewers for standardization? The truth is, we really won't know for sure how this process works at the NHSC. We'll just have to wait and see in July.
+1

Reactions: 1 users
Floss, do you think they initially screen from every applicant? Meaning, depending on how much money they have and openings per applicant and priority status before evaluating? Or do you think they truthfully look at every single one?

I think they initially screen for completeness/correctness of the applications and also your GPA. Because they receive over 2500 applications, it takes them two months that @QueenBee85 pointed out. Then out of all the complete/accurate applications they probably set a cut off based on GPA and send certain applications for review. For example out of 2500 applications 1800 are complete and accurate but they probably have over 500 applicants with GPA higher than 3.5 so they run credit checks on these applications and then send them through the independent review process where three independent reviews score the applications and an average is taken of those scores. Based on the scores the applications are ranked. If you have a priority status but are ranked very low you won't get selected but if your rank is competitive to other non-priority applicants you will be given the funding priority.
I say this because of the video they have posted on their website which explains how funding is determined. They say that they give priority to applicants that have performed well academically (GPA) and are from disadvantaged background.
Here is the video
Watch from 1:09

So in review my theory is : application initially evaluated for completeness/ accuracy -> GPA cutoff -> credit check -> Independent review process -> ranks given -> high ranked disadvantaged applications receive funding -> rest of the applications receive funding until they reach their funding limit

This is what makes the most sense to me!

I think they initially screen for completeness/correctness of the applications and also your GPA. Because they receive over 2500 applications, it takes them two months that @QueenBee85 pointed out. Then out of all the complete/accurate applications they probably set a cut off based on GPA and send certain applications for review. For example out of 2500 applications 1800 are complete and accurate but they probably have over 500 applicants with GPA higher than 3.5 so they run credit checks on these applications and then send them through the independent review process where three independent reviews score the applications and an average is taken of those scores. Based on the scores the applications are ranked. If you have a priority status but are ranked very low you won't get selected but if your rank is competitive to other non-priority applicants you will be given the funding priority.
I say this because of the video they have posted on their website which explains how funding is determined. They say that they give priority to applicants that have performed well academically (GPA) and are from disadvantaged background.
Here is the video

So in review my theory is : application initially evaluated for completeness/ accuracy -> GPA cutoff -> credit check -> Independent review process -> ranks given -> high ranked disadvantaged applications receive funding -> rest of the applications receive funding until they reach their funding limit

It actually never occurred to me that the statistics included applications that are disqualified for NOT having been completed.

I didn't get a credit check. I have a high undergrad GPA so I would've passed this "GPA cutoff". If your theory is true, all I can think of for myself is that I forgot to put my name and SS at the top of each document and that made it incomplete.
I'm sure credit check is a good sign and it means everything is in order so far, but I really don't think it means you "basically got the scholarship" if your credit is checked.
My personal theory is that they credit check most people who mark themselves as disadvantaged and maybe somehow choose a few others. Then they start choosing people

I didn't get a credit check. I have a high undergrad GPA so I would've passed this "GPA cutoff". If your theory is true, all I can think of for myself is that I forgot to put my name and SS at the top of each document and that made it incomplete.
I'm sure credit check is a good sign and it means everything is in order so far, but I really don't think it means you "basically got the scholarship" if your credit is checked.
My personal theory is that they credit check most people who mark themselves as disadvantaged and maybe somehow choose a few others. Then they start choosing people

I remember commenting about the SS# bit and said that I spoke to one of their people and they said that was fine. I didn't put my SS# on any of my essays or my resume and still got my credit check.

Whomever does end up receiving the scholarship should make it a personal initiative to make this process more transparent for those whom didn't get it. Ask the questions to the personnel from HRSA that they will be in contact with.

Reactions: 3 users
Here is the video
Watch from 1:09

I'm gonna have to stop you on the GPA theory, mate. I can assure you my GPA was atrociously low way below the 3.5 (I wont mention what it is), but dental school liked my many activities involving communities and my DAT. NHSC processed my credit check. So, I strongly disagree with the GPA cutoff. Also, last I checked the incomplete was not a factor of disqualification. As it was said that it would only delay the process of being reviewed if your paperworks were not correctly or properly done right.

Last edited:

Just to help clarify on that theory, I too forgot to put the SS and name at the top of each document, but still got credit check from CREDCO.

Just to help clarify on that theory, I too forgot to put the SS and name at the top of each document, but still got credit check from CREDCO.

I am wondering if they count people who started the application, submitted it, but never had recommendation sent back, requires forms submitted, etc. as a disqualification rather than something as minuscule as a SS# out of place?

I am wondering if they count people who started the application, submitted it, but never had recommendation sent back, requires forms submitted, etc. as a disqualification rather than something as minuscule as a SS# out of place?
Idk, but aside from the SS# thing, everything I had was in order. Maybe it also has something to do with where you're going to school or where you're from. Who knows. Speculation is probably futile though lol. I'll see (some of) you guys on the NHSC 2017 thread ;)

If you submitted it without recommendation it is an automatic lost on that letter of rec. As it is suppose to be uploaded prior to submission. Whether that is a disqualification or not, thats a different subject. It may not be in that person's favor though.

I am MD re-applicant. My medical school is strictly pass/fail. So no G.P.A is on the transcript. That doesn't account for those applicants who have matriculated into pass/fail curriculum. I doubt GPA is the reason for not getting a credit check.

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to stop you on the GPA theory, mate. I can assure you my GPA was atrociously low way below the 3.5 (I wont mention what it is), but dental school liked my many activities involving communities and my DAT. NHSC processed my credit check. So, I strongly disagree with the GPA cutoff. Also, last I checked the incomplete was not a factor of disqualification. As it was said that it would only delay the process of being reviewed if your paperworks were not correctly or properly done right.

The 3.5 GPA was just an example. If you watch the video posted by NHSC, they clearly mention that priority is given to student who have performed well academically. So your GPA has to play a role somewhere in the selection process otherwise they wouldn't ask for it. Also the video clearly says that applications are evaluated for "eligibility and completeness". I participated on the online webinar by NHSC and someone on their asked what is the most common mistake made my the applicants? And the answer by the NHSC staff was that applicants don't follow directions frequently and that applications are either inaccurate or incomplete.

I agree. I am MD re-applicant. My medical school is strictly pass/fail. So no G.P.A is on the transcript. That doesn't account for those applicants who have matriculated into pass/fail curriculum. I doubt GPA is the reason for not getting a credit check.

You must have an undergrad gpa? You have to attach the transcript of the last degree you completed

Okay w
The 3.5 GPA was just an example. If you watch the video posted by NHSC, they clearly mention that priority is given to student who have performed well academically. So your GPA has to play a role somewhere in the selection process otherwise they wouldn't ask for it. Also the video clearly says that applications are evaluated for "eligibility and completeness". I participated on the online webinar by NHSC and someone on their asked what is the most common mistake made my the applicants? And the answer by the NHSC staff was that applicants don't follow directions frequently and that applications are either inaccurate or incomplete.

Right, but my gpa is no where even near a 3.3, so that throws it out. I know the video stated that, but I highly doubt that's a priority or something they care too much about. I'm not trying to discredit any info you're giving out as I'm sure it's helpful. But I just don't see GPA as a factor. And also base on the score guideline someone posted up. It was score base on PS, Rec letters and curriculum vitae.

I am MD re-applicant. My medical school is strictly pass/fail. So no G.P.A is on the transcript. That doesn't account for those applicants who have matriculated into pass/fail curriculum. I doubt GPA is the reason for not getting a credit check.
I see. I only mentioned GPA because someone thought that was a barrier to credit check. I didn't think it was. You helped prove that, so thanks :)

Well there must be some factors used to determine who gets their credit checked. I just don't know what that would be since your essays, rec letters, and CV are evaluated during the independent review process which seems to be happening after the credit check. Maybe they have two review processes: one internal and an external independent review process? Let's hope your predictions are true about the credit checks and most of us get selected. Also the NHSC funding for this year seems to be a little higher so they might give out more scholarships. $ 310 million compare to $287 million last year

Well there must be some factors used to determine who gets their credit checked. I just don't know what that would be since your essays, rec letters, and CV are evaluated during the independent review process which seems to be happening after the credit check. Maybe they have two review processes: one internal and an external independent review process? Let's hope your predictions are true about the credit checks and most of us get selected. Also the NHSC funding for this year seems to be a little higher so they might give out more scholarships. $ 310 million compare to $287 million last year

I really have to believe that the three essays and the disadvantaged status are the two most critical components of this entire deal. GPA seems rather irrelevant at this point, same with MCAT/DAT; you've been admitted to professional school, obviously you can handle this. But the long term goal here is to find people who can add to the "continuation" figure that seems to be a lot lower than the federal government would prefer. Stating in an essay that you want to work in underserved populations is all great and stuff but having done it is a completely different story. As far as medicine goes, you're giving up an entire chunk of the field to accept this scholarship without having any exposure to rotations or even the experience of your first year. Again, it's not comparable, but those with experience at least can make a bit of a more informed decision at this point.

I really have to believe that the three essays and the disadvantaged status are the two most critical components of this entire deal. GPA seems rather irrelevant at this point, same with MCAT/DAT; you've been admitted to professional school, obviously you can handle this. But the long term goal here is to find people who can add to the "continuation" figure that seems to be a lot lower than the federal government would prefer. Stating in an essay that you want to work in underserved populations is all great and stuff but having done it is a completely different story. As far as medicine goes, you're giving up an entire chunk of the field to accept this scholarship without having any exposure to rotations or even the experience of your first year. Again, it's not comparable, but those with experience at least can make a bit of a more informed decision at this point.
http://www.grantreviewinfo.net/hrsa/Info.asp?Program=764
Here is the Review breakdown. I don't see disadvantaged status as a criteria (which I forgot to claim :( )

image.jpeg image.jpeg A few things:

1. On the link to the grant review scorecard, on the right side, there is also a link to a reviewers manual. If you follow that manual to the bottom, there is a specific contact person and a number, Monica-Tia Bullock (301) 443-6477. Her name is listed for the reviewers to contact with questions on the scholarship. So if anyone is feeling so bold...

2. On the same link for the 2014-2015 cycle, there are several additional documents linked to the right side, including example essays and introduction letter to the reviewer. On that letter, it tells the reviewers that they can access their cases from 6/11-6/23. Credit checks were sent out on 6/23 that year. However, on the reviewer card it says the review period is from 6/16-6/24. Thus, that reviewer score card may not be accurate and it seems that all applications are reviewed before credit checks.

3. In that same letter, it states that if the total score is 70 points or below, a special comment needed to be logged in the system to that effect. Perhaps this is the source of whether or not a credit check is made.

4. To address the point about the absence of the disadvantaged status on the score card, it seems on the ARM system that is discussed on the reviewers manual (that link to the right of the score card), that there are additional priority points assigned if such priorities are given for these grants. In our case, we know there are priorities. I would imagine these points are assigned in addition to those from the score card.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 99
Reactions: 5 users
View attachment 205483 View attachment 205483 A few things:

1. On the link to the grant review scorecard, on the right side, there is also a link to a reviewers manual. If you follow that manual to the bottom, there is a specific contact person and a number, Monica-Tia Bullock (301) 443-6477. Her name is listed for the reviewers to contact with questions on the scholarship. So if anyone is feeling so bold...

2. On the same link for the 2014-2015 cycle, there are several additional documents linked to the right side, including example essays and introduction letter to the reviewer. On that letter, it tells the reviewers that they can access their cases from 6/11-6/23. Credit checks were sent out on 6/23 that year. However, on the reviewer card it says the review period is from 6/16-6/24. Thus, that reviewer score card may not be accurate and it seems that all applications are reviewed before credit checks.

3. In that same letter, it states that if the total score is 70 points or below, a special comment needed to be logged in the system to that effect. Perhaps this is the source of whether or not a credit check is made.

4. To address the point about the absence of the disadvantaged status on the score card, it seems on the ARM system that is discussed on the reviewers manual (that link to the right of the score card), that there are additional priority points assigned if such priorities are given for these grants. In our case, we know there are priorities. I would imagine these points are assigned in addition to those from the score card.
Best investigation I've ever seen

View attachment 205483 View attachment 205483 A few things:

Could you post the link to the 2014-2015 grants review scorecard?

In addition to Ukalum's really convincing investigation, my theory is that there is a computerized process before this whole pre-review period to determine who gets their credit checked. I have a lot of friends in the business and HR world and the secret to getting one of those jobs that everyone applies to online is to include key words in your resume or CV. For example, if you are applying to a non-profit organization that markets to low income and ethnically diverse people, some key words that a computer will pick up are "underserved", "non-profit", "multicultural", "volunteer". Even though this isnt a job, there are so many applying that I would imagine it would be difficult to review everybody so there has to be some kind of way to weed people out. It's kinda unfair, but I would assume the key words would be most important in the essays rather than the resume/CV since it's not a job but rather a scholarship.

In addition to Ukalum's really convincing investigation, my theory is that there is a computerized process before this whole pre-review period to determine who gets their credit checked. I have a lot of friends in the business and HR world and the secret to getting one of those jobs that everyone applies to online is to include key words in your resume or CV. For example, if you are applying to a non-profit organization that markets to low income and ethnically diverse people, some key words that a computer will pick up are "underserved", "non-profit", "multicultural", "volunteer". Even though this isnt a job, there are so many applying that I would imagine it would be difficult to review everybody so there has to be some kind of way to weed people out. It's kinda unfair, but I would assume the key words would be most important in the essays rather than the resume/CV since it's not a job but rather a scholarship.
+1

Did anyone who did NOT see the inquiry on CreditKarma saw it on the Annual Credit Report? I cant see the inquiry on CreditKarma, and the Annual Credit Report doesn't let me view my report online at all.. it says I have to do it by mail in order to view it

So I'm wondering if it's possible that my credit was checked even though I can't see it on Credit Karma..

Or is this a good time to give up? :(

Did anyone who did NOT see the inquiry on CreditKarma saw it on the Annual Credit Report? I cant see the inquiry on CreditKarma, and the Annual Credit Report doesn't let me view my report online at all.. it says I have to do it by mail in order to view it

So I'm wondering if it's possible that my credit was checked even though I can't see it on Credit Karma..

Lol give up. It would be on credit karma. Join the club though ;)

Hello. Where were you back in March with this information? Lol

I have been a social worker for over 4 years now, I work in a major city and see the clients that attend these clinics with a HRSA score over 17-18. I visit them in their homes, which can range from housing projects to boarded up buildings they are force to squat in to bed bug infested apartments. In four years I have probably had close to 8,000-9,000 hours of direct patient to patient contact, filling out applications for Medicaid/Medicaid HMOS, talking about health/care plans/ability to complete personal care tasks, completing home service applications, etc. I often talk to staff from these clinics (including physicians, CRNPs, PAs, etc) about current and future care plans and about how we can work together for these needs. I have seen the obstacles in the way of a low income family/senior/adult attempting to see a physician and follow their orders. However, I don't actually KNOW it first hand and I don't fit the disadvantaged status.

Nevertheless, my ego was definitely bruised when I did not receive a credit check. I think it was a bit narcissistic of me to think that I had a good chance because of my experience, especially since the competition is people who have actually had a disadvantaged place in life (not just through work). My application was complete (I've reviewed it now about 4 times). All paperwork was submitted, recommendation letters followed all guidelines.

Your idea about "continuation" makes complete sense, and I couldn't have put it better myself! I'm just wondering what counts as valid experience.

It should show up on credit karma. Join the club. Better luck to us next year!

Can someone who has already received this scholarship in previous years contact their inside sources at NHSC and put an end to the credit check speculations? It would be really helpful :)

I wouldn't rely too much on CreditKarma. They have had many lawsuits filed against them in the past. Go ahead and pull your credit report from Annual Credit Report. I believe you can do three reports (one from each agency) per year. If it's not letting you see it online, try calling.

I have a question for you guys that have applied for this thing. I'm definitely planning on applying for it next cycle, and I'm also considering applying for the HPSP military scholarships. Do people ever apply for both? I'd much prefer the NHSC scholarship, so what happens if the military accepts me and I don't know if the NHSC people accept me? I have a friend who got the NHSC scholarship and they literally told him after his first day of dental school, haha.