NHSC scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nick Le

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am just wondering whether or not it is worth to apply for the NHSC scholarship. I am an incoming freshman dental student this fall. I am going to my state school. I think the tuition fee flat is 30k/yr without books, supplies, insurances,... I will rent an apartment close to dental school once school is started. The total cost to go to dental school per year is estimated around 70k. For 4 yrs, the total loans should be around 300k. I don't know whether or not it is worth for me to apply NHSC scholarship this year. I still don't know if I want to specialize after dental school.
I'm just curious how grad. dental students pay for student loans. Do they join big corporations to get big money or work for someone else?
I'm just overwhelmed with the student loans that I have to borrow in dental school.

Members don't see this ad.

"Worth it" is very individual specific. I am biased but I think 300k+ of free dental education is worth it. You get to pick your location to work (for the most part) and the NHSC salaries are pretty good too. You can always apply and turn it down if you change your mind....though to be honest getting the offer is no easy task either. PM me if you have other/specific questions. Good luck.

Don't apply. I don't need anymore competition than I already have.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
I am just wondering whether or not it is worth to apply for the NHSC scholarship. I am an incoming freshman dental student this fall. I am going to my state school. I think the tuition fee flat is 30k/yr without books, supplies, insurances,... I will rent an apartment close to dental school once school is started. The total cost to go to dental school per year is estimated around 70k. For 4 yrs, the total loans should be around 300k. I don't know whether or not it is worth for me to apply NHSC scholarship this year. I still don't know if I want to specialize after dental school.
I'm just curious how grad. dental students pay for student loans. Do they join big corporations to get big money or work for someone else?
I'm just overwhelmed with the student loans that I have to borrow in dental school.

Yes it is worth applying. It's one of the simplest application processes for a full-scholarship you'll ever encounter, and you get to choose your site as long as it meets a certain HPSA score. If not, NHSC loan repayment is also a very good deal.