NHSC Scholarship Program 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how to find out what our application ID is? NHSC requests for this ID on the cover sheet that has to be returned with your packet.

Thanks for the insight.

It's in the email after Step 5. It reads like this:

Your Application ID Number is XXXX (4 digits #)....and then they say:
Fax all materials to 301-XXX-XXXX

Members don't see this ad.

It's in the email after Step 5. It reads like this:

Your Application ID Number is XXXX (4 digits #)....and then they say:
Fax all materials to 301-XXX-XXXX

Thanks alot!...and Congrats to you!!!

Dang. I didn't get an email. :( I'm thinking this means my chances are slim to none now. I was really hoping for a better chance at the scholarship.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, has anyone in the dental field received notification either way? Maybe they do med first and then dents.

So, has anyone in the dental field received notification either way? Maybe they do med first and then dents.

Both myself and my friend who is in my dental class received notification that we are finalists.

For the finalists who have faxed the final paperwork -- have any of you received an email confirmation of their receipt or change in your portal status? I am probably just being a spaz, but I'm worried that it somehow got lost in space :p

For the finalists who have faxed the final paperwork -- have any of you received an email confirmation of their receipt or change in your portal status? I am probably just being a spaz, but I'm worried that it somehow got lost in space :p

A few minutes after I faxed my documents, I called and they were able to confirm their receipt. Make sure you have your application ID number handy!

Both myself and my friend who is in my dental class received notification that we are finalists.

Ahhh bummer...but congrats to you though that has to be great news! I was surely hoping this would come through!

Ahhh bummer...but congrats to you though that has to be great news! I was surely hoping this would come through!

Thanks! don't lose faith yet, though... I did some forum searches and found a couple of old posts that alluded to the idea that they stagger finalist e-mails for some unknown reason.

I am a graduate student getting my MSN in Nurse midwifery and Women's Health NP, I was notifed last friday that I too am a finalist! Lots of my questions were answered by browsing through and seems like other are also worried about the same things I am. I am very appreciative that this forum is around. I couldnt find another space where folks are talking so much about this Scholarship program & how frustrating it can be. Thanks for the advice in calling to confirm the faxed materials were recieved. I sent my materials in today but didnt do that, I will definitly do that tomorow morning!

I hope to recieve an award, my finger & toes are crossed! Good luck to all those selected as finalists!

A few minutes after I faxed my documents, I called and they were able to confirm their receipt. Make sure you have your application ID number handy!

What number did you call, robu? I was a little paranoid myself, and tried to call to confirm. The girl at the call center told me she couldn't verify receipt, and not so subtly implied that I was an idiot for not trusting my fax printout.

I also called the help line and they told me the same thing... They would not confirm recipt of my faxed materials!

What number did you call, robu? I was a little paranoid myself, and tried to call to confirm. The girl at the call center told me she couldn't verify receipt, and not so subtly implied that I was an idiot for not trusting my fax printout.

i called 800-435-6464...first, an operator answered the phone and transferred me twice. Then, someone answered me and asked for my application ID and was able to confirm the receipt of my documents.

Remember that I did that on Monday. Perhaps, they got inundated with calls and decided not to check their faxes anymore!

Members don't see this ad :)
Today @ 5pm is the deadline to fax the requested documents!

When I talked to a NHSC administrator on Monday, I remembered she said that they're having a committee meeting this Friday. It's possible that we can hear from them either this Friday or Monday.

Only time will tell if this is indeed true!

Last edited:
Today @ 5pm is the deadline to fax the requested documents!

When I talked to an NHSC administrator on Monday, I remembered she said that they're having a committee meeting this Friday. It's possible that we can hear from them either this Friday or Monday.

Only time will tell if this is indeed true!

Interesting! Did she say that we might hear on Fri or Mon, or did you get that from the fact that they are meeting on Friday?

Hahaha.... I just called that 800 number. The lady I spoke with sounded extremely tired (maybe of answering the same question over and over.) Anyhoo, she said that they will not confirm receipt of faxes, but that the NHSC will let us know before 09/29 if we're missing documentation.

Interesting! Did she say that we might hear on Fri or Mon, or did you get that from the fact that they are meeting on Friday?

This is my hunch:

I think those who are "waitlisted" might hear from the NHSC soon (of course, they don't publish this list), possibility friday afternoon at the earliest. I have the impression that the committee will meet this Friday to review their finalist list (per my conversation with someone at the NHSC and I hope they know what they're talking about). Those who returned their documents on time might be awarded the scholarship. Those who did not, they will be rejected, and whoever on the waiting-list will get their place.

Again, above is my hunch and is noway representing NHSC committee's thinking.

I can't wait to see if people can confirm my hypothesis comes Friday afternoon or Mondayish..

the NHSC will let us know before 09/29 if we're missing documentation.

This is to be politically correct! I strongly believe that we might hear from them by next week! Only time will tell if I am right!

Robu, I hope you're right! I've been second-guessing my fax all day! I sent it back immediately, I have the transmission report, but paranoia is setting in. I haven't been able to check (stuck in path lab all day).

Hoping and praying we hear great news soon!

Robu, I hope you're right! I've been second-guessing my fax all day! I sent it back immediately, I have the transmission report, but paranoia is setting in. I haven't been able to check (stuck in path lab all day).

Hoping and praying we hear great news soon!

I would not be worried much! As long as you took care Step 1 of the email, where you certified your continued interest in receiving the NHSC Scholarship, you would be fine. Say, they didn't receive your fax, they would have to find out your intentions! Here is why: this is because it would create a conflict: yes, you have an interest in the scholarship and yet you haven't faxed the documents by the allotted time frame. Thus, they would have to call to find out if there is any confusion on your part! Agree?

Last edited:
Yes, I agree! What school do you attend? I'm at UIC

I'm a finalist, too. I tried to call on Wednesday to verify receipt of my fax (faxed Friday) but no one called me until someone called this afternoon to confirm that I don't want 3 years of support. I asked when decision would be made and he said late next week.

I'm a finalist, too. I tried to call on Wednesday to verify receipt of my fax (faxed Friday) but no one called me until someone called this afternoon to confirm that I don't want 3 years of support. I asked when decision would be made and he said late next week.

So far, so good! I need a pat on my back..lol

First..I predicted that we will know of a decision by Friday or early next week, not by the politically correct date of Sept 29.

Second, I also predicted that as long as step 1 is answered correctly, if they had any questions or your fax did not transmit correctly, they would call you.

So far, check, check!! lol

Yes, Robu, you were right, your logic did help me over the past few days. I have been obsessively googling the odds of being a finalist and NOT getting a scholarship but haven't found any information. I had signed promissory notes for about $69K for this year, I'll still need some loans for living expenses but way less. Now I just have to wait til Labor Day weekend!

Yes, Robu, you were right, your logic did help me over the past few days. I have been obsessively googling the odds of being a finalist and NOT getting a scholarship but haven't found any information. I had signed promissory notes for about $69K for this year, I'll still need some loans for living expenses but way less. Now I just have to wait til Labor Day weekend!

I browsed SDN for NHSC related threads and it seems that most people received their first paycheck by early november. At the current pace that they are going, I think we will get ours earlier this year, assuming that "Finalist" label that they ascribed to us was really a political correct term to see whether or not we will accept their scholarship before they make their "final, final" decision!

PS: I still believe that we might hear from them by tomorrow, not by labor day weekend! I still have that gut feeling! We will see!

I browsed SDN for NHSC related threads and it seems that most people received their first paycheck by early november. At the current pace that they are going, I think we will get ours earlier this year, assuming that "Finalist" label that they ascribed to us was really a political correct term to see whether or not we will accept their scholarship before they make their "final, final" decision!

PS: I still believe that we might hear from them by tomorrow, not by labor day weekend! I still have that gut feeling! We will see!

I really hope the "finalist" label is just a formality, and that all people who received the notification will be awarded if they filled everything they needed to out. That would be awesome! I feel so presumptuous thinking that, though. Is it me or does it seem like there are more finalists on here this year than previous years?

I know this would be a long shot, but is there anyone who reads this that was a finalist in the past who was NOT awarded?

I really hope the "finalist" label is just a formality, and that all people who received the notification will be awarded if they filled everything they needed to out. That would be awesome! I feel so presumptuous thinking that, though. Is it me or does it seem like there are more finalists on here this year than previous years?

I know this would be a long shot, but is there anyone who reads this that was a finalist in the past who was NOT awarded?

It seems that the way they describe finalist this year is different from the previous years. So, I think we might compare apples with oranges!

I understand with the tuition! I'm at 55,000 per year, but I have loans from undergrad and post bac. The scholarship is much needed! I was leaning on IM, but I'm really intrigued by Family Medicine. It will be either one. The only sub-specialty I'm considering if Geriatrics, and I can do that through either family or IM.

You have me sold, Robu! I'm totally thinking positive just like you :)

It seems that the way they describe finalist this year is different from the previous years. So, I think we might compare apples with oranges!

wait, so are you thinking that not all "finalists" who express continued interest will be awarded?

wait, so are you thinking that not all "finalists" who express continued interest will be awarded?

No! Last year, both finalist and waitlisters were informed of their status at the same time. This year, I think they are doing things differently, i.e., only inform the finalists. Perhaps, they have new administrators or protocols, but who knows!

Therefore, I will be refraining from comparing last year process with this year! But nonetheless, I will be VERY surprised if there is ONE finalist with expressed interest in the scholarship that is NOT awarded it! It would defy logic!!

I understand with the tuition! I'm at 55,000 per year, but I have loans from undergrad and post bac. The scholarship is much needed! I was leaning on IM, but I'm really intrigued by Family Medicine. It will be either one. The only sub-specialty I'm considering if Geriatrics, and I can do that through either family or IM.

You have me sold, Robu! I'm totally thinking positive just like you :)

I think you are making the right choice. At my school, we do our first rotation at the end of the first year (nice, isn't?). I did mime at Downstate's FM this past Spring. Quite frankly, I was shocked because FM sees everyone..from pregnant mothers (and even deliver babies), infant, adolescent, and geriatric patients. We saw everyone! So, I don't see the point to do a Geriatric fellowship. However, if you were doing the IM tract, you would definitely need to do one.

Last edited:
Robu, I'll go with your gut feeling, even though I think they're all going to want to get out of work and evacuate for the hurricane (they're in Rockville, Maryland). You were right twice today already.

This just occured to me: do you think the "finalist" group will be split into winners and wait-listed?

This just occured to me: do you think the "finalist" group will be split into winners and wait-listed?

I've wondered this as well... Based off searching the forums, I haven't seen anyone from previous years who were finalists that didn't receive the scholarship. I don't know if this is purely coincidental though...

Robu, I'll go with your gut feeling, even though I think they're all going to want to get out of work and evacuate for the hurricane (they're in Rockville, Maryland). You were right twice today already.

Nope! I don't think so! Ask yourself this: In what criteria based on the requested documents would they split up the group as "winners" and "wait-listed?"

I think if everyone of the finalists have expressed an interest in the scholarship and faxed in their contracts and stuffs, it would be the end of the process. All would been awarded the scholarship. However, if a few of these finalists have cold feet, then they would go down their unpublished "waitinglist" and offered them the opening spot.

I think they want to see how many people would accept their offer before making it officially! Strange way to do business but I understand them and it makes sense. Say, i chose you as a recipient for this scholarship. However, despite my repeated calls/emails to you, you did not reply. In the meantime, I have other people waiting, people that I can offer your spot if you decline. I would have been frustrated because you're holding the process up. For one, I am not sure if you don't have access to my emails or you're simply ignoring me since you no longer interested in this scholarship. So, I think this year they have a different strategy, one where the putative recipient has to be proactive. They give you just 5 days and if they don't hear from you, they assume that you are not interested as oppose to play the waiting game!

Last edited:
Nope! I don't think so! Ask yourself this: In what criteria based on the requested documents would they split up the group as "winners" and "wait-listed?"

I think if everyone of the finalists have expressed an interest in the scholarship and faxed in their contracts and stuffs, it would be the end of the process. All would been awarded the scholarship. However, if a few of these finalists have cold feet, then they would go down their unpublished "waitinglist" and offered them the opening spot.

I think they want to see how many people would accept their offer before making it officially! Strange way to do business but I understand them and it makes sense. Say, i chose you as a recipient for this scholarship. However, despite my repeated calls/emails to you, you did not reply. In the meantime, I have other people waiting, people that I can offer your spot if you decline. I would have been frustrated because you're holding the process up. For one, I am not sure if you don't have access to my emails or you're simply ignoring me since you no longer interested in this scholarship. So, I think this year they have a different strategy, one where the putative recipient has to be proactive. They give you just 5 days and if they don't hear from you, they assume that you are not interested as oppose to play the waiting game!

Definitely makes sense! I hope you're right... That'd be awesome!

Hey guys! I'm a finalist too. I keep refreshing my email and the NHSC login site. I'm so nervous!

Another obsessive checker here! I don't think we're going to hear anything today, between whatever they have to do to notify us (email? Regular mail?) and the incoming hurricane, I bet they're going to work on this next week. It would be great to know before I start school September 6.

Nothing from my side yet! It seems that Leonid is right: we will not hear from them after all this afternoon..it's already 5:10pm ET...oh well! A "check" for you, Leonid! lol

Thanks, Robu. It's back to the pre-class readings for me... unless the system refreshes at midnight and all of our status' will magically go from "final review" to "granted"???

Thanks, Robu. It's back to the pre-class readings for me... unless the system refreshes at midnight and all of our status' will magically go from "final review" to "granted"???

It's funny! I don't even check my status on NHSC website. The only place I check is SDN...So, I rely on you, people: whenever you get news, please post it on SDN as soon as you can!!!

Well don't bother checking the site, it's down until tomorrow at 4 pm. Maybe that means they are updating all of our status'! :laugh: I guess that's their way of telling me to stop checking for a day or so.

I was sad to see I wasn't granted a finalist spot. I'm just hoping at this point that someone gets cold feet and I'm high on the list of those wait listed.

The site is still down.... this is torture!

The site is still down.... this is torture!
I'm thinking the delay has to do with the hurricane. Maybe the techies took off b/f making the site available again?

I feel you... I've been checking like crazy!

Robu and all: sleep well, site is still down. I blame Irene and Irene alone. Damage wasn't too extensive out there so NHSC and mailroom staff will hopefully be at work safe and sound, ready to send us awesome news.

Got some good news today....indirectly.....

over 6000 students applied this year

Still waiting for the official news.

Last edited:
Wow... where can one find information like that?

Got some good news today....indirectly.....

over 6000 students applied this year

Still waiting for the official news.

Lol don't leave us hanging! What kind of indirect news did you receive!?

I got a call from my advisor, who got a call from NHSC for clarification of my enrollment status..