NHSC Scholarship Program 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't received the email.

=(

And I was notified as a finalist on aug 19.

Oh noes. This sucks. Where's my email?

Members don't see this ad.

I got the email as well!!! Hooray! I'm so happy! And I second the "Now I don't have to think about this all the time!"

Praying for all you still waiting! It ain't over till the fat lady sings, and the fat lady sings on September 30th.

Praise God. Blessings to you all! It's been lovely waiting with you. Perhaps I'll see some of you at the conference. :)

Damn. Speak of the devil. The moment I complained, the email came through. At 6 pm!!

Ahhhh.

YAYAYAYAYAYYAY!!!

cONGRATs everyone! I"m going to have a drink now.

Members don't see this ad :)
The NHSC has completed its scholarship awards for the 2011 application cycle. Applicants will be notified by September 30, 2011 if you received an award or if we were unable to fund your application. The Corps received more than 3,000 qualified applications and was only able to fund approximately 250 this year. If you do not receive an award and are still interested in the NHSC, please visit our site to be notified when the next application cycle opens, and to learn more about other opportunities including the new S2S pilot and the loan repayment program.

http://www.facebook.com/nationalhealthservicecorps

I got my acceptance e-mail today.... YA! YA! Congrads to everyone and A BIG THANKS to everyone who help me recover the forms for the scholarship that was never sent to me via e-mail .... WhOOOOO!

Is that true?

So, if you sign up for 3 years, you have 3 x 2 or 6 years payback???

Is that true?

So, if you sign up for 3 years, you have 3 x 2 or 6 years payback???

No. Year for year with a 2 year minimum. So:
1 yr scholarship = 2 yr payback
2 = 2
3 = 3
4 = 4

Btw, I think we should write our screennames under our real name on our nametags in New Orleans:).

Anyone having problems opening their congrads letter sent as an attachment in the letter? I can not open my attachment it is a zip file ? I have the congrads e-mail but cannot open the offical letter that was sent as an attachment .... Any suggestions....

baseball,

I think you have my email address! send me an email and will see if i can open it for u!

2 = 2
3 = 3
4 = 4

Btw, I think we should write our screennames under our real name on our nametags in New Orleans:).

Thank God! This thing got me worried for a second!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::thumbup:

2 = 2
3 = 3
4 = 4

I agree! I'm planning on attending.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! Just wanted to say that I was also a finalist and also received the award letter yesterday. YAY EVERYONE!

I received mine yesterday also! I'm so excited! I have a full load of classes on Thur-Fri 10/27-28, do you all know if there will be other new scholar orientations coming up?

Congrats everyone!!!!!

I got the email yesterday! Man that was a stressful wait! Anyone going to the conference in Louisiana?

I think we all definitely need to go to the conference! When do you get an all expense paid trip that your school will let you miss classes for?! Now that we are "scholars" is anyone else here from USC? I think its time we shared our identity.. or at least our schools. :)

I got the email yesterday! Man that was a stressful wait! Anyone going to the conference in Louisiana?

Luckily I don't have classes scheduled for that Friday, and Thursday is a half day.

I attend Univ of IL, and I'm a 2nd year med student.

Yes, I will attend the Louisiana conference!

Drexel University College of Medicine (DUCOM), MS2

I received mine yesterday also! I'm so excited! I have a full load of classes on Thur-Fri 10/27-28, do you all know if there will be other new scholar orientations coming up?

Congrats everyone!!!!!

I will assume that you're a PA student? I think they usually have another conference in the spring.

I don't think I can go to New Orleans, we have a huge exam on the morning of the 27th so unless I take it early or late, I don't think I can go. Which is sad because I've never been to NO. I asked my advisor but haven't heard back.

I too have an exam at that time, on the 27th, but I'm going to coordinate with my school to see if I can take it a day or two earlier. Congratulations again to everyone!

Western University of Health Sciences - COMP 2015

I will assume that you're a PA student? I think they usually have another conference in the spring.

I don't think I can go to New Orleans, we have a huge exam on the morning of the 27th so unless I take it early or late, I don't think I can go. Which is sad because I've never been to NO. I asked my advisor but haven't heard back.

You can always check to see if you can just come fri - sat! It's all expense paid! You might as well try to make it! If you can...

I too plan to attend the conference! Never been to NO...so looking forward to it!

Case Western Reserve University, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing
M.S.N; Nurse Midwifery, 2013

baseball,

I think you have my email address! send me an email and will see if i can open it for u!

Thanks, but I finally figured out how to open it now trying to decide if I am going to the conference......

Thanks for the offer ....

Thanks, but I finally figured out how to open it now trying to decide if I am going to the conference......

Thanks for the offer ....

I'm in the same boat. The program I'm in is challenging enough without missing two days of classes mid-quarter. Does anyone know what takes place during those conferences, or are they just meet and greets?

Does anyone know what takes place during those conferences, or are they just meet and greets?

Did u have a chance to check out the link in the NHSC email?? Maybe you should start there first!!!!

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. The program I'm in is challenging enough without missing two days of classes mid-quarter. Does anyone know what takes place during those conferences, or are they just meet and greets?

Agree! Missing one day, is like missing a week of class :( Do they hold meetings in the summer or during spring vacation? I hope so...

Agree! Missing one day, is like missing a week of class :( Do they hold meetings in the summer or during spring vacation? I hope so...

I had actually never attended a single NHSC meeting until the last one in Tampa. :oops: (That one is for scholars who will be graduating soon, so that one was mandatory.) I don't feel like I missed out on much by not going to those meetings.

Yeah it is stressful to miss class, but at my school we get handouts of the lectures and I will have someone record the class and then send it to me. This way I can go over the material while I am away AND I get to go to NO. You just need to think outside the box! I doubt that there will be a lot of mandatory time that we have to spend in meetings while we are there... 5 hours/day tops. :)
My friends that have been past years said they studied a lot while there.

Did u have a chance to check out the link in the NHSC email?? Maybe you should start there first!!!!

Yes, I checked out the link. Is there something wrong with your ? and ! keys?

I had actually never attended a single NHSC meeting until the last one in Tampa. :oops: (That one is for scholars who will be graduating soon, so that one was mandatory.) I don't feel like I missed out on much by not going to those meetings.

Thank you for your insight. This was exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Yeah it is stressful to miss class, but at my school we get handouts of the lectures and I will have someone record the class and then send it to me. This way I can go over the material while I am away AND I get to go to NO. You just need to think outside the box! I doubt that there will be a lot of mandatory time that we have to spend in meetings while we are there... 5 hours/day tops. :)

I know you're trying to be helpful, but we're not in the same programs, nor are we the same students. I'm at school from 8am to 9pm, then studying until I fall asleep, just so I can keep up with my classmates. Unfortunately, in my case, there's no amount of thinking outside of the box that will make up for missing a week's worth of school in two classes. I am extremely envious that you get to go, though. Have a blast! :)

Congrats everyone! Don't think I can go to the conference...but we'll see. Finals start on 11/1. Boo

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, MS1

Is there a current scholar that can give advice on the amount of the initial payment that we will receive in November? How much do they give for equipment / books / insurance ect?

Also, I have already paid tuition for the past summer, and to my knowledge the scholarship covers 7/1/11 forward. Do they include this in the deposit, or does the school have to issue a refund?

I can't wait to meet everyone in NOLA! :)

Is there a current scholar that can give advice on the amount of the initial payment that we will receive in November? How much do they give for equipment / books / insurance ect?

Also, I have already paid tuition for the past summer, and to my knowledge the scholarship covers 7/1/11 forward. Do they include this in the deposit, or does the school have to issue a refund?

I can't wait to meet everyone in NOLA! :)

From year past, it seems we can have 10K easy!

No kidding?? Your school does not streamline the lectures?

I seldom watch the lectures anyway! I just read the materials and if I have questions, I end up reading the assigned chapters! Anyway, it's a different way of studying and it gives me more flexibility with my time!

Has anyone had a chance to go to that last link in the award email? The NHSC SP Customer Service Portal? I am trying to set up my account and it says they can't locate me in the system. I made a new account but it seems it doesn't pull up my info when I put in my SSN and DOB. Anyone else want to try and give it a whirl?

The amount of the initial payment depends on your individual school. Whatever the school reports to the government as the average amount of money for equipment, books, and insurance, is what the NHSC pays you. You can probably talk to someone in the Financial Aid office, ask them what they report as estimated costs for these things, and guess how much the NHSC will pay you based on what your Financial Aid office says.

The school will issue you a refund if you have already paid for July.

Has anyone had a chance to go to that last link in the award email? The NHSC SP Customer Service Portal? I am trying to set up my account and it says they can't locate me in the system. I made a new account but it seems it doesn't pull up my info when I put in my SSN and DOB. Anyone else want to try and give it a whirl?

hahaha thought i was the only ONE! I just gave up, man!!!

I'm already a little frustrated with trying to contact the NHSC, and it's only been a week:). I can't say I wasn't warned though.

Anyway, maybe someone here could help me out. I am trying to figure out how the NHSC does the Other Reasonable Cost stuff. Specifically, how they account for health insurance required by the school. Here is my situation.

My school requires health insurance. In our official budget it sets aside $3,000 for health insurance (but this isn't charged as a tuition or a fee). They get this number based off the school's Grad Student Health Insurance policy, which is pretty nice. Currently, I am on my wife's insurance through her work, since it is less expensive, but it is not as nice. The school doesn't care, as long as I'm insured.

My question is, will NHSC handle this 1) by depositing $3000 in my account as part of the ORC payment since my school budgets for $3000 for insurance, and if I go with an insurance that costs more, I pay the difference, if it costs less I keep the difference? or 2) by requiring a documentation of what insurance I went with and how much that costs and then will refund that UP to the $3000 my school budgeted.

The deadline for me to decide insurance-wise is tomorrow, but I can't get a hold of anyone at NHSC other that a front line call center rep.

Also, how do other ORC things work? Like books. Do I submit receipts for books I got and NHSC refunds that? Or do they take the estimated cost of books that my school puts on our budget and it is up to me if I want to buy the book or not?

Anyone know the answers?

Also, how do other ORC things work? Like books. Do I submit receipts for books I got and NHSC refunds that? Or do they take the estimated cost of books that my school puts on our budget and it is up to me if I want to buy the book or not?

As I alluded to in my post earlier in the thread, for books, you DO NOT submit receipts. The NHSC will reimburse you the ESTIMATED COST of books that your school puts in your budget. If you never buy a single new book, and all of your books for school end up costing you $10, well, then, you keep the difference. No one forces you to use up the entire ORC amount that you get, and no one checks to see how much of it you actually ended up using.

Anyway, maybe someone here could help me out. I am trying to figure out how the NHSC does the Other Reasonable Cost stuff. Specifically, how they account for health insurance required by the school. Here is my situation.

My school requires health insurance. In our official budget it sets aside $3,000 for health insurance (but this isn't charged as a tuition or a fee). They get this number based off the school's Grad Student Health Insurance policy, which is pretty nice. Currently, I am on my wife's insurance through her work, since it is less expensive, but it is not as nice. The school doesn't care, as long as I'm insured.

My question is, will NHSC handle this 1) by depositing $3000 in my account as part of the ORC payment since my school budgets for $3000 for insurance, and if I go with an insurance that costs more, I pay the difference, if it costs less I keep the difference? or 2) by requiring a documentation of what insurance I went with and how much that costs and then will refund that UP to the $3000 my school budgeted.

The deadline for me to decide insurance-wise is tomorrow, but I can't get a hold of anyone at NHSC other that a front line call center rep.

If your school tells them that insurance is required and that you MUST buy the school's insurance plan, then the NHSC will give you $3000.

If your school tells them that insurance is required, but that students can opt out and buy whatever insurance plan they want, that's a different story. They will either give you the $3000 that a typical student at your school would end up using, or they will ask for receipts and pay you back the exact amount that you paid to buy the insurance plan.

To be honest, I would just go with the school's recommended insurance plan, and make it clear with everyone (particularly your financial aid office) that this is what you are doing. I bought my own insurance plan, and while that was fine during the first year I got the scholarship, something happened the second year - either the school forgot to report it to the NHSC, or something. But the NHSC didn't include any money for health insurance in my ORC disbursement the second year, and it took, literally, 7 months to get the issue resolved. I had to photocopy receipts, get my insurance company to send them a bill, etc. It was awful. By the time I was finally reimbursed for the health insurance I had bought, I was about ready to graduate. Seriously.

The path of least resistance is frequently the best with the NHSC.

Furthermore, I doubt that an NHSC rep would be of much help. If you got Mary on the phone today, she'd give you one answer; if you called back and got John on the phone next week, you'd probably get a very different answer. The rules are many and nebulous and the answers are frequently unclear.

Last edited:
If your school tells them that insurance is required and that you MUST buy the school's insurance plan, then the NHSC will give you $3000.

If your school tells them that insurance is required, but that students can opt out and buy whatever insurance plan they want, that's a different story. They will either give you the $3000 that a typical student at your school would end up using, or they will ask for receipts and pay you back the exact amount that you paid to buy the insurance plan.

To be honest, I would just go with the school's recommended insurance plan, and make it clear with everyone (particularly your financial aid office) that this is what you are doing. I bought my own insurance plan, and while that was fine during the first year I got the scholarship, something happened the second year - either the school forgot to report it to the NHSC, or something. But the NHSC didn't include any money for health insurance in my ORC disbursement the second year, and it took, literally, 7 months to get the issue resolved. I had to photocopy receipts, get my insurance company to send them a bill, etc. It was awful. By the time I was finally reimbursed for the health insurance I had bought, I was about ready to graduate. Seriously.

The path of least resistance is frequently the best with the NHSC.

Furthermore, I doubt that an NHSC rep would be of much help. If you got Mary on the phone today, she'd give you one answer; if you called back and got John on the phone next week, you'd probably get a very different answer. The rules are many and nebulous and the answers are frequently unclear.

Thanks for the quick response. That sounds like a logical plan. So for you, when you went with the alternative plan your first year, did they just reimburse you back for the amount you paid? How did they do that? Did your school have to report to them how much your insurance plan cost?

So, you think it is highly unlikely it would end up like the books allotment, where they give me the amount the school budgets (they don't dictate what plan I get) and I would keep a difference if my wife's plan ended up being less? Just want to make sure. Thanks again!

Oh, I somehow missed this paragraph the first time. K. So there basically is no way to know for sure. K. Thanks for the information. I'll think a bit more about this and maybe try my hand at one more day trying to contact them tomorrow, and if not, just pick a choice and hope for the best:). Thanks again.

Ok, just want to make sure I didn't miss anything...are we supposed to submit anything at this point to let them know we're onboard with everything? I know we have a conference call next week...that's it right??

I know we can register for the conference, but I'm still unable to login to the portal...

Just want to make sure I'm not missing any deadline!

Thx

Ok, just want to make sure I didn't miss anything...are we supposed to submit anything at this point to let them know we're onboard with everything? I know we have a conference call next week...that's it right??

I know we can register for the conference, but I'm still unable to login to the portal...

Just want to make sure I'm not missing any deadline!

Thx

Not that I know of. I think we are good to go from here. Just wait for the deposit.

Btw, for the benefit of the others. I did end up talking to someone who was very helpful with the financial part. He seemed to be the one in charge of figuring out what is going to be paid to the school or to you in the ORC. This is what I found out in my case:

He pulled up my school's submission to them. Apparently our school submitted something in August (I didn't realize this, maybe my financial advisor just kept it from me) that told NHSC what was a tuition or a fee and should be paid to the school, and what should be paid to us in the ORC. So in my instance he told me that my health insurance was marked by the school as a student responsibility or something similar, which meant that they were just going to throw what the school budgeted for that in the ORC and it is my responsibility to get insurance. He also showed that an estimate for books were put in there and that would be in the ORC along with the backdated stipends. Interestingly enough my 4k instrument fee was marked to be given to me as an ORC when that seems like it should be a school fee, but that may have been a school mistake.

Anyway, he was very helpful to talk to. He said the disbursements should be in November. Oh, and he also clarified the scholarship deal for me. It seems like all their statements about refunding scholarships to the source and invoicing them, or just invoicing them the balance after your scholarship is accounted for refers to Federal money (that maybe has to be used for tuition?). So it sounds like private scholarships or school scholarships should now be in addition to the NHSC money and come to you as a refund (yay).

PM me if you have any specific money questions and I can give you his contact info. Hope that helps.

He pulled up my school's submission to them. Apparently our school submitted something in August (I didn't realize this, maybe my financial advisor just kept it from me) that told NHSC what was a tuition or a fee and should be paid to the school, and what should be paid to us in the ORC.

I may be wrong, but couldn't this info come from your NHSC application, specifically the supporting document part dealing with Current Year Tuition and Fees Schedule?? I am saying this because when I asked my school for this info, the documents they gave me included fee for everything from books to tuition, etc!!

Last edited:
I may be wrong, but couldn't this info come from your NHSC application, specifically the supporting document part dealing with Current Year Tuition and Fees Schedule?? I am saying this because when I asked my school for this info, the documents they gave me included fee for everything from books to tuition, etc!!

Could be, but he seemed to say that it was something the school filled out, and that they designated what the student was responsible for paying (therefore in the ORC) and what was a tuition or fee. But it could be that as well. Who knows. But it was nice to know how things would be classified.

Bummer, my school just told me today that the academic scholarship and other scholarships I have would be yanked since my tuition and fees are covered, even though they wouldn't even put me close to being over the Cost of Attendance. So much for encouraging public service:).

Is anyone else having troubles getting a flight itinerary emailed to them for the conference? I've filled that thing out twice now and still havent received any emails.

Is anyone else having troubles getting a flight itinerary emailed to them for the conference? I've filled that thing out twice now and still havent received any emails.

I had no problem with the flight itinerary! Within 48 hours of filling out the form, they emailed me my flight info!

The only problem I have encountered was when I said that I wanna do my residency in "INTERNAL MEDICINE," they wouldn't let me submit the form! ONLY when I entered "FAMILY MEDICINE" that I was able to submit! Strange!!! Didn't have the time to call NHSC, so I left as FM!

I filled it out last Thursday and haven't gotten a response. And I emailed them to find out about the BCRS website access and haven't gotten a response. I'm so stressed with school that I don't care about the New Orleans trip anyways.