NHSC Scholarship Program 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This link might help...

http://www.hrsa.gov/about/budget/summarybudgetjust2012.pdf

It looks like they are requesting 277 million more dollars than FY2011... Lets keep our fingers crossed that congress passes the budget!

Awesome, Atticus! Our scholarship money will come from the FY2012 budget, not the FY2011!!!! Then, it makes absolutely sense why they can't commit until after October 1st. However, they can "guess-estimated" whether their budget request would be approved by talking to an appropriation committee aide if they were to grant the scholarship prior to Oct. 1st. Hmm, it all makes sense now!!!

That's why I love this site, we all add a little bit of this or that to complete the puzzle!

Members don't see this ad.

This link might help...

http://www.hrsa.gov/about/budget/summarybudgetjust2012.pdf

It looks like they are requesting 277 million more dollars than FY2011... Lets keep our fingers crossed that congress passes the budget!

If they're requesting more $$$, it means that they are granting more scholarships this year than the previous year...So, then, I may have to eat my crow!!:laugh:

EatCrow1.jpg

Last edited:
This is what the document that Atticus posted stated:

National Health Service Corps (NHSC) (+$277.057 million)
This request includes $295 million in mandatory funding from the Affordable Care Act. This budget will support a Field Strength of 10,683. This will fund 389 scholars and 2,971 loan repayers.

In FY 2010, the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) had a field strength of 7,530 primary care clinicians. The NHSC projects that a field strength of 10,683 primary care clinicians will be in health professional shortage areas in FY 2012. Increasing the NHSC field strength is one of the Administration's Priority Goal

Funding for the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) has led to significant efforts to increase the number of loan repayment contracts for service in underserved areas, as well as NHSC Scholarships.

Members don't see this ad :)
Notsosuperman, there is link promulgated here on how to check your credit report for free on either page 2 or 3 of this thread!

Can you check when did NHSC do a credit check on you??

If it was on Aug 15 as was the case with all of us the "original" finalist, then I think it means that you were also an original finalist but you got your notification late!

If in fact they did a credit check on you on the 15th, then I am inclined to go with my 2nd theory that NHSC lumps us in their FY2012 budget proposal!
They did a credit check on Aug 15.

I'm not sure if I belong in this forum; I'm going to be an NP student beginning Monday--but I also applied for the NHSC scholarship and am in the Final Review.

I talked to the office today and they said we should hear by the end of next week.

FINGERS CROSSED, because whether I get the scholarship will determine whether I'll be in school full-time or part-time and the deadline to finish registration at my school is Friday of next week! Yikes!!

Also, I was under the impression we hear via snail mail; are we supposed to get an email with the final decision as well? I'm paranoid about the mail not making it to my place! (My post office is UBER sub-par)

If they're requesting more $$$, it means that they are granting more scholarships this year than the previous year...So, then, I may have to eat my crow!!:laugh:

They may be granting more scholarships, they may not.

I believe that they will likely expand the Loan Repayment Program over the Scholarship. That's what they've said in past years, and, given that they increased how much they are paying per year for the LRP, I can believe it.

That being said, it's really just a waiting game. If you don't get the scholarship this year, you can apply the following year. If you don't ever get the scholarship at all, well, there are benefits to that too. There were quite a few times during my med school career that I strongly regretted getting the scholarship.

So, don't worry so much about the scholarship. Take a deep breath, enjoy the last bit of summer, have a beer, take in a baseball game, etc. :)

This is what the document that Atticus posted stated:

National Health Service Corps (NHSC) (+$277.057 million)
This request includes $295 million in mandatory funding from the Affordable Care Act. This budget will support a Field Strength of 10,683. This will fund 389 scholars and 2,971 loan repayers.

In FY 2010, the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) had a field strength of 7,530 primary care clinicians. The NHSC projects that a field strength of 10,683 primary care clinicians will be in health professional shortage areas in FY 2012. Increasing the NHSC field strength is one of the Administration’s Priority Goal

Funding for the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) has led to significant efforts to increase the number of loan repayment contracts for service in underserved areas, as well as NHSC Scholarships.

So, the request for the increase in funding is with the Affordable Care Act ... I sincerely hope Congress and conservatives don't act a fool about passing the increase and we're all awarded.

Thinking positively! (and praying)

They may be granting more scholarships, they may not.

I believe that they will likely expand the Loan Repayment Program over the Scholarship. That's what they've said in past years, and, given that they increased how much they are paying per year for the LRP, I can believe it.

That being said, it's really just a waiting game. If you don't get the scholarship this year, you can apply the following year. If you don't ever get the scholarship at all, well, there are benefits to that too. There were quite a few times during my med school career that I strongly regretted getting the scholarship.

So, don't worry so much about the scholarship. Take a deep breath, enjoy the last bit of summer, have a beer, take in a baseball game, etc. :)

That sounds more likely. They've already announced that they expected to offer half the number of scholarships they did last year.

Last edited:
I read this thread from time to time and just wanted to share some information and some of my experiences with all of you regarding NHSC.

I applied for the scholarship and received it while I was in medical school. My service requirement will be three years. I am a pediatrician and will be starting my service at a clinic in the Baltimore Metro Area.

A few points to remember:
The majority of the funding allocated for NHSC through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act is being earmarked for the Loan Repayment program. I know this based on information I have read on HHS website as well as what I was told during the Scholars conference in Atlanta last year.

If you do not receive the scholarship, do consider loan repayment. There are many, many, many more job opportunities for Loan Repayors because the sites where Loan Repayors work have no minimum HPSA. Scholars must be get a job at a site with a minimum HPSA of 16 for this placement cycle. There is also a part time option for those who want to work full time.

Also consider state options for loan repayment as well as asking potential employers if they will include loan repayment in your contract. Honestly dealing with the NHSC is essentially akin to dealing with a federal agency. Calls are not returned, questions are not answered, advice and support are not rendered as promised.

Be aware the majority of positions available to Loan Repayors and Scholars are in Family Medicine and Internal Medicine. Most sites prefer FPs bc they can see adults and children which lowers costs for community health centers so they don't need to hire an internist and a pediatrician and an OB.

Be aware that many, many, many of the positions available on the jobs opportunities website are in rural areas. As a scholar you have to be diligent, proactive and work very very hard to find a site in an urban area. In essence make sure you are aware of what you are getting into before you sign on the dotted line. The allure of money to pay for med school is very very very appealing especially if you are certain you want to go into primary care like I was. However, honestly if I had to do it again, I would have never accepted the scholarship. For those of you applying who have experienced issues with the process, please be aware that once you are in the program you will continue to have issues depending on which advisor you are assigned and which area of medicine you plan to practice and where in the nation you want to practice. There are many things to consider, especially if you have a family like I do.

Please be aware that state loan repayment is an option for those of you who will have tons of student loan debt after you finish residency. Public Service Loan Forgiveness is also an option if you sign up for Income Based Repayment while in residency because after 10 years of consecutive payments and employment in certain fields/agencies the balance on your loans is forgiven.

Best of luck to all of you. Hope this sheds some light on what its really like to be a part of the National Health Service Corps.

Thanks for your insight. I would think (or at least hope!) that NHSC would have been mindful of the additional funding going for loan repayment b/f notifying finalists. It seems even more competitive to get into the Loan Repayment prgm.

We shall see! 16 days to go

Hey all, I've been following this thread and wanted to let you guys know that I received a finalist notification yesterday! Woo! I'm wicked excited esp after thinking things were looking kind of bleak since most everyone else seemed to hear a couple weeks ago. I got a call yesterday around noon followed by an email and I had to have all the forms signed and scanned in by today at 3pm. So based on that timeframe it seems like things really are getting down to the wire, but I'm feeling super optimistic now and am hoping for the best for everyone!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I've been following this thread and wanted to let you guys know that I received a finalist notification yesterday! Woo! I'm wicked excited esp after thinking things were looking kind of bleak since most everyone else seemed to hear a couple weeks ago. I got a call yesterday around noon followed by an email and I had to have all the forms signed and scanned in by today at 3pm. So based on that timeframe it seems like things really are getting down to the wire, but I'm feeling super optimistic now and am hoping for the best for everyone!!
Wow, congratulations! That is seriously awesome. I think this serves as further suggestion that finalists=award recipients... Why would they bother calling you and having you meet a specific deadline for submission if they were just going to put you in a big finalists pool and later decide who the will choose to receive the scholarship.

Things are definitely looking good.

Fingers crossed:xf:

Wow, congratulations! That is seriously awesome. I think this serves as further suggestion that finalists=award recipients... Why would they bother calling you and having you meet a specific deadline for submission if they were just going to put you in a big finalists pool and later decide who the will choose to receive the scholarship.

Thanks! Yeah that's been my logic on the situation too. They basically asked me on the phone if I should to the scholarship would I accept it. When I said I would, that's when they said they'd send me an email with the required forms to complete by no later than 3 pm tomorrow. The man on the phone said rather than faxing my materials it would be expedite the process if I just scanned them and emailed them to him directly. So I agree that things are looking good! But then again I definitely don't want to get my hopes up too high about it because nothing's ever a sure thing. A lot can happen between now and when the final acceptances and rejections come out. My fingers are definitely crossed though and I'm feeling optimistic!

Thanks! Yeah that's been my logic on the situation too. They basically asked me on the phone if I should to the scholarship would I accept it. When I said I would, that's when they said they'd send me an email with the required forms to complete by no later than 3 pm tomorrow. The man on the phone said rather than faxing my materials it would be expedite the process if I just scanned them and emailed them to him directly. So I agree that things are looking good! But then again I definitely don't want to get my hopes up too high about it because nothing's ever a sure thing. A lot can happen between now and when the final acceptances and rejections come out. My fingers are definitely crossed though and I'm feeling optimistic!

When did they do a background check on you?

Unless it means that some failed their final reviews :p

Not that I think that it's what happened, but honestly, we don't know enough about the process to make more than educated guesses. Like many have stated: this is a bureaucratic entity. How they do things doesn't necessarily have to make sense.

Unless it means that some failed their final reviews :p

Not that I think that it's what happened, but honestly, we don't know enough about the process to make more than educated guesses. Like many have stated: this is a bureaucratic entity. How they do things doesn't necessarily have to make sense.

Oh God! Don't say that! The anxiety is too damn high!

I'm wondering whether or not I should call them. I never called to confirm whether they received my faxed forms... or not. Ahhh. But they would have called or email if I was incomplete or there was something wrong, ... right??

Oh God! Don't say that! The anxiety is too damn high!

I'm wondering whether or not I should call them. I never called to confirm whether they received my faxed forms... or not. Ahhh. But they would have called or email if I was incomplete or there was something wrong, ... right??

I would hope so! I also never called to confirm receipt of my documents. BUT, I have my fax cover sheet, and I'm constantly telling myself to calm down and be patient.

Look at the plus side ... 15 days/2 weeks to go!!!

Hey guys,
Did anyone hear from NHSC today? Someone from my school got a call telling her that she will hear by the end of the week. I thought it was weird that she called to tell her that she would hear...Any thoughts, who else got a call?

Last edited:
Hey guys,
Did anyone hear from NHSC today? Someone from my school got a call from Ms. Hill telling her that she will hear by the end of the week. I thought it was weird that she called to tell her that she would hear...Any thoughts, who else got a call?

I haven't heard a word! I'm wondering if the person from your school called her initially, and Ms. Hill returned her call telling her that? That'd be super random for someone from the NHSC to call a single applicant out of the blue to tell them that news is coming....

I haven't heard a word! I'm wondering if the person from your school called her initially, and Ms. Hill returned her call telling her that? That'd be super random for someone from the NHSC to call a single applicant out of the blue to tell them that news is coming....

I know! Weird, right? But this girl said that she did not call them first. The whole thing freaked the crap out of me. Hopefully others will also say that they were not called.

I haven't heard anything since the phone call from Frank in mid August that I referred to in an earlier post. My status still says "final review" as of about 30 seconds ago.

I did not get a call but was contacted yesterday (via email and phone call) about an error in how I dated the contract and asked to resend a signed contract ASAP. The person sent me an email to say that my re-signed contract has been received and "congratulations" which I suppose is unofficial good news. So things are moving along and it looks as if they are gearing up to send out official word.

I did not get a call but was contacted yesterday (via email and phone call) about an error in how I dated the contract and asked to resend a signed contract ASAP. The person sent me an email to say that my re-signed contract has been received and "congratulations" which I suppose is unofficial good news. So things are moving along and it looks as if they are gearing up to send out official word.

Very cool. (Unofficial) congratulations!

I've been checking the Senate Appropriations Committee - in theory, as soon as they approve the HHS budget, funding for the NHSC scholarships will be set in stone. Looks like the committee is meeting at 2:30PM today to discuss. Based on how quickly they approve budgets for other groups, the HHS budget should be cleared by Thursday/Friday - which makes final notification very possible by the end of this week/next week.

http://appropriations.senate.gov/news.cfm?method=news.view&id=8143d121-efb2-4c7a-92d6-6c6235813944

I haven't heard anything since the phone call from Frank in mid August that I referred to in an earlier post. My status still says "final review" as of about 30 seconds ago.

Sorry to be behind things but I can't figure out how to check my status on the NHSC website. What steps did you guys take to do it? Thanks.

I've been checking the Senate Appropriations Committee - in theory, as soon as they approve the HHS budget, funding for the NHSC scholarships will be set in stone. Looks like the committee is meeting at 2:30PM today to discuss. Based on how quickly they approve budgets for other groups, the HHS budget should be cleared by Thursday/Friday - which makes final notification very possible by the end of this week/next week.

http://appropriations.senate.gov/news.cfm?method=news.view&id=8143d121-efb2-4c7a-92d6-6c6235813944

Good investigating!

Not really! It just passes the subcommittee or the full committee....whatever the "senate panel" means...full senate? it does not seem so!!! But still that's a good sign to the point that they can go ahead and notify the scholarship recipient!!!

So, what I think will happen (and I'm not sure, b/c politics just confuses me) is however the approval goes, it avoids going before full senate or congress. It gets approved as discretionary funds so that a formal vote before congress doesn't have to happen; instead, it just needs committee approval. I guess that's why they're able to schedule the hearing so late, just days before the FY begins.

Not sure how this would impact the NHSC!

Would it cause a delay in us receiving the award letter/email notification and/or scholarship disbursement; would it cause significant reduction on the number of scholarships they offer; or both? Or Maybe it would absolutely have no impact on the NHSC!!!

----
On Wednesday (sept 21), the House voted to reject a short-term budget bill that would have allowed the federal government to remain open through November 18.

Should the current stalemate remain unresolved the federal government will run out of funds to operate beyond September 30

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/21/government-shutdown-looms_n_974755.html

Last edited:
I spoke to my academic advisor today after she asked me if I heard from the NHSC. I told her no, and she said, "Well I emailed them and asked when you all should hear back." The person she contacted, who was the same person who emailed her for clarification of my full time student status (whom also stated in the email that she let me read, that I was a recipient) let her know that we "should" hear something before the end of the week.

Well tomorrow is the end of the work week so here's to hoping we all hear some good news! :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

I spoke to my academic advisor today after she asked me if I heard from the NHSC. I told her no, and she said, "Well I emailed them and asked when you all should hear back." The person she contacted, who was the same person who emailed her for clarification of my full time student status (whom also stated in the email that she let me read, that I was a recipient) let her know that we "should" hear something before the end of the week.

Well tomorrow is the end of the work week so here's to hoping we all hear some good news! :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Exciting... We're definitely getting down to the wire! :xf: Good luck all!

....get the official email

---------

Dear Scholar,

Congratulations and Welcome to the National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program Class of 2011!

We are pleased to inform you that you have been awarded a scholarship with the National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program (NHSC SP). Your award letter is attached to this email.

In a few weeks, you will be receiving a welcome kit, mailed to your permanent address, with a copy of your signed contract and important details about the scholarship program including instructions on how your school can submit invoices to NHSC SP for payment of your tuition and fees. You will receive the first payment of your monthly stipend and a one-time payment for Other Reasonable Costs (ORC) by the second week of November 2011.

A New Scholar Welcome conference call will be held on October X, 2011 at 10:00 am and again at 4:00 pm ET for your convenience. Please plan to participate in one of these sessions. The call-in number is 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX; Participant Access Code: XXXXX
In addition, you are invited and strongly encouraged to attend the upcoming NHSC SP New Scholar Conference, which will be held in New Orleans, LA on October XX-XX, 2011. This is a great opportunity to learn more about the program and meet your fellow scholars. The NHSC will fund your travel costs including air fare, lodging, ground transportation, meals, and incidentals to attend this conference per Federal Travel Regulations.

The conference registration website is https:// Please register today!

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us by phone at 301-XXX-XXXX or 1-800-XXX-XXXX by email at @hrsa.gov or via the NHSC SP Customer Service Portal (https://)

Again, welcome to the NHSC SP class of 2011 and we wish you a successful school year!

The National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program

Got the acceptance email too! But I have a question - though I applied for 4 years of funding/service, in the attached award letter it lists Year in Program: 1. Does that mean that I am only receiving the scholarship for 1 year? Can I add on additional years if this is the case? Below it however, it also says: Graduation Date: 5/31/2015, Contract End Date: 6/30/2015. Was I granted the scholarship for 4 years or just 1? I'm just a little confused.. any insight?

Got the acceptance email too! But I have a question - though I applied for 4 years of funding/service, in the attached award letter it lists Year in Program: 1. Does that mean that I am only receiving the scholarship for 1 year? Can I add on additional years if this is the case?

That means you are just starting school. I am a third year, and I show up as a 3 in that spot.

I haven't gotten an email... maybe because I'm a PA student (I hope)...

Got the email as well! Congrats all!

I am a dental student as well (if that helps with others trying to figure out notification timing)

I got it too! What a relief! Congrats everyone!

I just got the email! North Dakota, here I come in 2013! I have class 8-5 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, might have a hard time making that conference call. I can't believe I just saved $140,000 in one email!

And it looks like most of us finalists got the email!

Let's get the roll call started!

Who are we missing so far or have yet to report their new status on SDN??

Last edited:
I have given myself permission to celebrate for 1.5 hours then back to studying for HEENT exam next week. Missing are:
-- PAGirl
-- BaseDan5
-- MaVeenRose
-- Emann
-- Sprockie530

I might be missing some others, off to celebrate briefly! Good luck to everyone, maybe I'll see you in New Orleans!

I got it!! Praise God!:):):):):):):):):):)

NO more thinking about this all the time!!!!! I can finally study, after I celebrate tonight.
Congrats to everyone!!