NHSC Scholarship & Private Dental Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pop_P8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience being awarded the NHSC Scholarship?

I applied and I'm going to a private dental school where the cost is upward of 100K and I'm wondering if they even give the scholarship to someone going to private schools because the tuition is so high.

Anyone have any insight on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I received the scholarship paying roughly that much as an out of state student.

Reactions: 1 user
I received the scholarship paying roughly that much as an out of state student.

That must have been an amazing feeling. How many years did you request? And if you've started your service requirement, did you get a say about where you would be placed?

Members don't see this ad :)
That must have been an amazing feeling. How many years did you request? And if you've started your service requirement, did you get a say about where you would be placed?

I'm pretty sure most of the people that apply are from private schools/out of state, for obvious reasons, so don't worry too much. I did 4 years since the student loan pay off is so huge. I haven't started but I know that you have complete say in where you want to work. The only time you get placed somewhere is if after something like 6 months you haven't started working sonewhere, something like that. You decide from a list of hundreds of sites that are hiring and submit your
application like any other job and see if you get hired. It's very different from the military.

I'm pretty sure most of the people that apply are from private schools/out of state, for obvious reasons, so don't worry too much. I did 4 years since the student loan pay off is so huge. I haven't started but I know that you have complete say in where you want to work. The only time you get placed somewhere is if after something like 6 months you haven't started working sonewhere, something like that. You decide from a list of hundreds of sites that are hiring and submit your
application like any other job and see if you get hired. It's very different from the military.
Thank you so much for this information! :)

I was just notified today that I'm a finalist and potential recipient! How cool lol I didn't know that before I asked the questions. The email said it's not a guarantee that I get the award but still... good news nonetheles!

I was just notified today that I'm a finalist and potential recipient! How cool lol I didn't know that before I asked the questions. The email said it's not a guarantee that I get the award but still... good news nonetheles!

Congrats! It's not a guarantee, but it pretty much means you got it.

I applied and I'm going to a private dental school where the cost is upward of 100K and I'm wondering if they even give the scholarship to someone going to private schools because the tuition is so high.

Yes, you can receive the scholarship even if you are attending an expensive private school.

Do I apply for the scholarship the summer before I start dental school if I want the full 4 years?

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Do I apply for the scholarship the summer before I start dental school if I want the full 4 years?
It seems you apply once you are enrolled in your final year of dental school... So, no?

It seems you apply once you are enrolled in your final year of dental school... So, no?
I believe this is true for the loan repayment program but you can apply before you start school for the scholarship which covers tuition, fees, and a stipend every month while in school.

Reactions: 1 users
I believe this is true for the loan repayment program but you can apply before you start school for the scholarship which covers tuition, fees, and a stipend every month while in school.
Good to know!

You can still receive the scholarship if you attend an expensive private school.

Is there a 3 year version to this?

(sorry I probably could google it but I trust fellow SDN'ers over my search engining abilities)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile