NHSC Scholarship Program 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the award email too! :)
Congrats everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

:)

here is to 4 years in alaska.

JK

Congrats to all those that got the NHSC scholarship this year! I plan on applying for it next year when I start medical school, and am wondering how the application process was?

Is it mainly just questions about your financial situation, or do we have to write some essays as well? I am really excited for the opportunity to apply for this scholarship, I have wanted to do rural medicine for a long time now and this is the perfect scholarship for that route!

Also, does anyone know exactly how competitive the scholarship is? I noticed that on the website and was wondering if there were stats anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any other applicants out there who haven't received word either way yet? My status is still "Under Verification Review". I just called and they said they are sending out offers in waves, and I know some other applicants at my school got rejections as recently as a week ago. It'd be nice to know one way or the other.

Anyone else still in limbo?

I have not heard either way. I'm hopeful that some of us will get good news next Monday, which was the last notification date in 2011. Here's to hoping against hope, my heart is in public health and participation in this program would mean a lot to me.

Still waiting...I assume the thin envelope is in the mail.

Congrats to all those that got the NHSC scholarship this year! I plan on applying for it next year when I start medical school, and am wondering how the application process was?

Is it mainly just questions about your financial situation, or do we have to write some essays as well? I am really excited for the opportunity to apply for this scholarship, I have wanted to do rural medicine for a long time now and this is the perfect scholarship for that route!

Also, does anyone know exactly how competitive the scholarship is? I noticed that on the website and was wondering if there were stats anywhere.

Hi! The application does contain essay questions. I want to say there were 3 but I don't quite remember now. You also need two letters of recommendation, 1 academic and 1 non-academic. There are also some other forms you have to submit which are provided in the application.

We had a webinar on Saturday and they said there were 212 awards out of 3,000 applications for this year.

I just called and they said they have had "technical difficulties" with the emails and that all of us who have not yet heard should hear by the end of the week. He also said not to assume that since you haven't heard you didn't get the scholarship.

Hi! The application does contain essay questions. I want to say there were 3 but I don't quite remember now. You also need two letters of recommendation, 1 academic and 1 non-academic. There are also some other forms you have to submit which are provided in the application.

We had a webinar on Saturday and they said there were 212 awards out of 3,000 applications for this year.

Thank you thank you!!!

Has everyone heard? Anyone else in my boat of not hearing anything?

I haven't heard either. Anyone who has already heard, do they email you as well as snail mail?

212/3000 apps.
congrats to all who made it in.
Sequence of events for my case:
ia:
mcat, april 2013
school apps (round about)
ia:
get accepted somewhere good *UoC* hopeful
ia:
apply to nhsc for the 2014 school year. (commit)

I just discovered the NHSC Scholarship. I finished my premed/undergrad a couple yrs ago but have felt so discouraged with the price of med school that I have yet to take my MCAT & apply. I am hoping to take the MCAT Spring 2014. But this scholarship seems pretty awesome. I'm just curious- do you have to be admitted into med school first in order to apply for the scholarship? Any advice on order of application would definitely be appreciated! :)

Yes, you will need to be enrolled in a health profession school.To qualify in the program

Would anyone mind placing the last year's essay questions on this thread? I would like to get to essay questions over with during winter break instead of working on it during the spring semester. Thanks!

Would anyone mind placing the last year's essay questions on this thread? I would like to get to essay questions over with during winter break instead of working on it during the spring semester. Thanks!

The NHSC posts them on their website. (http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/downloads/spapplicationguide.pdf)

Essays. Applicants are required to respond to the following three essay questions. Responses to
essays must be uploaded as three separate documents, one document per essay. Each response
should be limited to 2,500 characters or less (about a half of a page).

• Essay 1: How will you contribute to the mission of the National Health Service Corps in
providing care to underserved communities?
• Essay 2: What experiences have you had or activities have you participated in that have
prepared you to work with underserved populations?
• Essay 3: Please discuss your commitment to pursue a career in primary health care.

Reactions: 1 user