NHSC worth it financially or not???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NHSC student to student loan forgiveness worth it financially or not???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

KCOM2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Extremely basic financial strategy question... Because $320k in loans freaks me out!!! ...

Is the NHSC student to student loan forgiveness program worth it financially for general internal medicine? Or, would I make more as a hospitalist such that the NHSC would be a poor financial decision?

The program offers up to $120k in forgiveness for 3 years of full-time work at specific, approved practices or hospitals in underserved areas.

Members don't see this ad.

No not worth it. These specific, approved areas change from year to year and can force you to move or live in areas you do not want to live in. Plus you can do locums as a hospitalist and more than make up for this 120k over 3 years.

This topic was cross posted - it is now in the NHSC forum. Please go there to reply. Closing.

As an aside, the "approved areas" don't necessarily change from year to year. The site that I am at has had the same HPSA score for the past 3 years. The NHSC also says that if the site's HPSA score changes, they will not force you to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.