NHSC Loan Repayment- Any way around this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bernardo_11

I like Popeye's Chicken.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone. I had a question regarding prior obligations. I am currently employed at one of the listed public health centers that qualify for the Loan Repayment program. As a medical student though, I was awarded a local regents scholarship which merely requires me to work in this locality as a form of repayment (be it private practice or even a grocery bagger). How strict is the "No prior obligation" requirement for the loan repayment program? Especially, as in my case, where the prior obligation would not at all impede on me serving out this reward?

Nardo

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, good question. I would phone the NHSC call centre and ask them but I'm sure that the terms of the scholarship you've received sound as though they only impose a geographical requirement. I'm sure that since you're already employed at a NHSC-approved site, you can apply for loan repayment.

Worst case is by the time you finish residency your clinic wouldn't have the funds to hire you. The less worst case is NHSC rejects your application based on your other obligation. If that's the case, it's still not a big deal if you're planning to stay at that clinic anyhow, you just start your LRP after you've fulfilled your obligation for the regents. My impression is that NHSC is mostly concerned about military obligations or IHS scholarships. They don't like double dipping (getting 2 repayments for the price of one), or delaying your start date.